Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Do You Think "Year of A Million Dreams" is as Cheesy as Al Thinks?

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri
    I have to agree with you on the prizes there Morrigoon!
    To really fit the "dream" title, there are so many ways that Disney can go that are different than what they're doing.
    And they can do it on a budget too, by getting marketing partners - and people would love them for it (who doesn't want a new car? I mean really!)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

I was excited back when they were going to allow a family to stay in the park overnight, but now, meh...

i also believe the campaign has a lot of potential, but is kind of being treated cheaply. The campaign website has some nice video clips that show castmembers and guests (adults and kids) talking about their dreams. If they marketed it more appropriately about DREAMS, which Disney is all about, it could be a very successful campaign that represents the true foundation and beliefs behind Disneyland. This would not only create a temporary surge of guests during the campaign, but it would continue to improve the status of Disneyland as a theme park and encourage families who have dreams to continue to come to Disneyland after the campaign is over. I know all this planning is last minute, but I hope Disney will be able to put more substance together with this campaign and incentives and programs that are more relatable to the theme.
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

I agree with Morrigoon on the prizes. With a little planning and a little more thought it could have been much more than what it appears it will be. Cheesy and cheap.
    Mike

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The Jedi Training Academy is actually pretty cool... but it shouldn't be an everyday thing. It fits well at Star Wars Weekends at MGM in Orlando because it's just temporary.... or was. I heard we're getting a permanent version by Star Tours. But it's for boys and girls. They did have female Jedis.

• Rides against injustice

As of right now, i am not sold on this promotion at all. It sounds cheesy and very hastly thrown together. To think, they are coming off one of the biggest marketing success in recent history and they're following it up with a very underwhelming (at least so far) campaign. I think Disney has dropped the ball here.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    You wanna really get people excited? Have Disney give away a house! Let me tell ya how much FREE press they'd get from that one! Disney could buy a house, say, in Marceline, MO where property is probably not *that* expensive, but it would attract the attention of the media! Or heck, make a deal with some developer like Pulte or KB to give a house somewhere!
    !
    There is already a free house giveaway. Perhaps you have seen it on TV. The Extreme Makeover Home Edition gives away a house to anyone that meets the right qualifications.

A) A horrible, terrible tragedy to a member of the house, such as the mom dying of cancer or lukemia or something similar.

B) You have to live in a really crappy house. It is almost required that some parts of the celing be missing, mold growing in most rooms or really horrible plumbing or elctrical problems

c) You have kids that aspire to be something unrealistic, such as a basketball star, a professional singer or some other career.

D)Your family's story needs to be so sad and pathetic that if it doesn't make the audience cry at least once it's not quite "extreme: enough.

• Banned User

I wonder if Velveeta jars will be one of the surprise gifts around both DL and WDW... Hmmm...

• Wonderful World

I think it is a little bit cheesy. The Jedi training is a good choice but the princess thing is a no for me.
    I'm back MiceChat

• that's right!

I really wasn't wowed by anything in Al's article. I can imagine the Princess / Jedi things being neat for little kids, but they really are solely for the benefit of kids and nobody else, which is kind of lame, since Walt was all about things that the whole family can enjoy together. I'm glad the Princess thing is secluded by itself on that side of the park, so it won't really affect me one way or the other, but the Jedi thing might be fairly annoying.

The only good thing to come out of this is that (supposedly) they're keeping the fireworks show the same by changing the script slightly, and that is (for me) great news as I think this fireworks show is probably the best attraction at the parks right now.

All of that said, I would certainly not complain if a CM came up to me and gave me a churro or a fastpass for nothing.

•   

MMMmmm, Velveeta!

I wouldn't mind winning a golden fastpass, but the way Al said it it souned it was only good if Fastpass was open for the attraction and you could only use it for yourself. That is such a come-on!! They need it for entire families and make it unlimited fastpasses!! hehehe wouldn't that be fun!!

im more excited about the club buzz stage returning to the tomorrowland terrace than i am this promotion!

• Senior Minion

Do I think it's as "cheesy" as Al does? No, I think it's even cheesier, if such a thing is possible.

It's looking more and more as if this is something Jay and his VP's pulled out of their butts on a weekend corporate retreat somewhere when trying to come up with something to follow up to the wild success that was the "Happiest Homecoming". The fact that few details have followed, and that those details which have come out all point to them trying to do this "on the cheap" seem very evocative of the very worst of the Pressler/Harris regime. Which is frightening in that it betrays what we've just learned about the parks--when you spend money on them, you make even more money in return.

I would rather they had done no marketing campaign at all for six months than try to foist this ill-conceived, and potentially poorly executed concept upon us.

• We set sail for the sky

Disney, please please PLEASE stop using the word "Dream" in every single damn thing you do. Parade of Dreams, Remember Dreams Come True... Yes we know! A dream is a wish your @#$@%#$% heart makes! Pretty please? The word has lost all meaning for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast