Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

A Former CM's Thoughts

I received the following email from a good friend last week who is a former longtime DLCM. I edited a few of the comments since I know there are some very sensitive people in here when it comes to criticism.

"Hi,

Some of my thoughts on Disneyland last night: I got there a few hours before the others got out of their conference and wandered around taking in all that was new and old. I didn't see anyone working there that I knew though I guess that shouldn't be surprising since I left in ‘96.

Overall the appearance of the place was very good. Being a painter, I notice maintenance problems and they’ve really spruced up the old girl.

The caliber of the employees has entirely changed. Obesity is rampant, but where isn‘t it anywhere else? While all departments used to have attractive employees, it seems now that the only ones who care about their appearance are in rides. D-land used to have a vast pool of dynamic, talented employees who made the place something special. There was something to being a cast member back then but that just doesn't appear to be the case anymore. It's just a job now.

The park’s atmosphere has also changed. There's so much stuff cluttering the place that there's no longer a free flow of crowds. People have to make their way around new planters, rock sculptures, Out Door Vending carts selling who knows what. You're just hemmed in everywhere. Prices were always high but now they're exorbitant with ODV carts selling hot dogs and chips for $8, and prices on the Blue Bayou menu on par with Mr Stox. The portions are huge but we couldn’t take the leftovers with us so there was really a waste of good food in our party of four. It would be a better experience to see reduced prices with smaller servings.

The park has lost some of its pizzazz. Of course the world has changed and there's so much more entertainment competition now, Disneyland no longer stands-alone. I truly worked there during the Golden Age.

And yet, I cannot deny that when looking at families with young children I still see that sense of wonder and delight on the faces of all, so who am I to lament the past?"

• U. B. Bold

You can't go home again.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Nothing ever stays the same!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    Obese is the new skinny.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• dreams do come true

I think they have a hard time finding people who care. hey have to hire so many cast members to keep the place going that Disney cant be as picky anymore. It used to be that out of every 100 people that aplied only about 5 would get hired. Now out of every 100 they hire 50 to 75 depending on the season. Now once hired they do nothing to keep you intrsted in keeping the magic alive. Managment looks at it as a buisness and so it portrade that way. The magic and buisness dont mix well. So they need to find a way to bring the magic back to the cast and that will be the magic in the park, always has always will be one of the biggest things Disney has over other places out there.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KoH
    Obese is the new skinny.
    Made me think of Diana Ross's often quoted statement about how one can never be too thin.

Perhaps she's setting a whole new standard now that she's packed on quite a few extra pounds over the years!

There are plenty of current CM's who work to keep the magic of Walt Disney's dream alive. I feel that your friend, as a former cast member, should realize that it takes more than obesity to ruin the magic. The majority of the CM's work so hard to keep Walt's dream alive, it is unfortunate that your friend had such a negative attitude.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    The caliber of the employees has entirely changed. Obesity is rampant, but where isn‘t it anywhere else? While all departments used to have attractive employees, it seems now that the only ones who care about their appearance are in rides. D-land used to have a vast pool of dynamic, talented employees who made the place something special.

What does not being obese have to do with being a dynamic talented employee?

Where the heck is that written?
    Check out my other blog:

• Animatronic

No one wants to go back, just forward, taking the best from the past AND the best from the present. That letter should go straight to the former employers. The overweight problem and the bad crowd flow would probably go away with the churro carts. An easy fix I say! (Not that I hate the smell of churros or anything)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    What does not being obese have to do with being a dynamic talented employee? Where the heck is that written?
    Sorry, but in all honesty, no one wants to see a gigantic person that weighs 400 lbs getting you ready for your trip to Endor.

It's just the way humans are... if you're gigantic and fat, we really don't want to be looking at you. Unless you're EXTREMELY TALENTED or FUNNY. That's the one exception. We get beyond a person's size if they're really talented or funny.

I don't know many fat CMs at Disney who are that fat anyway... if you're a manager at Epcot in WDW, you need to weigh less than 240 lb I believe... just becuase you really slow things down if you can't ride a segway.

I feel your "friend" who was a CM has a very close-minded attitude and I'm personally glad he's NOT a CM any longer.

There are many CM's who truly love and care about what they do, no matter how much they weigh or if they are attractive enough for you or your friend to enjoy looking at.

Although yes I will agree that there is a difference between lazy/fat and just larger size person in general.
    -Wes

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    It's just the way humans are... if you're gigantic and fat, we really don't want to be looking at you. Unless you're EXTREMELY TALENTED or FUNNY. That's the one exception. We get beyond a person's size if they're really talented or funny.
    You do realize that the being talented or funny is the only way an Obese person can cope with the abject humiliation of dealing with a culture that caters toward the undernourished, underdeveloped, and socially inept?

------------

Alice: "Well, three inches is such a retched height...!"

Caterpillar: "I am exaticicicialy three inches high, and I think it is a very good height to be indeed!"
    Check out my other blog:

obese people's physical appearances do not bother me. what bugs me is that they are creating very dangerous health states for themselves. i realize some people have conditions, but whats wrong with some good old fasioned excercise?

All I can say is if your friend thinks DL has a problem with unattractive, obese CMs he/she shouldn't visit WDW where I wouldn't doubt the average CM weight is in the mid-200s. And as far as quality CMs go, I am always amazed at how much better they are at DL than WDW. Most still find it special to work at 'Walt's park' ... it's not that way at WDW. It was in the 70s and 80s, but not today. It's too big and management truly doesn't place any value on CMs.

As for all the carts and clutter, again I must say that compared to WDW, DL has NOTHING to complain about ... well, maybe except for that enormous, WDW CM-sized frozen lemonade stand at the end of Main Street near the Plaza Inn.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zissou
    obese people's physical appearances do not bother me. what bugs me is that they are creating very dangerous health states for themselves. i realize some people have conditions, but whats wrong with some good old fasioned excercise?
    Uhm ... doncha know most Americans are on a diet ... it's called Fat For Life Boy, do I crack myself up at 3 a.m.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast