Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Matt Ouimet's Farewell letter to CM's

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz
    I'm disoppointed. Matt has done a lot of good. I never even heard of this hotel chain.
    It's more like a chain of chains.

(I don't know what's with that font. Just pasted it from their web site.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    It's a more exciting, challenging, assignment, with a much more global reach (along with the exciting challenge of managing people in 82 countries and cultures) than anything Disney can offer at TDA.
    In fact, it's good for Matt. He'll step up to top management. Just thinking out loud here: someday, when Iger retires, they will certainly look to people outside of Disney who are presidents and CEOs to replace Iger. Who knows. Matt may be back someday, as Head Cheese.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• The Fantasyland guy

This is a sad.. sad.. day. Matt is one of the biggest reasons that my whole family got PAP's. I simply told them what Matt has done and how he is loved by everyone and everyone agreed that "Disneyland was back!"

Matt was a big reason for that feeling.

• Keep Moving Forward

no one at work told us he was leaving.. so I am really really surprised
    You said it! Part of my job is to post the portal messages... imagine my surprise when it was done without my knowing! Someone at DLR must have done it.

It will be an interesting few years to come. I don't think we will see a downturn in quality, but a continued upkeep of the past few years.
    U S E Y O U R I M A G I N A T I O N

Member/Founder of the SSC (Small Signature Club).

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    I wouldn't agree that this position is lackluster. The Anaheim property is in one location, and has three hotels. Starwood holds over a quarter million guest rooms at 750-plus properties across 82 countries, including properties that cater to all types of theme parks and tourist attractions. It's a more exciting, challenging, assignment, with a much more global reach (along with the exciting challenge of managing people in 82 countries and cultures) than anything Disney can offer at TDA.
    Well, perhaps it isn't as dismal as it appears on the surface. At least Matt is, apparently, leaving out of his own desire - and proven track record at Disneyland. His expertese might even foster much needed creative improvements at other theme parks - perhaps even Disney, indirectly.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    In fact, it's good for Matt. He'll step up to top management. Just thinking out loud here: someday, when Iger retires, they will certainly look to people outside of Disney who are presidents and CEOs to replace Iger. Who knows. Matt may be back someday, as Head Cheese.
    Great point. There was no upward movement in Parks and Resorts as long as Weiss and Rasulo are still there. I don't think he was happy about the additional layer of management/bureaucracy put in recently. Having Lasseter throwing his weight around, while possibly a positive for the park, might have been an undermining of authority, too.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I'm your huckleberry.

That's a great point, I didn't think of that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Closed Account

I wonder if his session with WDI was the straw that broke the camels back? Perhaps he was against the entire purchase of Pixar understanding how Steve Jobs would become the largest share holder and how John Lassiter would be given "carte blanc" to do as he pleases to the animationa and WDI side of things........................?

• All you need is LOVE

So true he could come back as the head cheese.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Thanks for your insight and perspective on this matter, Keven. Point well taken. Ouimet likely had the possibility of becoming Disney's top dog at some point in the future in mind, He had risen to a high-end dead end position of sorts. Walt's footprints are all over Disneyland. Those footprints did not end there, by any means. If they had, there would be no Walt Disney World...and likely nothing left of the company other than a homeless little mouse.

Good luck Matt, wherever life's grand adventure may take you!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-25-2006 at 12:46 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
    I wonder if his session with WDI was the straw that broke the camels back?
    If you read his farewell letter carefully, it sounds like he knew he was leaving when he attended the WDI meeting. Since an individual knows if one is leaving before any company official, he would have to maintain his regular schedule before the announcement.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

I think he has decided for awhile that he wants to go. This way everything he did will be remembered as good and the blaime can go to the next guy.

Wow

I can't believe it

• Plastic Monkey

didnt al mention a while back about matt planning to leave anahiem? something about his family being unhappy, though this was to return to orlando.
    We Play Rock and Roll

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast