Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Identify this Tiki Room song

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    There's an old Annette Funicello LP called "Hawaiiannette" that was recorded in 1960 (got some great cheesy but fun "Hawaiian" tunes on it, BTW ...and some of the background music, voices and riffs sound like the same crew that later worked on Tiki Room. Especially in the song "Luau Cha-Cha-Cha"...which also appeared as a single.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the same team worked on both.
    If I'm not mistaken, Pineapple Princess was written by the Sherman brothers. All of her songs were on Vista Records, except her first hit,
    "Tall Paul" was on Disneyland Records, #118.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd
    As the sun pulls away from the shore, and our boat sinks slowly in the West, we approach the island of Lu-Lu! Spelled backwards, Ul-Ul! Ah, in the distance we hear Spike Jones and his wacky Wakakians!

I believe that great parody by Spike Jones was a take off on the very popular radio show of the day..."Hawaii Calls"...which was somewhat famous for it's rather picturesque intros by Webley Edwards, which always ended with:

"From the banyan court of the Moana Hotel overlooking bee-you-tiful Waikiki Beach, it’s . . . HAWAII CALLS!"

The show ran from the 1930's until the mid 1970's and was responsible for introducing millions of Mainlanders to Hawaii and it's popular music. Lot's of comedians did take-offs on it, even a few on early TV.

Here's Walt, Roy and their wives suckin' down tropicals, just next door at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel:

Wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the Disney's took in the Hawaii Calls show while on vacation there.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 07-31-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    millions of Mainlanders
    Haoles!
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• Parmageddon Jim

Thanks Opus1guy, I did a quick search and, whaddayaknow, Hawaii Calls!

Enjoy, and A-LO-ha!
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd
    Thanks Opus1guy, I did a quick search and, whaddayaknow, Hawaii Calls!

Enjoy, and A-LO-ha!
    Hey, Thanks for that link! I'll give a full listen when I get a chance.

Although that particular broadcast was from a performance at the Outrigger Reef Hotel, rather than their normal location in the Banyan Courtyard at The Moana. Hawaii Calls also moved to the Ilikai Hotel for a brief period late in it's life. They also went "on-the-road" with the show on occasion.

FYI...there's also a connection between your "A-LO-ha!" and that very same Moana Hotel. That now long-popular stretched out A-Lo-Ha exclamation and particular use of the world "aloha"...originated at the same Moana Hotel ("The First Lady of the Pacific") that was Hawaii Calls' home. It was the unique way that the gentleman that operated the Moana's elevator (in those days, cage elevators had a person that manually ran the controls inside the elevator) greeted the riders...with a big stretched-out "Ahh-Low-HA!" It was so popular folks started mimicking it and soon every entertainer and tour guide in the islands was greeting customers that way! And it's still SOP to hear it that way all over the islands.

Sorry, I can't recall the gentleman's name. I used to know it. Afraid I'm at the point in life where my mind has shifted into "Reverse."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12