Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Fantasyland Theatre Makeover!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix
    The merch approach is too devious, though, and sounds bad for Disney's image. If I were a parent, I would totally resent that Disney is using this area to manipulate the children into begging the parents to spend all that money on the dresses and makeovers and stuff.
    Believe me, kids are begging for stuff even without this addition (which I totally like, BTW -- guess I'm in the minority here). This hasn't even started yet but my DD already has 4 Princess dresses and has had the makeover at WDW's Bibbido Bobbidi Boutique. It was the highlight of her trip!

JULIE
    This is my signature.

• Senior Minion

I can see where this is an outgrowth of the "tea parties" they started running at the NYC WOD store (are they still doing those?) which were a commercial success.

I almost feel this is a concept better suited to DTD than DL; but I can see where the execs are going to view this as much more revenue-positive than running any other kind of show.

It would be sad, however, to lose any form of live entertainment in the park. I do hope some sort of show is brought back to that location at some point in the future.

I'm going to cry over losing any kind of theater/stage show. I liked Snow White. I'm sad to see it go.

I do hope they bring another show onto the stage.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I agree that this is a bad move. Even if they wanted to do away with the theatre entirely, it could have even been a place for a fantastic dark ride but why on this earth would they make a stupid princess meet and greet?

With Disneyland's seriously limited space, it seems idiotic to waste it like they are doing.

I do understand everyone's frustration at losing the theatre for awhile, but I'll join in the voice of disention. I think the idea sounds really cute. it turns dressing up into an experience. What little girl sees a Disney Princess and doesn't want to become her? I watched Sleeping Beauty so often as a girl, I just about wore out the Beta machine! Here, at Disneyland, girls get to meet their favorite princess, and then become her. Cute idea. Lots of money to be made.
    My only question is how do you escape if you only want the meet n greet without the rest? Is there an escape route around your wallet?
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartdisney
    What little girl sees a Disney Princess and doesn't want to become her?
    Me. I never wanted to be a princess. Unless we're talking unlimited spending account, with which I could do nicely.

But dressing up? No. Posing for pictures? Oh, hells, no. Paying money to do it? Not in a million years.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Just this guy......

Just think about how much money they are saving by not putting on a show in the theater!

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    Me. I never wanted to be a princess. Unless we're talking unlimited spending account, with which I could do nicely.

But dressing up? No. Posing for pictures? Oh, hells, no. Paying money to do it? Not in a million years.
    Hmmmm, to each their own. I hope those dresses come in adult male sizes. Gay Days is coming up and I haven't a THING to wear.

• Banned User

Wink Re: Fantasyland Theatre Makeover!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    Just think about how much money they are saving by not putting on a show in the theater!
    Think of how much money they are making not having a real show in there.. and dressing girls up.... for profit!

Hmmmm, to each their own. I hope those dresses come in adult male sizes. Gay Days is coming up and I haven't a THING to wear.
    I'd be happy to take pictures of you in the gowns.

"Hey Bob, go check out the inventory in the back room. We're having a run on the extra-large Ursula outfits."
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• old skooler

maybe they should make it a lil bigger and move fantasmic there and move it to 3 or 4 shows a night just idea

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEars
    You know, not much gets me too irritated when Disney decides to do something *off the wall*, but when I read Al's post today and found out what Disney is doing to the Fantasyland Theatre after Snow White is gone, I was so irate!!

Why on earth are they using that area for a stupid meet-n-greet with the Disney Princesses??? What a waste of space, if you ask me!!! And by what I can tell, the stage itself won't even be used.

That stage was built for stage shows and other big events, not to host some lame meet-n-greet!! I was really looking forward to seeing a new show, and now I hear about this. Awful, just an awful waste of space!!!

I could understand if this was temporary, but when they talk about removing bleachers and seats, then that sounds pretty permanent. Now, if they plan on building a new stage for stage shows, then great. But that doesn't seem likely.

Am I alone in feeling this way or do any other MiceChatters feel like me? Perhaps they're doing this to save on cost, but whatever the reason, it's ridiculous! I only hope this new venue flops and they realize that the Fantasyland Theatre is meant for hosting stage shows, just like they've done since it first opened in 1986. And don't forget when the Space Stage (now HISTA) hosted so many different stage shows too!

Disney, you really blew it this time!!!
    I completely agree!!! I remember seeing Animazement when I was younger - it was a great show. Then, due to budget cuts and 9/11, we got stuck with Mickey's Detective Agency *bleck* Snow White was finally a show of high caliber. I've seen it countless times, and the theatre is usually full.

I was extremely disappointed when I read that the seats would be TAKEN OUT (destroying any further hope of another show taking the place of Snow White) and simply turned into another character meet and greet section. Toontown is steps away!!! Why do we need another place to meet characters!?

I could see taking out Snow White and replacing it with another Disney musical....but taking out shows completely - BAD MOVE DL!!!!

They better not take Aladdin away, that's all I can say!!!

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by disneythug
    maybe they should make it a lil bigger and move fantasmic there and move it to 3 or 4 shows a night just idea
    Fantasmic relies HEAVILY ON WATER. Moving the show doesn't make sense and would cost a lot of money and take too much un-necessary effort.

We can only HOPE that this is not the end of Fantasyland theatre and Disneyland musical productions. Actually California Adventure is ramping up in musical productions. They already have the great Aladdin playing in the Hyperion, and they will soon be adding their street version of High School Musical. I like the whole idea of princess/jedi making because it really is a kid's dream! I remember always wanting to fight with a lightsaber, but the part that makes me frown is how Disney has turned this opportunity to make a child's dream come true into a marketing ploy. This idea has GREAT potential though.
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast