Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Space Mountain track

from what I remember before the big refurb it didn't go as high into the dome as it does now, did they make the lift hill higher?

Re: Space Mountain track

They definitely built the foundation deeper into the ground... THAT I read. One thing I've figured out.. after riding it now several times is... they've actually made that first lift (the one that used to have those cheesey red arrows... but now has those cool dark orange lights with the 2 white circle lights that blink at the top while the com. chat is going on) taller/longer than it used to be... so it's putting you up slightly higher, initially, than before. But... to compromise... the 'spinning tunnel' doesn't seem THAT long to me... not as long as that same original lift did before... (the one with the fog and that little spinny light at the end)... so... I could be wrong... but I think they just designed it now to choose to lift you higher, initially, in the beginning. Maybe I'm just distracted... by looking at the spinning effect and the galaxy effect at the end of the tunnel now... so it doesn't SEEM as long as before... not sure... otherwise... regarding whether we're closer to the top of the ceiling (it is hard to tell since it's so dark in there now)... but I do remember CMs on chat boards - back during construction- who used to walk by the back of it and peek in and say they thought that part of the track looked higher to the ceiling.

• Sock Puppet

It does seem pretty close to the celing when you peek inside.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Cool, thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTom
    It does seem pretty close to the celing when you peek inside.
    see.. told you I had a good memory... thanks, Uncle Tom

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I know the foundation was lowered but much of that had to do with the new footers and structure for the new track...never heard they raised the lift hill...especially since the track is the same.

• Grumpy old man

If no one had told me, I wouldn't think that was a lift hill. For some reason it doesn't feel like one. Maybe it's the lack of feeling the height.

ok so this answer is coming from experience because i used to work the new space mountain. now yes they did build and entirely new track for the ride, but all three lift hills are from the original track. the new track doesnt start until about 20 feet down the first drop right after lift C. if you ever get stuck in the ride and walk down the lifts you can see the track changes. the old track has a cylinder backbone, whereas the new track has a rectangular backbone. this was done because new regulations required the rectangular backbone on all roller coaster tracks and the old track was ready for a replacement, however the imagineers determined that the lift hills and station track were still in good shape. so the lift hill is not higher...and yes they dug the foundation lower but added raisers to hold the track up to the height it used to be.

• Space Mountain Fanboy

I heard they didn't change the track layout at all. They just put in new track since the old track was falling apart.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

yeah, I was going to say that when you ride it, in the begining it just goes straight so they couldn't have made it lower unless they lowered the whole station... I don't know it just feels like it climbs higher into the dome.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I thought they changed the entire length out with new track that exactly followed the same path as the original track, but "Past Space Case" raises a very valid point - there isn't nearly the stress on the station and lift track because the cars are moving slowly. So just a thorough check and overhaul should be sufficient.

Oh, and of course the modification to add the sliding switch track for handicapped loading - that alone should eliminate many of the cascade stops during everyday operation - IF they take more effort to stress it's use...

They need to figure out a way to politely warn the people in the regular line that if they have any mobility issues where they can't get from the platform into the train and seated in 10 seconds, or out of the train and back on the platform in 10 seconds when they return, they need to ask for the HCA loading station. There's no shame in it, and they can avoid triggering a Cascade E-stop that will shut down the entire ride for at least a half hour.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that change in the track structure from a round to square backbone. Good clue catch there.

The deeper footings isn't surprising at all, considering that the CA Building Codes have been continually revised and are a lot more stringent - we've figured out that earthquakes are serious stuff. Which probably also translates to a lot heavier support structure and track tubing than before, and a lot heavier diagonal bracing.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    I thought they changed the entire length out with new track that exactly followed the same path as the original track, but "Past Space Case" raises a very valid point - there isn't nearly the stress on the station and lift track because the cars are moving slowly. So just a thorough check and overhaul should be sufficient.

Oh, and of course the modification to add the sliding switch track for handicapped loading - that alone should eliminate many of the cascade stops during everyday operation - IF they take more effort to stress it's use...

They need to figure out a way to politely warn the people in the regular line that if they have any mobility issues where they can't get from the platform into the train and seated in 10 seconds, or out of the train and back on the platform in 10 seconds when they return, they need to ask for the HCA loading station. There's no shame in it, and they can avoid triggering a Cascade E-stop that will shut down the entire ride for at least a half hour.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that change in the track structure from a round to square backbone. Good clue catch there.

The deeper footings isn't surprising at all, considering that the CA Building Codes have been continually revised and are a lot more stringent - we've figured out that earthquakes are serious stuff. Which probably also translates to a lot heavier support structure and track tubing than before, and a lot heavier diagonal bracing.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Great ideas! I like reading your post, you always know exactly what's going on. "you must spread some reputaion around before giving it to Bruce Bergman again"

To try and answer some questions/theories based on mild engineering education and a lot of observations, discussion and research on coaster engineering over the years:

The exact engineering and path of the track is different from before- it's just following the same layout. I haven't seen blueprints or heard directly from a design source like Vekoma or Imagineering, or a mechanic who worked on both versions, but I've heard casually that a lot of banking paths changed to better fit a heartline path (the roll axis is comfortable for riders but makes the track look a bit wonky since it rotates around a point in space, like a corkscrew rather than just a straight twist of the track) and better incorporates reliable block sections that slope down so gravity can help resetting cars from block brakes a bit better.

Of course I don't know anything about the height change, if there was one. :P BUT- if the layout including height of the spot in the track that has a switch for bringing in rockets from outside the building is the same, there hasn't been a height change of the track.

The supports don't really need to be beefier for earthquakes, just by being designed for multi-G turns and forces from heavy cars going through every 22 seconds for 16 hours a day 350+ days a year they're more than safe enough for earthquakes. The box spine and larger, less numerous tube supports just make for simpler assembly/design and simpler (and therefore better IMO) engineering. Also, there's a lot more clearance than before thanks to the simple supports. At least it sure feels like it!

So... to 'past space case'... and 'alpine'..since you guys seem to be in the know.... I swear, though, ...that first lift...(the one that used to have the goofy red arrow lights)... THAT now seems a little longer and angles slightly steeper... and the main big lift before you enter 'spece'... (the spinning tunnel)... does not seem as long as that final lift used to seem... (the one which had the mist/and 'twirly' light)... but.. are you telling me it all just 'feels'/appears different because of the new show they have in there now?

It does feel steeper, but remember, the "red arrow" lift is darker now, and you're descending toward a mirror in the roof (above the "power transfer" flashies).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast