Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is paradise pier hotel really that far away?

i know its a lil walk but is it really that bad?...after a long day...or midday?

Re: is paradise pier hotel really that far away?

I look at it the same way you do...after a long day or a hot midday retreat. I don't think it is that far. You can actually cut through the main lobby of the Grand Californian, through the front exit and use the crosswalk out front to get there pretty fast and with some A/C along the way. Somebody out there may have an even quicker route.

• no flash photography...

it's about as far as HOJO's I guess...it dosen't seem as far when you cut through the GCH. It was much better when the had the private entrance to DCA open....I haven't stayed there since, but we used the entrance alot.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Well. I guess if you look at it as just walking distance, it might be a little farther than most would like to walk, but it has never bothered us. Sure, it was better when the DCA entrance was still open. But when we used to stay there (PPH) on a regular basis, we enjoyed the walk along the pathway and through the grounds of the DL Hotel. The furthest that we would walk was to the Monorail station. No big deal. And during the construction of "the Resort", they had the Trams running and they would drop us off right behind the hotel's entrance. Walking is just like the crowds...It's part of the DL "experience". For the past 3 or 4 years, we have been staying in the Sierra Tower of the DL Hotel. Very short walk to the Monorail station from there, and really only a few minutes further from the PPH. Enjoy!

I love the PP hotel. The walk through the Grand is not that far,and when the Monorail goes down for refurb,it will probably be closer than the Disneyland Hotel!

• Minion

If you think the Walk to DLH from DL is not that Far than PPH is only a parking lot away.
    Jason

I've always found it sort of funny how some folks staying at Paradise Pier love to tell you how great it is to be staying "on property" when for much of it's life before Disney purchased it...those same folks would have considered it as just one of those many "off-property" hotels!

But in all honesty...it's a lot closer walking distance wise to the Parks than several of the "on-property" walking distance hotels at Disneyland Paris. You got quite-a-hike to the Park from several of those babies.

I think we were talking about the distance to DL,not your opinion of the PP. I think that the fact you live in So. Cal.,with one of those cheap AP's n your wallet,disqualifies you from an opinion on this subject, Opus1guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonorajoe
    I think that the fact you live in So. Cal.,with one of those cheap AP's n your wallet,disqualifies you from an opinion on this subject, Opus1guy!

But I don't have an Annual Pass and have never owned one!

I do however, still have over a hundred Comp passes that are still valid from my old "Disney days." Of course, if we're dining at Club 33 we get free passes for that day from the Club. But if we're just visiting the Parks...it's an old paper Compy that gets exchanged at Guest Relations...for us.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    I've always found it sort of funny how some folks staying at Paradise Pier love to tell you how great it is to be staying "on property" when for much of it's life before Disney purchased it...those same folks would have considered it as just one of those many "off-property" hotels!
    The fact that it wasn't always owned by Disney has nothing to do with it. Now that it is a Disney hotel you get the great Disney service (actually, I have stayed at all 3 hotels and PPH consistently has the friendliest service), hence the "on-property" perks. It has nothing to do with the hotel's physical location.

Back to the topic at hand. I have never felt that it was a bad walk to the PPH. We just cut through the GCH. It may be just as close (or closer for some) to stay at the Harbor hotels, but the view is a lot nicer!

• Tourist

It's funny how your mind can play tricks on you. We've stayed at the PPH under all four names (Emerald, Pan Pacific, Disney Pacific, and PPH). Before the resort expansion, it used to seem like a long walk from DL back to the hotel. But now that we walk back through DTD, it seems shorter.

We usually stop at Haagen-Dazs on the way back. I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Many folks have measured the distance using tools like Gmaps.com, and the distance from Paradise Pier Hotel, Howard Johnson's and Candy Cane Inn to the center of the Main Entry Plaza is the very close to the same (from the hotel lobby). Just under 3/4 of a mile.

Therefore, all the hotels on Harbor between the HoJo's and Candy Cane Inn are closer. Heck, places like the Park Vue Inn and the Best Western Park Place Inn are closer (lobby to center of MEP) than the Grand Californian is.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Winter in Oceanside...

If you walk thru the Grand Calif., it isn't that bad, but it is still not my favorite.

(the smilie should be smiling!) Glad to see you on these boards, Opus1guy!! Surprise, surprise!
    Last edited by PrincessY; 07-30-2006 at 06:51 PM.

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    But in all honesty...it's a lot closer walking distance wise to the Parks than several of the "on-property" walking distance hotels at Disneyland Paris. You got quite-a-hike to the Park from several of those babies.
    Yeah I did that walk ONCE. x.X That sucked royally. I agree that the on-property CA hotels are much, much closer than the ones at Euro-Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2DL
    Back to the topic at hand. I have never felt that it was a bad walk to the PPH.
    Well...that was what I was referring to in my posts: The distance that the original poster was inquiring about. How I thought it was funny that B.D. (Before Disney) many folks would have considered it far. But now that it's owned by Disney...some of the same folks think it's now really close. Simply because it's now considered an "on-property" hotel

It certainly didn't move closer to Disneyland's Main Entrance once Disney owned it!

10-97's Post #11 above was closer to what I was referring to.

This is just Marketing and perceptions, really. You can see similar only in a different direction with the Disneyland Hotel and the Monorail. Pre Downtown Disney, one of the Disneyland Hotel's main Marketing features was that it was "On-The-Monorail!" And folks were willing to pay a premium for that unique feature. But all that changed with the introduction of Downtown Disney and the "separation" of the Monorail Station from the Disneyland Hotel. It's now the Downtown Disney Monorail Station. So what's kind of funny now is that while the Disneyland Hotel is no longer considered "On-The-Monorail" and they no longer Market it as such...the Monorail Station is still exactly the same distance from the hotel as back when that was considered the Disneyland Hotel Station! It's just now that it's separated by a service road and some Downtown Disney elements. So really, it's just that the "border" of what constitutes Disneyland Hotel property got pushed back. The Monorail Station is still in the exact position it always was.

Funny how Marketing (and some design changes) can change perceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2DL
    The fact that it wasn't always owned by Disney has nothing to do with it. Now that it is a Disney hotel you get the great Disney service.
    Well, now that you bring up service ...I wish the Paradise Pier Hotel under Disney had one quarter the service levels this same hotel had back when the Japanese owned and operated it as The Emerald Hotel. That was a great first-class world-class hotel! Of course accordingly, it was priced pretty darn high back then. And for those that didn't know...that's where the restaurant Yamabuki originated. Yamabuki has carried over from The Emerald, to the Pan Pacific Hotel, to the Disney Pacific Hotel, to the Paradise Pier Hotel. That baby's got staying power!

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY
    Glad to see you on these boards, Opus1guy!! Surprise, surprise!

Thanks! You too!
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 07-30-2006 at 08:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast