Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fireworks no shoot on 7/30/06

wind was to strong and the works were no go to bad better luck on monday.

• Neep meep beep

Re: Fireworks no shoot on 7/30/06

Thanks for the update! I did see some strong winds a little further North (was in Santa Barbara), so I'm not surprised. The weather going from record heat to cold and overcast probably didn't help.

• Disney Geekstrordinaire

I post this knowing that "just because a CM says it doesn't make it so."
    A few months back, my roommate and I were awaiting the fireworks show and there were the announcements letting us know that there was a possibility of the show being cancelled. I was standing next to a CM who was saying that they don't like to cancel the show because it costs them near $300,000 each time. WTF? O_o
    To anyone who'd be "in the know": Is that true? Or is it as off-based as it seemed to me when I heard it...
    Go make a life, not a living.

During my last visit, on the night of July 11, they had to cut the show short due to high winds. It happened just as it was kicking into the Tommorowland part of the show and all of a sudden.... nothing. Everyone was sorta looking around like, 'huh?', and a voice came over announcing the end of the show.

Was a real bummer... fireworkus interuptus
    Trisha Jones: When are men going to learn that women want romance not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride?
    Brodie Bruce: Be fair, alright.... EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
    Mallrats(1995)

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by billwun
    During my last visit, on the night of July 11, they had to cut the show short due to high winds.
    I was there that night also. And there was no high winds. Even the smoke up in the higher altitudes of the show wasn't even moving. I have yet to see the complete show, and based on my schedule, I probably never will. It just seems that if there is a malfunction or something, they just blame it on the weather.

• Minion

<<A few months back, my roommate and I were awaiting the fireworks show and there were the announcements letting us know that there was a possibility of the show being cancelled. I was standing next to a CM who was saying that they don't like to cancel the show because it costs them near $300,000 each time. WTF? O_o
    To anyone who'd be "in the know": Is that true? Or is it as off-based as it seemed to me when I heard it...>>

I know they don't like to cancel it for several reasons: 1.) People complain 2.) They have already paid all the employees who are there directing traffic that could have gone home 3.) People complain 4.) The lines at City Hall become excessively long with people wanting their money back because they waited all day for the show 5.) The canons have been loaded and now have to sit, which for some of the explosives can cause issues 6.) They've paid all the guys who come in and do the pyro work, 7.) and People complain. etc...

Yes, it is expensive to do a cancel. They would prefer the weather cooperate. Sadly, people don't realize when the do cancel, its for our safety. The winds may be safe in one area, ie behind the Matterhorn, but not safe near the carnation cafe. There is a lot more involved than just winds in one particular area.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I haven't seen the full show since last summer, and I'm an AP >_<

I think we should start a thread documenting when the fireworks do an do not go up. I've seen them cancel it without hesitation during regular days of the week with no winds at all, then on a Friday or a Saturday, when there actually is somewhat of a breeze or worse, the show still goes on.

• A New Kind Of Villain

And sadly enough a few of us actually camped out on sunday in front of the castle since around 7:00 pm for the fireworks.

Fortunately we still had fun thanks to the company, the antics of the Nerd Herd and apparently my inability to keep quiet...

"OBJECTION!"

"OVERULED!"

"I'M NOT BADGERING THE WITNESS! HER TESTIMONY IS FAULTY!"

Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    I haven't seen the full show since last summer, and I'm an AP >_<

I think we should start a thread documenting when the fireworks do an do not go up. I've seen them cancel it without hesitation during regular days of the week with no winds at all, then on a Friday or a Saturday, when there actually is somewhat of a breeze or worse, the show still goes on.
    I've been very fortunate. Of the last 22 days we have visited the park (going back to Dec 23rd) we have only had 1 cancellation.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

They did the full fireworks show the Sunday before the 51st! I was fortunate enough to get a good seat for the show.

• Banned User

No go for Monday the 31st. I was in DCA roaming around waiting for them to go off, but never heard them. It was pretty windy before the show and there was a lot of cloud cover so I wasn't expecting anything.

Everything that has been said about the price of the fireworks and the fact that they don't like canceling is true......

No show on 8/1, but it sounded like they went off tonight 8/2 a few minutes late. Either that, or there were fireworks somewhere else.

• Sock Puppet

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=577168

But ya, they didn't go off Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, and I don't know about Wed.

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine
    No show on 8/1, but it sounded like they went off tonight 8/2 a few minutes late. Either that, or there were fireworks somewhere else.
    No "Remember". You heard Fantasmic.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast