• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Attn: Folks planning to fly into LAX to visit Disneyland - 1 of 4 runways closed

This morning, LAX has closed one of its 4 runways to totally remove it, and move it about 55 feet. This will allow a new taxiway, as well as allow the new Airbus A380 to land.

Work is expected to last about 8 months, and the FAA says that they don't expect more than 25 minute delays, though some folks disagree.

More info can be found in this LA Times news article...

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...avel-headlines
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Re: Attn: Folks planning to fly into LAX to visit Disneyland - 1 of 4 runways closed

ORGOCH: Thanks fer givin' a witch one more reason she's glad she flies broom sticks instead a one them dang planes!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Attn: Folks planning to fly into LAX to visit Disneyland - 1 of 4 runways closed

I want to know why they decided not to hold off on this project until after the traveling season ended?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

^They needed to get it done for the Airbus A380, and due to some recent near misses at the airport. Basically for safety issues.

But the airport is going to be a mess in inclement weather, as LAX only had 2 runways available for instrument landings, and of course, the closed runway was one of them, leaving just 1 runway open in bad weather.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I want to know why they decided not to hold off on this project until after the traveling season ended?
    There's not much of a difference between "traveling season" for tourists and "business all year 'round" for the other 75% of travelers.

I assume there would be fewer take-offs and landings, instead of trying to push them all to the other three?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Again! Again! Again!

I was wondering why they didn't start working on the new part of the runway before tearing up the old on. Then maybe they could have left the runway open a little longer. Oh well, I'm no contractor.

And since this is in effect for approx. 8 months, WDW trippers in October be sure to be there earlier than normal.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Circle of Ancients

25 minute delays??? Is that in addition to the normal delays you generally get at LAX???

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    25 minute delays??? Is that in addition to the normal delays you generally get at LAX???
    Oh yes, but the delays will be in landing, or taking off after boarding.

I wouldn't be too worried about having a plane leave early...

But as for arriving at LAX, or leaving the gate on time..... Bring a good thick book!!!!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4
    I was wondering why they didn't start working on the new part of the runway before tearing up the old on. Then maybe they could have left the runway open a little longer. Oh well, I'm no contractor.
    I'm guessing that the new runway is right next to the old one, or possibly overlaps it a bit.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Aww man, i'm leaving Thursday night (11 pm) to go to New York

• Newbie.

When I fly the company plane (Southwest) to go to Disneyland, I always fly into John Wayne Airport in Orange. I can't imagine why anyone would want to fly into LAX if they had a choice. I don't know, maybe the flights might be cheaper, but I'd rather spend my time in Orange County than waiting on the tarmac for a gate to become available at LAX. The last time (literally) I was at LAX we sat after landing for at least 45 minutes just to get to the gate. John Wayne is closer, smaller, easier to get around, and I was at my hotel in an hour after touchdown.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

8 months. Cool, I won't be flying into LAX again for another 21 months

I must say, the two times I flew into LAX last year caused me no problems whatsoever. Mind you, one of them was an international flight, and I think I was through customs about and on the road within 30 minutes of touchdown.

However, if I am flying internally to Anaheim next time, I may consider John Wayne as an alternative. Indeed, the very first time I went to Disneyland, way back in 1987, was via the JW Airport.

Hopefully there will be something to do in the international Qantas terminal next time I fly out...was bored witless for 3 hours last time.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks