Re: Ouimet Gone

He's Leaving!?

• Banned User

I don't freaking believe this!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

I sure hope the new guy isn't another Pressler and lets the park go to hell again.
    Mike

•   
    • Minion

It would be nice to see something soon on MiceAge regarding this... (Hint, hint...)
    Check out my other blog:

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    Isn't TDR supposed to be a very well run place? I mean, maybe this is just a giant step sideways.
    It is supposed to be a very well run place. But I think we need somebody with more knowledge of the Tokyo Disney Resort to tell us exactly what he did. Grier worked for Disney while in Japan, but Disney does not run the Tokyo Disney Resort.

• The Magics in the details

Unfortunately, it is ABSOULTELY TRUE. Matt has accepted a position as PRESIDENT, STARWOOD. Below is Matt's farewell letter to the cast, in it's intirety:

"Dear Team:

For the past seventeen years, my family and I have been part of something very special — we have been part of the larger Disney family. This week, that chapter of our lives ends as I've accepted the position of President, Hotel Group with Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary people who collectively make up our Cast. It has been an honor to watch your hard work come to life as ships were launched, resorts were opened and theme parks sprung up around the globe.

Representing you in the local community has been humbling and very rewarding. At every event I attended, someone — usually multiple people — told me their story of how one of our Cast Members made a difference in their lives.

It has been an honor to be a small part of the legacy that is Disneyland during the celebration of its 50th anniversary. From my office window, I can clearly see the Matterhorn, Space Mountain and the Tower of Terror — and I am certain my new office will have a much less compelling view. In a three minute walk I can enter Toontown and wander the Park. Most of the time I'm just enjoying watching our Guests and our Cast … and that is what I will miss most of all.

On a recent trip to Walt Disney Imagineering, I had the opportunity to look at the future of the Disneyland Resort through the lens of an Imagineer, and I left that session with a big smile on my face — but knowing that I'd have to watch this magic play out from a distance.

Please accept my sincere appreciation for everything you've done for our Guests, your fellow Cast Members and my family and me.

Matt Ouimet"

Sad day.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

• Banned User

I still can't freaking believe this!

Think I'm having a Disney mid-life crisis

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    I have this bridge I've been wanting to sell. Would you be interested?
    Better whip out the "For Sale" signs

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Starwood Hotels ROCK! I LOVE them!! I just thought I'd get that out there. You may now continue
    The "Heavenly Bed" is the bomb!

And I'm saddened by this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Thanks so much for the scoop Disney_Debbie, and thank you for our sharp eye. I do apologize for the skeptisism, but we see A LOT of rumors fly through here and this is one that many people would rather not be true. I am sure that we'll hear more about this soon from Al. In the meantime, let's hope that the guy who is taking his place is as good as he was. Ouimet virtually saved Disneylands 50th from certain obscurity, he pushed the park (DL) back up to snuff and it has really not looked this good in a long time.
    Last edited by Fishbulb; 07-25-2006 at 08:50 AM.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    I still can't freaking believe this!

Think I'm having a Disney mid-life crisis
    How can you have any kind of mid-life crisis... you're not even up to a mid-teen crisis yet!

• Rock Star Minion

That's a shame. I guess he didn't want to work under Al Weiss. The money is probably better. And he won't have to live in Sunny California anymore. White Plains, NY? Doesn't sound nearly as good as The OC.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• The one, the only...

FIRST, THIS IS TRUE!

I know that all of us Disneyland Fans appreciate the work that Matt Ouimett did at Disneyland. I really wish him the best in his new job.

SECOND, WHY?

As has been pointed out, he is taking a job at a lesser company. He will be a big fish in a small pond now. The question is why? He was having such success at DL. There was speculation just a few months ago about him taking the WDW position. Whether that was anything serious or not, the fact still is that he was in some way unhappy with his position at DL or Disney was unhappy with him. I believe that it was more likely that Matt was fighting an upward battle with Disney management who saw cost cutting as the only route to increasing profits.

I am saddened by Matt's departure and hope that his successor has the same vision he had for DL.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    How can you have any kind of mid-life crisis... you're not even up to a mid-teen crisis yet!
    lol, it was a joke - I'm just surprised Matt is leaving.

He was such a great asset to Disney. Its like a father leaving his healing daughter or something.

Oh well....

No problem Fish. I understand the skeptism. I got to meet Matt and talk to him about somethings happening at the resort and I he left you with the impression that he was really listening and cared. I wish him and his family well.

And I agree the heavenly bed is wonderful. We own one and I have not had a sore back since. Now we are trying to decided if we want to get the heavenly shower head.

Debbie

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast