Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by innerspacenut
    As an old guy who remembers the speed tunnel that was there before Tron, I'm crazy excited about the possibility of this attraction returning.
    The PM is not about excitement, it's about an attraction that almost never had a line, so I would go on it every single time. It was a chance to relax, talk to friends, make out, all while enjoying a ride. Bring it back like the WDW version, just update the tunnel (that's where the Cars tie in should happen, if Disney and Pixar are still on speaking terms).
    The only thing I'm surprised to not hear from this thread is how dangerous this attraction was. If I remember my Mousetales correctly, this ride killed a few people, dumb kids who would try to jump from one car to the next (cause the ride seemed boring and safe) and then get run over. Will this be addressed? Personally, I say bring it back, dangerous or not.
    Also, I rode this attraction literally hundereds of times and never once got stuck on it.
    Tommorowland in specific, and Disneyland in general, have not been the same since the PM and the buckets (OK, Skyway to you purists) were removed. Walt had a thing for transportation rides, and realized they had value not only as people eating attractions but also as aesthically pleasing background for the park in general.
    Is it too much to hope now for the Skyway?
    With Matt, he may look at some old pictures of The park with it and decide to bring it back! They could always have the cage type thing that's around the sunwheel cars.. That way no stupid people will throw anything out of it.

• A Disneylandian

Finally, Tomorrowland is slowly being returned to its pre '98 glory...

• Traveler to the south

Thumbs up

I say hoooray to a new People Mover!! Make it move nice and slow like the old one, it was a great way to get off your feet and relax in the midst of what used to be the hustle and bustle of Tomorrowland! Bring it on!
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

• Minion

Return of the People Mover

I'm excited for the return of the PM. It was a special time, for example to let grandparents take their grandchildren around TL and not get tired. They got to take a peek into all the buildings (attractions) they might not otherwise go in. When they do return there should be lots of eye candy throughout the buildings for all to see and wonder about.
    In regards to it not breaking down. I experienced something close to that which was pretty funny now, but not at the time could have been dangerous. Remember taking the ramp to the loading area? Well, it was very full, you might say packed. The esculator kept bringing more people up, but there was no place for them to go. Somebody wasn't watching, as it could have been very dangerous. But we got on and no one was hurt. Now it was pretty funny looking back at it.

I'm for the PM coming back. It was a decent attraction. It could surely be improved upon. The speed could be increased. Put windows along the track so riders can see the Buzz Lightyear attraction.

The Tron tunnel is no more. The second floor of Innoventions is where the tunnel used to be. The original Carousel of Progress PM track was rediscovered and the Rocket Rods used this old track section which runs around the back of the building. I would like to see a new Progress City upstairs at Innoventions, near the people mover windows like it was before America Sings took over.

I'm for putting the Rocket Jets back up where they belong. Put them back. Open up the Tomorrowland front entrance. Each land has a grand entryway. Let's give Tomorrowland its due. The entrance used to be wide and inviting. Reading Al's post was very exciting and its almost too good to be true. I hope that what Al has reported comes to pass.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Silent Bob's idea is awesome but it says it goes 20-60MPH? I thought nobody wanted a speed ride.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Question Why speed up the PeopleMover?

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Silent Bob's idea is awesome but it says it goes 20-60MPH? I thought nobody wanted a speed ride.
    I would rather see the PM go at about the same pace as it did before. Nice and slow, very relaxing. What's the point in going any faster? They aren't going to lengthen the ride and you're going to have to get off at the same point that you started. Plus, you will be walking around again as soon as you get off. So I ask again, what's the point in making it any faster? :confused: If it doesn't go fast enough for you, go get in line at Space Mountain.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Well, keep in mind that the system was designed with public transportation in mind, and 20 - 60 mph is actually pretty desirable for such a system if it's outside the Park. I would probably keep the speed on the low end of that spectrum if it were made into a PeopleMover for Disneyland, and even check with the manufacturer to see if it could also be run at slower speeds if necessary. I simply noted that aspect of it since there were a lot of people who actually do want a speedy ride there. I personally was quite content with the PeopleMover system as it already existed and never thought it should have been closed or altered, but if the idea is brought back, I'm not against the idea of it going faster to appeal to the speed freaks who used to pooh-pooh it because of its slow speed.

As it is, I think that the basic concept of the PeopleMover ride can be expanded upon and altered to treat it much like the Monorail has been treated (as a transport system that goes outside the Park), only with new and interesting variations. I've long thought it would be very cool to have the Monorail (or, in this case, the new PeopleMover) go from Disneyland to all the various major hotels in the area, as well as Anaheim Stadium (where there's an Amtrak station), and even eventually between Disneyland and John Wayne Airport (think of it - you land at John Wayne Airport, get your luggage, hop on a PeopleMover and you zoom away at 60 mph, arriving at the Disneyland Hotel in less than a half hour, totally bypassing rush hour traffic, and during the ride you make your reservations for dinner at the Blue Bayou that evening and purchase some Mouse Ears with your name on them. You arrive at the hotel, get checked in, change your clothes, and since you're so amped up already, you hop on yet another PeopleMover that takes you directly into the heart of Tomorrowland. You head straight for the Mad Hatter Shop, pick up your Mouse Ears, and get in line for the Matterhorn. And you just arrived in California about - you check your watch - um, an hour ago!)
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob66
    Well, keep in mind that the system was designed with public transportation in mind, and 20 - 60 mph is actually pretty desirable for such a system if it's outside the Park. I would probably keep the speed on the low end of that spectrum if it were made into a PeopleMover for Disneyland, and even check with the manufacturer to see if it could also be run at slower speeds if necessary. I simply noted that aspect of it since there were a lot of people who actually do want a speedy ride there. I personally was quite content with the PeopleMover system as it already existed and never thought it should have been closed or altered, but if the idea is brought back, I'm not against the idea of it going faster to appeal to the speed freaks who used to pooh-pooh it because of its slow speed.

As it is, I think that the basic concept of the PeopleMover ride can be expanded upon and altered to treat it much like the Monorail has been treated (as a transport system that goes outside the Park), only with new and interesting variations. I've long thought it would be very cool to have the Monorail (or, in this case, the new PeopleMover) go from Disneyland to all the various major hotels in the area, as well as Anaheim Stadium (where there's an Amtrak station), and even eventually between Disneyland and John Wayne Airport (think of it - you land at John Wayne Airport, get your luggage, hop on a PeopleMover and you zoom away at 60 mph, arriving at the Disneyland Hotel in less than a half hour, totally bypassing rush hour traffic, and during the ride you make your reservations for dinner at the Blue Bayou that evening and purchase some Mouse Ears with your name on them. You arrive at the hotel, get checked in, change your clothes, and since you're so amped up already, you hop on yet another PeopleMover that takes you directly into the heart of Tomorrowland. You head straight for the Mad Hatter Shop, pick up your Mouse Ears, and get in line for the Matterhorn. And you just arrived in California about - you check your watch - um, an hour ago!)
    That sure would be awsome. But how would the peoplemover be a ride for guests 'in' the park if they had to go clear to the airport and back before they can get off. Great idea though.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider

or would they retheme it and Adventureland end up with it's own Alladin's Magic Carpets
    OH GOD NO. PLEASE NO.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by innerspacenut
    As an old guy who remembers the speed tunnel that was there before Tron, I'm crazy excited about the possibility of this attraction returning.
    Hey I remember the speed tunnel before Tron, but I don't consider myself "an old guy". I'm only 37 next month!

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    The Tron Tunnel was pretty cool, and I liked how it felt like you were speeding up. But it was kinda dated by the time Peoplemover closed

• Banned User

Seems like the 5 year plan goes something like this:

2005:
    - Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    - Space Mountain 2.0
    - New paint scheme/removal of "Victorian/montana theme"
    - Removal of Club Buzz?

2006:
    - Destruction of Monorail station. New station built at a different location
    - New Monorail fleet
    - Submarine Voyage returns w/ "Finding Nemo: Lets Cash In!" overlay

2007:
    - Peoplemover 2.0
    - Rocket Jets moved back on top of PM platform
    - Star Tours 2

2008:
    - "Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy" ride/show replaces HISTA
    - Cars Overlay of Autopia (I pray this is just a rumor but I fear it's under consideration)

2009:
    -????? (hopefully their going to do something with Skyway station/pizza port/starcade)
    -Innoventions?

Future doesnt look so bad does it?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    That sure would be awsome. But how would the peoplemover be a ride for guests 'in' the park if they had to go clear to the airport and back before they can get off. Great idea though.
    Goof, that's not what I'm proposing!

What I'm proposing is that the existing PeopleMover system would get redone using this newer technology (which would likely necessitate building a whole new track, at least in part), and in addition, the extended PM system (which would be separate and could be built later) would, like the Monorail, start in Tomorrowland and go outside the Park (to the Disneyland Hotel, the Anaheim Hilton, the Grand Californian, or all three) and back to Tomorrowland.

After that, any additional extensions would have to be considered public transporation projects and would be up to the OCTA and all the idiotic politics that that would entail. But Disney and SkyWebExpress would certainly be involved in those projects, in order to achieve continuity.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011