Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Like I said in another thread; There's nothing futuristic about a band that hit their peak in the mid eighties.

• Banned User

The 80s were the most futuristic time period so Van Halen is still valid.

• Minion

The only retro idea I agree with would be something along the lines of the design of the Incredibles, how the future was envisoned in the 60s.

• some guy

If the van halen track were to end up getting thrown out before opening, my top choices would be:
    Zeppelin
    Scorpions
    Yes
    Lynrd Skynrd
    Kansas

Aerosmith would've been the top of that list if there wasn't already a Disney ride dedicated to them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think RnRc at MGM uses multiple tracks from Aerosmith, with each car with a different track. Something like that would be cool for Rockit Mountain, possibly with a variety of different artists.

As for Dick Dale, I will always love the old soundtrack, but I let go of the idea of ever having that back when Al reported that the music would all be new. Anyway, it's not gone forever, that what Ipods are for, right?
    RAKE-A-REESY, CLUCK CLUCK

• Pie > Cake

No Van Hagar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

• Sock Puppet

I was wondering why they didn't go with Metallica. The song "Enter Sandman".

"Exit, light.....Enter, night... Take my hand. Where off to Never-Neverland!"

• Minion

Reading of the heavy metal choices is bringing up visions of a cheap state fair...you know like how they play all that music on that spinning "Himalayan ride"? ewww

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by girl anachronism
    Reading of the heavy metal choices is bringing up visions of a cheap state fair...you know like how they play all that music on that spinning "Himalayan ride"? ewww
    Hahaha. Maybe that's why I don't care for it either.

Why?

After reading an article over at JIM HILL.com I couldn't help but reply to this thread.

Article in question: http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/artic...le.php?ID=1410

Basically it addresses the issues, and ideas behind, the 'Disney Show' concept.

First off, let me state that I am NOT one of those people that will only be happy when the 'original park' is brought back. Change is inevitable and good. My question is this: Does Space Mountain NEED a rock-n-roll night theme? I mean honestly, how unpopular was the ride before they closed it? It was popular when it had no music and it was popular after they added music.

I just think they need to consider the needs of the RIDE first, before the needs of the casual park attendee. The normal park patron probably has hundreds of songs they personally would LOVE to hear while riding SM, but what does it do to the ride as a whole?

What would happen to SM if, years ago, they took a poll and found that 'Mmm-Bop' by Hanson was the most popular song at the time and that kids would come FLOCKING to the park and ride in droves if they added it? It would RUIN the ride even if increases its popularity for a short time. (I must add that I think the idea of people coming to Disneyland simply to ride SM because it plays a Van Halen song OR any song, a complete fabrication and pipedream)

In the JimHill article I think it sums up the fact that Disney is such a great experience because everything is thought out and fits.... even if you DONT realize it.

Just because the majority of guests would like $1.00 tickets and would probably come in record numbers, doesnt mean that its the right thing to do. I think the same is true with a 'rock-themed' space mountain.

the current Van Halen thing might work... I doubt it.... but I hope so.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook

the current Van Halen thing might work... I doubt it.... but I hope so.

Tim

i can only compare this to the aerosmith themed coaster at MGM....at first thought, it sounded like a lame state fair type of idea with a rock band being part of it....but that ride turned out to be pretty neat.

so i have faith that a VH soundtrack to an already great ride will just make it even cooler

The only problem with the comparison is that MGM's Rock-nRollercoaster was BUILT and THEMED to be a Rock and Roll coaster. Aerosmith IS the preshow. Aerosmith music fits perfectly.

If Rockit Mountain was a NEW coaster.... then Im sure it would be awesome. But dont try to fit something 'hip' (if Van Halen still is hip, which I doubt) into an old ride with a totally different theme.

I love Pink Floyds THE WALL, but I would kill myself if they blasted it while I was on HM, IASM, or BTM.... or ANY ride for that matter.

• Greetings, Program!

Well, comparing Floyd to Halen is a little like comparing a John Deere tractor to a limo.....sure they both have wheels, but they are different animals altogether.

But I digress.....I think a lotta people are freaking out over something relatively silly. First of all, this is just a proposal. I personally hope it comes to pass being the biased chump that I am. But, it likely won't once someone gets it in their head to point out some of the more sexually suggestive aspects of Van Halen (look up the lyrics to "Black and Blue", "Good Enough" or "Up For Breakfast" to see just a tiny example).

If it were all up to me, I wouldn't even have a rock soundtrack for SM. I always thought something more orchestral and space opera/science-fictiony would be more suiting.

But, it makes sense to transform the ride into something a little more frenetic at night. Van Halen was just one idea.....had nothing to do with being 'hip' (which I happen to think they still are - I see kids who weren't even born when I was in high school waering the VH logo now). So, I really doubt that this will come to pass, and if it does, it will probably change within 6 months or after the 50th celebrations are done.

Might as well jump.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

How about some slamming techno like in the Blade soundtrack. Been listening to the Blade Soundtrack on my MP3 player and think some songs would be perfect. I believe it has to be hard to make the experience more extreme.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Official Mice Chat person

I don't mind the Van Halen music at all, it won't ruin anything.

I guess Im still just waiting for someone to justify why SM needs a rock themed nighttime offering? Why fix something that just aint broke?

And it's not that I dont like VanHalen either, I just dont see the need to do this. I agree that a ride-soundtrack is a great idea... just one that is themed TO the ride.

Should EVERY ride change after 7pm?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast