View Poll Results: What classic Disney animated film would make the best new darkride for Fantasyland?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sleaping Beauty

19 13.67%
  • Cinderella

8 5.76%
  • Fantasia

17 12.23%
  • 101 Dalmations

10 7.19%
  • Beauty and the Beast

33 23.74%
  • The Little Mermaid

39 28.06%
  • Mickey & Friends

3 2.16%
  • Other: Explain your choice

10 7.19%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Do you have anymore gum?

I actually thought (back when this Finding Nemo ride was all talk and no action) that Little Mermaid had more of a right to take the sub lagoon. It's got some serious senority over Nemo. Also, DCA is enjoying it's Pixar, seeing as they've got practically nothing disney-oriented. They should've taken it.

Thought I'd share.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    Emily is here!

Do you LJ?
    If the answer is yes, join the disneylandcult community.

• Minion

Sleeping Beauty's climax: Phillip's escape from Maleficent's dungeon, the battle with the Goons and fight with the fire-breathing dragon - to awaken the sleeping Princess Aurora - - is the perfect story/format for a ride. It has all the visual elements, excitement and story structure one would need to make a successful transition to a live experience.

It would be hard to go wrong with Little Mermaid and her very visual undersea kingdom.

I've always thought Cinderella had strong possibilities - with one creative twist: experience the story from the mouse-sized perspective, as the fairy godmother turns you into a mouse at the beginning of the ride - - get the key from Stepmother and save Cinderella from the attic, but watch out for Lucifer!

Beauty and the Beast should be represented, but it's passive plot dynamics lend itself more to a show, dinner show or bookshop than a ride.

The experimental Aladdin magic carpet 3-D flight simulator experience should be realized on a full scale some day - it's a natural (NOT the spinner version!).

Mary Poppins Jolly holiday segment, on Carousel horses, ending in the steeplechase, is also a good idea.

And the Headless Horseman chase from Sleepy Hollow is also a natural - and a ride Walt wanted to do for WDW.

Babes in Toyland is another unrealized Walt ride on the original WDW plans - could be interesting to shrink to toy size and battle with the toys against huge Barnaby.

They should can the Fantasyland Theatre and Motor Boat Cruise areas to add a Fantasyland II, per the above.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 04-28-2005 at 08:07 AM.

The new proposed Nemo ride at DLP with Crush could be modified to be Little Mermaid and you could travel under the sea. I do not know how much area the old motorboat cruise area has, but that would be a perfect location with the lagoon next door.The ride could even go out into the Small World mall area a little if more room was needed.

I think there should be a Mary Poppins ride with carousel horse at the UK pavillion at Epcot. Make it simple. It is just a crousel, but the horses also can spin and go up and down. Maybe they could make them go side to side too.
    Last edited by netenyahoo; 04-28-2005 at 08:19 AM.

• I was deleted.

I voted for The Little Mermaid because it's my favorite movie. I was very tempted to vote for a Mickey and Friends one because they used to have the Mickey Mouse Club in there and there is Mickey's Philar Magic in WDW. But maybe if they were putting a new one in with that theme it should go in Toon Town instead.

Sleeping Beauty also sounds like it would be interesting but would it get too scary for some kids like Snow White does? I mean if The Little Mermaid could have a fun, under the sea element to level with the fun, flying element of Peter Pan maybe the lines between to the two wouldn't be so bad! (Especially since Peter Pan loads so few at a time.)

It would be interesting to see WHERE they would place this though since Fantasyland is quite full. Would it have to go back by "it's a small world" or the Fantasyland Theatre?

I also think that placing Bambi in Critter Country should be done. But you can't exactly remove the Pooh Characters. They make a lot in profit and are very popular with guests. I remember hearing they account for about 1/5 of the sales. (I know Eeyore is one of the most popular characters to sell in The Disney Stores.) So even if it is quite dry and cut and paste from parts of Orlando's version I guess we'll have to stick with that until the create a TDL version.

• On Autopilot

o_o Sleeping Beauty opened in 1959.. four years after DL...*shrugs* What that one guy said about Fantasia is kinda cool too. But still, they need to market sleeping beauty again, I mean, REALLY >=( we got the castle, now where's the beef?

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Little Mermaid seems like a no brainer to me.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Larxene1959
    o_o Sleeping Beauty opened in 1959.. four years after DL...*shrugs* What that one guy said about Fantasia is kinda cool too. But still, they need to market sleeping beauty again, I mean, REALLY >=( we got the castle, now where's the beef?
    Well, after seeing the Eyvind Earle gallery in Carmel, I finally realized how much his style contributed to the magic of Sleeping Beauty, doing for the princess movies what Bambi did for animal movies. It's the kind of rich style that would make for a cinematic E ticket if done right.

Imagine a Peter Pan-style vehicle (see, told ya) where the guests enter a glowing green orb representing Flora. From her perspective, we see Maleficent curse Aurora, fly into the cottage as Fauna and Merriweather are firing magical volleys of color, follow Aurora up to the tower just moments too late to save her from pricking her finger, then flying to Prince Phillip, endowing him with his weapons, and following him through the briars as he races to his fateful battle with the dragon Maleficent.

It could be really lush AND be an exciting ride for people who don't even like Sleeping Beauty (if such a thing is possible). Just have to find a way to make it load faster, maybe make each vehicle have two rows of seats or something.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• U. B. Bold

As to where a new attraction could go well...

I like the idea of a Little Mermaid attraction in the old MBC area...
    And a Sleeping Beauty or Beauty and the Beast attraction in the old Fantasyland SkyWay/Village Hause area.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Minion

Hey... this just occurred to me... couldn't you almost have a ride based on a battle of the Beauties? Throw away the traditional dark ride story and have Aurora and Belle in front of the Wicked Queen's mirror asking "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is Beauty after all?" We see the Mirror speak, and then the vehicle actually enters the mirror as it shows us comparative scenes of the Princess' stories, and the moral at the end would be that each is beautiful in her own way.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• U. B. Bold

^Hmmm. Don't give 'em any ideas for a "Disney Princess" attraction...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder
    ^Hmmm. Don't give 'em any ideas for a "Disney Princess" attraction...
    Bah... if they did it creatively, I wouldn't mind seeing such a ride, but it's got to be something new and creative, either in terms of thje vehicle itself or the kind of story it tells.

-- Walt Disney

• Who Loves Disneyland?

I wish I could vote for two attractions. Of course I would vote and did vote for 101 Dalmatians but I would also love to see Little Mermaid as a ride.

Here are some other ideas for darkrides.....
    Fox and the Hound - Critter Country
    Bambi - Critter Country
    Lady and the Tramp-Fantasyland
    Aladdin-Adventureland
    Aristocats- Fantasyland
    Lion King-Adventureland
    I See SPOTS!!!!!!

Magic Kingdom 1992 and 2008
    Disneyland 1984, 1987, 1993 (3x's), 1998, 2005, 2007

WOW!!! You'd think i'd vote for a Cinderella dark ride but I don't think that DL is the place for it. I think it would be better at WDW since the Cinderella castle is there. My vote would be for Little Mermaid since there is soo much you could do with it.
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

• Don't Panic

i think every single one of those ideas would work, because, well, Disney can probably make any darkride based on one of their movies work.
    but i say, why just stick to the "classics"? how about an "Emperor's New Groove" darkride?
    or maybe something like "Simba's Escape." (ok, technically, a "classic") you could be innocently going through the elephant graveyard when suddenly the hyenas show up, a chase ensues, yaddayaddayadda.

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Bah... if they did it creatively, I wouldn't mind seeing such a ride, but it's got to be something new and creative, either in terms of thje vehicle itself or the kind of story it tells.
    I agree with you in theory. I just don't like the ongoing dilution of the individual stories that has been done via the "cheapquals" and the whole "Princess" marketing scheme. But that's prolly a subject for another forum.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast