• A Pirate's Life For Me

Fireworks Performed Aug 2 After Cancellation on 3 Previous Days

I read here that the fireworks were cancelled on July 30 and 31, and was at DLR on Aug 2 (yesterday) and heard from another guest they were also cancelled Aug 1.

About 15 minutes before they were to start last night, the announcer comes on to say that they may be cancelled due to winds once again. But they went on as planned and on schedule.

While there I realized the last time I had seen them was exactly one year ago to the night. In 2005 we got to the hub 1 hour early to get a good viewing spot. Wow, what a difference a year makes. We got there about 55 minutes early last night and only a few people had staked out a spot. But we could have come 20 minutes before and still gotton a fine spot.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Fireworks Performed Aug 2 After Cancellation on 3 Previous Days

Glad to see that they didn't forget how to put on the show! LOL

(yeah, on our last trip we noticed the crowds lightening up for the show)

Hope you had a BLAST!

• Earth Intruder

Just one of the reasons I'm disappointed that Remember fireworks aren't "glowing away" after the 50th. Really, they should try and reconfigure a show that only needs to be cancelled when there is actual inclement weather.

I love Remember, but to not have it go off THAT often due to winds at high altitudes which don't even make the tops of the trees move is silly.

Oh, wait, I mean silly and disheartening for us guests. Not silly for the bean counters at Disneyland, who can boast a great fireworks show AND save money for all those nights when it doesn't happen. Yeah, of course it still costs them lots of $$ to hire the people who do the show, but I doubt it costs as much as actually firing the shells.

Edit: Perhaps Remember ISN'T coming back in 2007... this still seems to be up in the air, from what I've been able to dig up.
    Last edited by Chernabog; 08-03-2006 at 08:31 AM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

I don't think there is any conspericy here. The klast few nights, we have been out running errands and stopped by the park to watch the fireworks from outside. Both nights the wind was whipping around pretty well. I think its difficult to judge the wind from inside the park, simply becuae of all the trees and man made obsticles.

The one thing I was suprised with was the fact that they DID have the show last night, becuase out of the nights we were there, the wind was worse last night.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Newseditor44
    I don't think there is any conspericy here. .
    Neither do I. The show can't run when there's "winds at high altitudes" because it isn't safe for park guests. I'm glad they DO put safety above all else.

I don't think they cancel fireworks "to save money on shells." But the show is what it is, and Disneyland could come up with a new show that stops only during inclement weather rather than "winds at high altitudes."
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Yknow I thought it was odd when they had the show last year when I was there in december and it was cloudy and raining. Didnt think fireworks could work in the rain.

• Neep meep beep

I'm sure they could come up with some alternate program when there's "winds at high altitudes", perhaps using more lasers or projections, or less high altitude shells. But I agree -- it's not to save money. They've already spent their entire budget by the time the show is put on - the shells have been purchased, the huge amount of cast members doing crowd control have been paid, tinkerbell's salary is paid, and the cast members running the control booth are all paid. Like any business, Disney buys it's fireworks shells in bulk and purchases based on how many they expect to use for the entire season - so cancelling a show doesn't "save" any money.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    Just one of the reasons I'm disappointed that Remember fireworks aren't "glowing away" after the 50th. Really, they should try and reconfigure a show that only needs to be cancelled when there is actual inclement weather.

I love Remember, but to not have it go off THAT often due to winds at high altitudes which don't even make the tops of the trees move is silly.

Oh, wait, I mean silly and disheartening for us guests. Not silly for the bean counters at Disneyland, who can boast a great fireworks show AND save money for all those nights when it doesn't happen. Yeah, of course it still costs them lots of $$ to hire the people who do the show, but I doubt it costs as much as actually firing the shells.

Edit: Perhaps Remember ISN'T coming back in 2007... this still seems to be up in the air, from what I've been able to dig up.
    I agree that there needs to be something else that doesn't get cancelled so often. I was there last night and when the announcement was made, I was SO disheartened. For over a year I had been waiting patiently to see the show and I would've been more disappointed than I have ever been at the park. You guys should've seen how many people left (after waiting an HOUR) when they said it *might* be cancelled, lol. Also, I thought I had staked out a great spot right next to the castle with a view of in between the castle and Matterhorn, but then when the fireworks start most of them were behind a huge tree! The alignment didn't match up at all either so the castle backdrop was worthless. It was still a fabulous show, just amazing, but the underlying idea behind the entire show was lost.

This show is awe-inspiring when it actually works and when you see it with the castle backdrop. But the fact that it gets cancelled so much and the castle backdrop is only available to a few thousands guests makes this show very limited. I don't care if the next show isn't as amazing as this one, as long as it works every night, isn't limited to a 100 square-foot sweet spot, and doesn't get blocked by a 20' tree it will be better than what I personally saw last night from my position.

Awesome show when it works though.

• Disneyland Cast Member

And don't forget the cost of unloading an unfired show and then transporting it to Disney's pyro site in Nevada to be destroyed. And on top of that the cost of that unfired show. When the show first appeared the cost was $50,000 per launch. It is now down to $20,000. I'm sure the upcoming version of a Million Dreams show will be scaled down. And from an operations point it will be nice to get back the backstage access that is closed during the show. There is currently a union grevience to get back pay for CMs who couldn't leave their locations during the show. Heck I made over $2,000 after the last walk time dispute.