Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Re: Fantasyland Theatre Makeover!!!!

I'm one of the last people in the world to say taking out a show for character meetings is good, but then again, if SOMETHING had to go for this meet n greet, the Fantasyland Theatre isn't the worst choice.

• Popular Princess

all i have 2 say is that i thought disneyland was supposed to be a family place. okay...(a) little girls wishing to become princesses are sent to one side of the place while little boys wanting to become knights are sent to the other side forcing mom and dad to split up to keep track of the children, (b) little girls dressed up as their favorite princess is one thing, but turning them into mini streetwalkers in a disney costume is something completely different, and (c) forcing mom and dad to shell out even more money than they already do is ridiculous

i could think of so many more family oriented ways to use that space. i would LOVE to see a new show there! here's hoping this is only temporary!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• no flash photography...

maybe because when the princesses come out they block all the walkways around the castle and cause alot of crowding....maybe....

It's really nice knowing I have so much support with this thread I created. I didn't realize how many others really enjoy musical stage shows at the Disneyland Resort, especially at the Fantasyland Theatre!

So knowing I'm not the only one who's upset at what they're doing to that area makes me happy. I just wish Disney management can see that creating a meet-n-greet in that area is ridiculous and a total waste of space. I'm not saying what they're doing is bad, because the idea is actually really good. But to use the Fantasyland Theatre for this purpose is irritating!

I just hope this is temporary and that a Summer stage show in 2007 will surface for us! Please, Disney, don't give up something that makes so many others, including myself, very happy!!

to be perfectly honest I really can't seem to care much

true the show is devided and I much perfer the plans for the Star Wars show in tomorrowland in that it sounds more inclusive for everyone even though it still leaves the parants out

the princess thing is just to popular, I doubt many boys will care too much for the knights thing but it's there to be fair

anywho I don't really see the Fantasyland theator as being that great of a venue for stage shows, it's grossly inferior to the Hyperion which is just a little ways away

and wasn't Al saying a while ago that the Fantasyland theator was behind some of the cutbacks to things like Donalds Boat and all?

maybe with it gone they can finaly put a few of the goofy sound effects and interactive elements back into Toontown I mean it's bad enough that half the stuff is getting removed because of lawsuit issues :P

as for the fantasyland theator I'd perfer it if they either converted this area into a large attraction or built another indoor theator more suitable for these types of shows and themed it to match fantasyland (perhaps sink it into the ground) I don't care for the giant tent look either really

The comments in this thread already state most of my feelings about this idea, but I also object to many of the details that Al Lutz mentioned.

Disneyland seems to be totally neglecting how any of this makes sense story-wise. It's as if Disney Consumer Products, and its "Barbie-fication" of the Disney heroines, has complete control over the way the princesses are represented.

For example, instead of a royal receiving line, Disneyland apparently will have something called a "princess walk". Instead of a real finishing school, Disneyland will have a "princess academy".

Disney's definitive interpretations of centuries-old folk tales and fairy tales are cheapened by this girliness. It's almost as if the people responsible for the selling of generic "princess" merchandise are not even aware of the stories from which the characters emanate; these corporate hacks just see these heroines as convenient, meaningless alternatives to Mattel's intellectual property.

The target marketing is that which is most objectionable. It's bound to alienate most of Disneyland's guests unless the people responsible for this project try to be more inclusive of different types of people. The knight idea seems like a pathetic afterthought, and adults seem totally left-out of the experience.

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEars
    It's really nice knowing I have so much support with this thread I created. I didn't realize how many others really enjoy musical stage shows at the Disneyland Resort, especially at the Fantasyland Theatre!

So knowing I'm not the only one who's upset at what they're doing to that area makes me happy. I just wish Disney management can see that creating a meet-n-greet in that area is ridiculous and a total waste of space. I'm not saying what they're doing is bad, because the idea is actually really good. But to use the Fantasyland Theatre for this purpose is irritating!

I just hope this is temporary and that a Summer stage show in 2007 will surface for us! Please, Disney, don't give up something that makes so many others, including myself, very happy!!
    I am right there with you!!! Live entertainment in the form of Musical theatre/stage shows really should be a part of the Disneyland day experience. Whether it be a more character based show or a big broadway style musical, stage shows really are important. There is more to Disneyland than just rides and character meet and greets.
    I do truly hope this is just temporary. and by temporary, a short-lived form of temporary!

What is nice is that we are getting quite a few new atmosphere shows including a couple character street shows that include the disneyland band, the High School Musical one over at DCA, and the upcoming fall additions.

But Disneyland needs a theatre venue currently showing an actual live stage show. (I know some will disagree when I say 'need', but I stand my ground. =) )

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I agree, disney needs stuff that appeals to everyone, and I for one love theater, and would never ever want to miss a disney show on stage at the original park!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEars
    You know, not much gets me too irritated when Disney decides to do something *off the wall*, but when I read Al's post today and found out what Disney is doing to the Fantasyland Theatre after Snow White is gone, I was so irate!!
    So... you like the Princess Theatre idea, right? Just kidding...

I agree. I'm for keeping the theatre a performace space for theatre productions. They just need better ideas for shows. 'SW' is stinko. 'My stepmother controls the weather.' Huh? What the..?

Enough with the princess thing. It's too much fake rhinestones, tiaras and boas. Bleh. And imagine how crowded that area's going to get with girls waiting to see their favorite princess. (Not to mention that there needs to be more princesses of color.)

The Jedi Academy training is a cool idea, but that area is going to be really crowded too.

Disney needs some more creative juice.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Disneyland seems to be totally neglecting how any of this makes sense story-wise. It's as if Disney Consumer Products, and its "Barbie-fication" of the Disney heroines, has complete control over the way the princesses are represented.

Disney's definitive interpretations of centuries-old folk tales and fairy tales are cheapened by this girliness. It's almost as if the people responsible for the selling of generic "princess" merchandise are not even aware of the stories from which the characters emanate; these corporate hacks just see these heroines as convenient, meaningless alternatives to Mattel's intellectual property.

The target marketing is that which is most objectionable. It's bound to alienate most of Disneyland's guests unless the people responsible for this project try to be more inclusive of different types of people. The knight idea seems like a pathetic afterthought, and adults seem totally left-out of the experience.
    Hear hear! ...but I still think lots of people will like it.

Maybe they'll hurry up with a great new stage show...?

• ...TWO BITS!

This is what I'd do:

1) Since it's already rumored Disney Princess Fantasy Faire is going in, I'll go with that (I still don't like it)

2) After Year of a Million Dreams campaign is over (Fall 2007), immediately tear down Fantasyland Theater. Construct a new indoor Fantasyland Theater on the west side and Mickey's Philarmagic on the east side (also taking up space used for the theater queue & planting).

3) Open Philarmagic for Spring or Summer 2008. Possibly open new Fantasyland Theater stage show for 2008 or 2009. The queue/entrance/exit for FLT would be through the backstage alley between current FLT & Storybook land... but of course themed perhaps like an enchanted forest path to the theater.

They'll already be taking out the seats, might as well go all the way

EDIT: Forgot to propose for a new FLT stage production entitled "Wizards' Duel Tournament". I think someone before me proposed this first. Like in Sword of the Stone, Disney characters with magical powers compete to win the tournment. Kinda like a musical magic show . Characters include Merlin, Genie, Fairy Godmother, Blue Fairy, and Sleeping Beauty fairies. At the climax, villains will make their entrance & compete and stir up some trouble. Villains include: Wicked Queen, Madame Mim, Jafar, Ursula, Maleificent, and Hades. In the end, the audience can vote for the Good magic or Black magic acts (obviously, the good magic will win).

What do you think?
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 08-03-2006 at 07:06 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Although my grandbaby will love this,
    I am sad to see a beautiful theater like that, get torn apart.

I think we should have more live entertainment.

They could sell stuff too if they have to!
    I would love to see Thunder Mountain BBQ come back, they could have Woody and Jessie there, and even hawk western stuff there. have a dinner show, they would rake it in, and people would be entertained.
    Like the tahitian terrace was, It was always full of people, you wanted to pay for the authentic polynesian experience. Some things aren't changed for the better.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Inhospitable about happy

And now for something completely different.

All of you people are just as bad in your own way as the three year olds who will love this new thing.

WAAAAHH, Disney is putting in something that I won't like, that isn't for ME! I don't WANT a princess thingie! WAAAAHH!

Grow up. Disneyland is for all age groups, and no, not everything can be made into something that all age groups will like. (Most three year olds can't handle the Haunted Mansion; should they soften it down for them?)

I happen to have a three-year-old granddaughter, very bright and happy, who is into princess stuff something fierce. Perfectly appropriate behavior for her age. She will absolutely love this new thing to death, lemme tell ya. I won't. Her parents won't. But she sure will.

Go ride Space Mountain, folks, and let the little girlies have a few square yards of the Magic Kingdom too, K?

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

there are plenty of other places this could of happened... they dont need to take out disneyland ONLY musical theater venue, plus are you willing to spend this much money on a princess makeover when you could just got buy a costume for a lot cheaper?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by travelmom
    I would love to see Thunder Mountain BBQ come back, they could have Woody and Jessie there, and even hawk western stuff there. have a dinner show, they would rake it in, and people would be entertained.
    I think it would be interesting to see the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue go in that space...although it's certainly a show that needs to be indoors.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast