Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Do You Think "Year of A Million Dreams" is as Cheesy as Al Thinks?

What are your opinions on this so-called new Disneyland campaign?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Man of Logic and Reason

Re: Do You Think "Year of A Million Dreams" is as Cheesy as Al Thinks?

I'm getting no "Wow" factor from anything they're offering. It sounds like a bunch of junk, especially the Jedi and Princess things. I don't want things that they have in Florida at Disneyland. It sounds to me like this new resort management structure is going to strip the parks of their individuality at least as far as streetmosphere goes (The Dapper Dans, now the Merchant Band and it sounds like the Disneyland Band as well to an extent). It reaks of repetitious entertainment to me, and really bad crowds which I despise to no end.

•   

I'm giving the idea 2 thumbs down.

• Banned User

It just frustrates me even more and shows you how much of an idiot Jay-frickin'-Rasulo is.

•   

I just don't get how they're willing to spend so much on an idea that was just thrown together. You know it's going to be advertised like crazy! Doesn't anyone there get to talk about "ideas" anymore? I would have loved to been a fly on the wall in the meeting for this new event.....

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

The idea behind the campaign is interesting but that's all that they seem to have. It's just a big idea with no logic behind it to help plan the logistics of actually executing anything it promisies. All of the big ideas are so problematic that they are STILL trying to figure out how to pull them off and all of the little ideas are underwhelming.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Neep meep beep

I know I would be excited to win a free anything in the park, but it really smells like the Harris and Pressler "anything to squeeze an extra buck out of guests" era. The princess and knight academy ending with a makeup and toy shop? Wow, that doesn't sound good.

But in general I'm looking forward to how it plays out in real life.

• Minion

I think it's horrible!!! They might as well put a Wal-Mart in Downtown Disney!!!!

•   

Do you think too much money has gone into it already to where they can throw something else together instead? No real advertising has gone out yet has it?

• All you need is LOVE

We will see how it goes with disney its always a wait and see

I wouldn't say 'cheezy'...cheap is the word.
    But then there's hard-up...
    'pulling it out of your arse' isn't a word, but the term works...

I can't think of any more, as I have now ended my normal
    operating day. We hope you've enjoyed your visit, and will
    come around to see me again soon. Good night.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Grumpy old man

I'm all for free stuff even if it's some chinsy like a shirt or a churro. But the princess and Jedi thing sounds awful. It's too money grubbing and too small child centric. I always felt DL to be above doing child only things.

• insufferable know-it-all

Actually I think the Princess and Knight thing are more in line with what "Dreams" actually are, which is a nice change from the formless, meaningless uses the marketing people have had for the words "dreams" and "magic" the last several years. "Dreams come true" is more about becoming a princess or a Jedi knight than it is about free churros.

The free churros and such is a nice concept, but they need the marketing to be more appropriate to the prizes. Remember the "Prize Machine"? You get a free churro from that thing, and it seems appropriate, because that's what they promised you... prizes. Promise to make my dreams come true and a churro just ain't gonna cut it.

I like the idea of giving stuff away, I just think it needs to be marketed appropriately. And my god, what better chance for a marketing partner tie-in is there? Where are the Hondas, for crying out loud? THAT'd make my dreams come true! Bring in marketing partners to help pay for this campaign, and give away REAL prizes! Disney Cruises, trips to other Disney Resorts around the world, free cars, Playstations, digital cameras, Disney furniture (the good stuff, like you see on Disneyshopping.com)THESE would be worth getting excited about.

You wanna really get people excited? Have Disney give away a house! Let me tell ya how much FREE press they'd get from that one! Disney could buy a house, say, in Marceline, MO where property is probably not *that* expensive, but it would attract the attention of the media! Or heck, make a deal with some developer like Pulte or KB to give a house somewhere!

And yeah, okay, there are a couple good prizes provided by Disney, but as in the example above, there is potential to be so much better!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   

I have to agree with you on the prizes there Morrigoon!
    To really fit the "dream" title, there are so many ways that Disney can go that are different than what they're doing.

• The one, the only...

I think that in a year when Disney really needed to step to the plate, they did not leave the dressing room.

"Year of a million let-downs" is my feeling. Here this year will be EXTREMELY challenging to DL. Gas prices are through the room. Already spending at retailers is down for the last two months. People do not have the discretionary money to go to Disneyland when there is really nothing new to see. Disney needed a new firework show and maybe a new parade. These dress-up moments will not work well with parents of both sexes. Boys will go one way and girls another. Parents will be split trying to keep track of them.

I hope that the subs come in on time or this next summer will be another quiet one.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast