Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Do You Think "Year of A Million Dreams" is as Cheesy as Al Thinks?

Six Flags over Disneyland!

• Earth Intruder

I think Morrigoon needs a position overseeing those marketing folks in Burbank.... that's what I think. She has great ideas! Exciting ideas! And that's just off the top of her head, and she wasn't being paid to say it!

Jay Rasulo, a free churro is beyond idiotic. Whee, I got a free churro from a overly cheesy cast member cuz I was sitting at table #3 at the Rancho Del Zocalo! That's my dream, I think about it all the time!

Sorry Disney, it just screams CHEAP.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I only see kids getting any fun out of this campaign, which kinda irritates me, since Disneyland is for everyone. I mean, the jedi and princess things are great ideas and should be utilized, but what about the rest of us? So much potential in this campaign, but no one is being creative. The kiddie stuff are carbon copies from WDW...

• Vehicle rotating backward

"Ever since I was a child, I always dreamed that a college kid would walk up to me while I was eating and give me a free shirt. Then, being that I had nowhere to put it, I would either wear it on my person and be extra-warm under double shirts, or I would buy a $40 souvenir so I may store my free shirt in the bag. This has been something I have wanted since as long as I can remember."

While I don't think anyone would ever say the above, I do think people shouldn't be so quick to look a gift horse in the mouth. So, they're crummy prizes. Look at this way: Maybe you win one, and then at least you have a prize, even if it's a crummy one. Maybe you don't win one, in which case they're crummy prizes anyway. Either way, even if you don't come out ahead you certainly don't come out behind!

I don't see what the problem is here. No, I don't think it's as cheesy as Al does, but I would only wish that kind of pessimism on few people.

In one word...YES!

Is it cheesy? No.

Actually, what is cheesy?

If you eat pizza, does cheese not ooze forth? If you cook a Hot-Pocket (tm), does cheese not ooze from the crusty-goodness? Let's face it, cheese is everywhere. Especially at Disneyland. C'mon! Disneyland is CHEESE! The smiles, the characters, the little chime when you go through the turnstiles...it's all cheese! So where do you draw the line for cheesy? Now, I think a more appropriate question would be: "Do you think they're going in the wrong direction with a bad promotion?" To that, I say yes.

Churros, t-shirts, more crap...that stuff doesn't matter to the cheese. The way I see it, Jay (#@!$%&') Rasulo doesn't know real cheese when he sees it. He shoulda' asked himself "What can I do to make the parks better?" instead of "What do people who don't drive nice cars dream about? Ah yes, churros and t-shirts." Apparently he was wrong in that regard...

But I'm starting to sound strange to myself...main points:

Stupid idea.
    Why didn't Iger notice the thrown-together-ness.
    Stupid idea.
    Love the Jedi Training.
    Princess thing is cute, but not worth paying MORE for.
    Stupid idea.
    And Disneyland is built on cheese. And that's what dreams are...cheese.

I'd rather receive a block of cheese upon entrance...that would actually be a dream of mine.
    I find signatures are overrated. Except for this one.

Everything Disney has formally announced and everything that has been unofficially leaked on the Internet for the Dreams campaign sounds boring and dumb.

This is a massive media campaign that will only touch one in 50 guests with a prize of any kind. The rest of the stuff is just low-budget updates to existing stage shows or decorations in an amusement park. It's no big deal, and certainly nothing to build an entire year long national campaign around.

I've never been more underwhelmed with a Disney theme park media campaign than I am with the Dreams thing. What must they be smoking in Mr. Rasulo's office? I don't think they're Marlboros.

• Lost in Wonderland

"Christmas Dreams on Parade?" Sounds like Tokyo's parade. Well, if they change the name, they'll need to redo the float music, as it has numerous references to "A Christmas Fantasy".

But I don't expect any real changes to the floats. Probably some lighting upgrades and a few things repainted better.

It would be nice to see some things switched out... Let's give Goofy and Max the boot from the Candy House float, and put someone new there.

They are going to have to sell the heck out of this. There doesn't seem to be enough for everyone in the family. I'm exited about the return of the subs but what else is there that will keep the crowds coming back?

The stuff that they are going to give away is neither exciting or very original. They should take the money for the giveaways and put it into the DCA redecoration fund.

Hey check out my totally rad blog @ misguidedadv.blogspot.com

• Senior Minion

It is cheesy.
    It's on the cheap, and turning the Fantasyland Stage area into another place to shop is just ridiculous. Jedi training on the Tomorrowland Terrace? Sounds like Disneyland is turning into a strip mall.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri
    Do you think too much money has gone into it already to where they can throw something else together instead? No real advertising has gone out yet has it?
    Oh yes, they had a MAJOR Media event in New York a few weeks ago, talking about Disney Parks and Dreams, and made a big push on "A Year of a Million Dreams", even though they had NO idea how it would actually work.....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...ness-headlines

Cinderella fans must wait a while longer before learning details of what a night in her castle might be like -- and then wait until January for a chance to win such a visit.

Walt Disney World officials say they haven't worked out many details about the part of their big, new, yearlong promotion that is piquing imaginations: a chance to spend the night in the royal chamber at Cinderella Castle.

"Oh my gosh," said Brandee Foxworthy of Longwood, whose daughter, Ella, was named for the fairy-tale princess. "My first thought was, in what way could we increase our chances?"

That's yet to be answered, along with: How will winners be picked? What will the suite be like? What will visitors do after the park closes?

Craig Dezern, a marketing vice president, said those details still are being worked out. Even the apartment is only a shell right now, with planners discussing how to turn it into a royal chamber.

For that reason, it won't be ready for occupancy until January, even though Disney's "Year of a Million Dreams" promotion begins Oct. 1
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• For You!

I will wait to pass judgement until the dreams start being granted. Hey, if I won, I wouldn't complain - But I think that random turnstile prizes are more fun sounding.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

I wouldn't say cheesy. I won't be going there next year based on the hope of winning a prize. I think the main problem is that they made this huge announcement without having it all planned out. It still doesn't make sense about the randomness at it. Are they only going to give the "dreams" away to people sitting at restaurant tables? I think the best way to really distribute the prizes is to do it at the turnstiles as you enter. Or have the tickets coded and have several kiosks throughout the park where you can put your ticket in and see if you've won anything. The tickets can be coded so the system sees if you've already used your ticket, so if they were doing it at the turnstiles, you wouldn't have people exiting and re-entering several times. One try per day.

I'm not sure what the prize ratio was for the 30th or the 35th anniversary gift givers, so I don't know how to compare that with the ratio Al mentioned. For me, though, I would be happy winning anything. I'm not going to say, oh, I only got a t-shirt and not a cruise. I think that they should have a variety of souvenir items, meals (which could work in their favor. Say they give away a meal for 2 at the French Market or Plaza Inn, and the winner has a larger party. Guess where the whole party will likely be eating?), or other things. Instead of specifically a churro, make it a snack, which could be used for a churro, popcorn, frozen drink, soda, ice cream, etc.).

As I was typing this post, I noticed one thing about the prizes. The gift givers before were for the 30th and the 35th. They don't really need to be doing any sort of prize promotion for the 51st anniversary, so again, anything free is a bonus.

I'm not wild about the whole Fantasyland Theater idea, but I'm sure there will be plenty of children who will like it. My concern is that my daughters will like it too much, and cut into valuable ride time! But if it's expensive, there's always one option that parents have... don't buy anything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad
    I'm all for free stuff even if it's some chinsy like a shirt or a churro. But the princess and Jedi thing sounds awful. It's too money grubbing and too small child centric.
    Yup. No doubt the TDA marketing dept. figures that families with small kids is the demographic to target these days. They want people who will spend lots of $$ while in the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I was excited back when they were going to allow a family to stay in the park overnight, but now, meh...
    I never understood the appeal of that. What would they do once the park closed? Watch the cleaning and repair crews? They wouldn't be able to leave their room at night, would they?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast