Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Could Subs open sooner?????

Everyone anticipates Nemo Subs for this year. Al has reported the opening is scheduled for the July 4th weekend.

I just believe that is TOO LATE for next year. I believe it should open at least a month before that. Why? 1) To allow locals to see it before the summer crowds to avoid this year's POTC traffic jam. 2) Get the ride tested and bugs worked out before it is put on peak demand. (Remember what happened this year when Pirates opened only to have daily shutdown causing flaw!)

Now is this possible to move up the date? Well, remember that Space Mountain was not going to open until most of the 50th celebration was over. Remember that Matt forced Disney to spend overtime to get SM up and running before summer. That cost LOTS of money but it was worth it since it really was popular for guests. I cannot even image what the 50th would have been like without SM for most of last year! So anything is possible if enough money is spent.

I think we need that kind of leadership to get the Subs up and running AHEAD of schedule. I think with an early summer, positive "buzz" on the Subs, summer crowds will pack the park. Otherwise, if there is any setback in the schedule, Subs might not open even at the beginning of July. I think some out-of-town guests might delay their trip to DL to see the new attraction, reducing summer attendance.

What do you think? Is opening early important?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Could Subs open sooner?????

Well, if the lacals were able to experience the new sub ride first, perhaps significantly fewer if them would ride on any given day when the summer crowds are there. The net result is that everyone would be more free to enjoy!

Of course Disney could bump the ride's opening up a notch by throwing more money at it, and hiring more craftsmen. One should also bear in mind the old arguement that local AP holders spend less money than visiters from other areas.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• old skooler

wow if it opens on the july 4th weekend my advise would be to stay clear of disneyland but i agree they should give the locals a sneak peak i remeber a friend of mine said they did that for the tot or it mite have been for the employees and there familys well something like that

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I went to one or the TOT previews...that was the first time I ever went to DCa...and it was at night which was even cooler

I agree that there will probably be a lot of downtime in the first few weeks of operation, and being that it's such a low capacity attraction to begin with, it's going to be insane if they don't do something about pushing the date up.

I mean, look at Pirates when it reopened. It had downtimes and long lines, and it was only gone for a couple months.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

There has been some discussion about the fact that the "locals" and SoCal AP holders will be blocked out during the anticipated opening of the subs. On one side, it would be great if the huge glut of AP holders who have waited soooooo long for the subs to return could get their rides and get out of the way of the summer tourists. On the other side, maybe the lines for the newly refurbished ride will be a little shorter if the APs are blocked out during the initial days.

This is a MAJOR refurbishment. Gobs of money are going into the sub lagoon. Mr. Lassiter's tweaking is probably giving the bean counters ulcers.

Mr. Ouimett, who moved heaven and earth to get Space Mountain opened early, is leaving.

Therefore, anticipated opening dates are subject to change.

My opinion: It will be open when it's open. If I'm blocked out at that time, I will be jealous of those who get the first rides, but I'll live... and I'll wait. WDW's sub lagoon is now a memory forever. At least I'll once again (whenever it is) be able to ride this iconic Disney attraction at Disneyland. I'll take it.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    This is a MAJOR refurbishment. Gobs of money are going into the sub lagoon. Mr. Lassiter's tweaking is probably giving the bean counters ulcers.

Mr. Ouimett, who moved heaven and earth to get Space Mountain opened early, is leaving.

Therefore, anticipated opening dates are subject to change.

My opinion: It will be open when it's open. If I'm blocked out at that time, I will be jealous of those who get the first rides, but I'll live... and I'll wait. WDW's sub lagoon is now a memory forever. At least I'll once again (whenever it is) be able to ride this iconic Disney attraction at Disneyland. I'll take it.
    VERY well stated! I have no desire for the ride to open early. If it takes them more than another year I wouldn't care. These rides last a LONG time in the park and to shave a few months off just so we can see it early doesn't make sense when you have to look at it for the next 10-20 years (or more). I think a few months of waiting is a small price to pay for something worthwhile to look at for decades to come. Don't get me wrong, in the back of my mind I want to see it open right now, this very day, but patience always gains you better stuff than haste.

If Lasseter closed down the ride until 2008 to make major revisions that would majorly help the ride, I'd be all for it. And Space Mountain didn't come away unscathed from the fast-forward. Rockit Mountain was rushed and eventually scrubbed for 2006 due to it being rushed.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I don't think this can be compared to the reopening of Pirates at all. While subs are techinically reopening there is no crew trained to operate them. Pirates had a crew already trained and it was felt that soft openings would not be needed. I just can't see Disney trying for a 100% go without some serious soft open time.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    I don't think this can be compared to the reopening of Pirates at all. While subs are techinically reopening there is no crew trained to operate them. Pirates had a crew already trained and it was felt that soft openings would not be needed. I just can't see Disney trying for a 100% go without some serious soft open time.
    that and subs has had more infulstructure changes to the attraction then what Pirates did (I mean they're even making the showbuilding bigger)

anywho it's very true that these attractions will be around for a long time and it might be a good idea for Disney to keep AP's blocked from DL for a while so the subs can get through its initial soft opening days without getting too horrible

besides it's also been said that the rush building of Space Mountain is what led to the absence of things like Rockit Mountin this year and even a few effects had to be sacrificed

as it stands I'd perfer for every effect they can get into the subs to be placed in there before it opens

My prediction is that the So Cal Annual Pass (both deluxe and basic) will be a thing of the past soon, so people mobbing the opening of the subs with a cheap pass probably won't be a problem. I am all for the subs opening during block out dates, if you want to be one of the first people on the subs, then pay for a premium pass or pay $30 for the privilege. I think the subs will be the best ride Disneyland will have in many years, and will be worth blocking out the cheap passes to debut.
    Last edited by chrisaustx; 07-30-2006 at 11:16 AM.

• Banned User

I would rather they keep it closed longer to ensure the final product is high quality. Disneyland doesnt need a "tiki room under new management" or "journey into YOUR imagination" like Walt Disney world has.

• time to go

What I would like to see happen:

* Opening date no sooner than July 1. Nemo Subs does not need another "throngs of APs" fiasco like Pirates re-opening.

* At least one full month of ops testing, giving ample time for new CMs to get their sea legs and to identify/correct many bugs and glitches before opening.

* At least three special events held prior to opening -- not just the typical "one night only" -- to accommodate those who wish to pay added $$$ to avoid the two-hour-plus queues during regular park hours. Offer multi-tiers of service for these events, especially the bare bones "we just wanna ride and get an LE pin" experiences that most would gladly pay $50 to attend, especially with the opportunity to ride at least three times during the event. This would go a LONG way to stem the flow of negative sentiment, with the ride opening during the local AP blockout period. And these events would also provide more CM training and ops feedback.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I agree with those who say - take as long as is necessary to make sure it's right.

Plus, if you make it much earlier than July next year I'm sure you'll be running smack dab into the hysteria over "Pirates 3" next May...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

DO not rush this one...let them get it right and if takes all of 2007 to get it then so be it. They still have to close the Monorail to get the queue done and so they could do some heavy lifting. Cheers to all on waiting!
    Jason

• Basking in birthday love

As has been said before, Space Mountain reopened early at the expense of major show elements, including Rockit Mountain. Plus, the main reason for rushing to complete Space was Matt's realization that the plans for the 50th were a little skimpy, and that having a major E-ticket down during the big 50th summer wasn't exactly a bright idea. To me, the logistics of when the thing opens take a backseat to making sure that it's really and truly ready to open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast