Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• The one, the only...

Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

I love the Hillbillies too. What a great show! It tops anything that WDW has to offer! It is hard to do as many performances as they do and still keep it fresh.

I am sorry that it was not what you expected, but the show is in Fronteirland. Country music is the number one radio format in the country. Someone is listening. It is a show that young and old can enjoy. That is very "Disney" to me.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    Aside from that, they're exceedingly talented artists, and just downright funny. Walking in and immediately comparing what used to be there and what's there now isn't really fair to these talented men. You can't compare the old show to the Hillbillies...they're completely different! Appreciate the show for what it is and participate, and you'll have a wonderful time. If you're going to sit there with your arms crossed, well...the only person who is closing their heart is you (generally speaking).
    Oh yeah, sorry about that...I didn't mean to sound like I was putting them down, the group itself was fabulous and they made every effort to entertain the crowd. It's just that I didn't like the format of the show, I'm not too big on audience participation.

One extremely funny scene in the show is where he puts on a "pros-teeth-sis" and makes the absolute funniest face I've ever seen. The train was cool too, but it just didn't grab my attention like past shows. I really miss the Golden Horseshoe Jamboree.

As for the pictures, I personally didn't take any, but my relatives took some and I'll try to download those if I can.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    $85 for both parks? Isn't a parkhopper $79? Otherwise, great trip report. I always like hearing the impressions of guests, whether good or bad. Good job.
    $79 plus taxes .

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I just read Ath's response and noticed i was wrong . I thought the tickets had taxes on them though.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by wickeddisneygurl
    i guess it's just a matter of taste. i've never been a big fan of country music. plus, the one guy put those big teeth in, made a face, and scared my cousin and then proceeded to make fun of her (jokingly i hope). i just have to defend my cousin. i also have to acknowledge that i was wrong. liking that show truly does depend on taste. sorry! to each his own!
    No no, it's fine Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Yeah, he was only joking. They do that to audience members all the time. You gotta just ease up and realize that they're just trying to entertain the audeince and you gotta laugh with them. It's what any comedian does...they don't do it to hurt or upset anyone.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Did you the the pirates in New Orleans Square, at least that is new comparred to the Sally Mae Drag show in Frontierland. It really is too bad they haven't updated that show in years.

And the Billies are ok. But I much prefer the dance hall gals! Billies would be good in a land based on the southeast USA, but a saloon needs dancing girls and cowboys to make it the old west.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    But kudos for liking DCA - I really like it too. It's just more laid back and relaxing most of the time.
    Yeah, I totally agree. DCA has got this feeling of relaxation because there's not as much to do there so it forces you to slow down and take in the atmosphere, which is great in my opinion. It's also a *completely* different feel and mindset from Disneyland. When I got back into Disneyland, it felt like I did DCA weeks ago because it feels like 2 different worlds.

I am glad that they are doing small placemaking projects and not demolishing the park or large areas of it. It's wonderful as a companion park because it's so different, yet it still retains a lot of Disney charm. It would be tragic if they tried to put another Disneyland across from the real Disneyland.

I almost did Golden Dreams with my group, it was either that or Splash Mountain so, yeah, easy choice. The reason for wanting to see this film? It had Whoopi in it. See, us hardcore Disney fans don't think about this kind of stuff, but that seemingly useless banner outside actually DID attract an entire group of people who otherwise wouldn't have even know there was a theater there!

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    Did you the the pirates in New Orleans Square, at least that is new comparred to the Sally Mae Drag show in Frontierland. It really is too bad they haven't updated that show in years.
    You know what, I wanted to see the new pirate show in the worst way, but I just didn't have enough time. I would've really loved to have sat down at Cafe Orleans and watch them though. This last trip has convinced me to get an AP and go MUCH more frequently. My expectations for Disneyland were blown so high out of proportion that no theme park, even Disneyland, could've lived up to them since I had 4 years to build it up in my mind.

I need to go more often to keep the expectations more realistic and give myself more time to slow down and enjoy the park instead of rushing to see all the new stuff that I haven't seen before. I still didn't get to see the Jungle Cruise or Haunted Mansion, even rushing, so I'd really like to get an AP. I was trying to see the park through you guys' eyes, taking in the atmosphere and taking a nice slow pace, but ended up going commando since there was SO much to see and I think I need to start coming to the weekly meets to see the park as you guys do.

And on a positive note, I'd just like to say that my experience with the lines was SO much better than 2002, the lines moved very quickly and even in the peak of summer, no line was longer than 30 minutes (except for Splash Mountain). I commend the management for really speeding up the load times by having extra vehicles and ripping out that ridiculous FastPass from Pirates, Star Tours and HM. Splash Mountain's line was super long, it said one hour but it was more like 2, and it crawled along at a snail's pace. That ride needs new logs or less FastPass or something, because it was really aggrevating. But every single ride there had an incredible line, I've never moved so quickly through the rides, let alone in August! That was an improvement that was both highly noticable and very much appreciated in the hot August sun.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-03-2006 at 12:40 PM.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    ...This last trip has convinced me to get an AP and go MUCH more frequently. ...I still didn't get to see the Jungle Cruise or Haunted Mansion, even rushing, so I'd really like to get an AP. ...I think I need to start coming to the weekly meets to see the park as you guys do.
    Those are all really great ideas. I'm sorry you didn't get to see the changes to the Haunted Mansion!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Why didn't you ride Haunted Mansion Athlon?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    And on a positive note, I'd just like to say that my experience with the lines was SO much better than 2002, the lines moved very quickly and even in the peak of summer, no line was longer than 30 minutes (except for Splash Mountain). I commend the management for really speeding up the load times by having extra vehicles and ripping out that ridiculous FastPass from Pirates, Star Tours and HM. Splash Mountain's line was super long, it said one hour but it was more like 2, and it crawled along at a snail's pace. That ride needs new logs or less FastPass or something, because it was really aggrevating. But every single ride there had an incredible line, I've never moved so quickly through the rides, let alone in August! That was an improvement that was both highly noticable and very much appreciated in the hot August sun.
    Well for Splash, I think that they need to figure out a way that can increase the amount of riders per hour it recieves. Aside from Fastpass, the slowness problem is caused by the fact that the logs can not carry as many passangers, etc. I think more logs and maybe more seats could definatly help make the line move faster.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Why didn't you ride Haunted Mansion Athlon?
    I simply ran out of time unfortunately. I really, really wanted to ride it, but I was with a large group and majority rules. I didn't really want to break off by myself since I came by myself to meet them there. They were my family who I hadn't seen in years so it was more to be with them then fulfill my quest to see all the new stuff. If it was up to me, I definitely would've made it a point to check it out. I love that attic scene and I was really curious to see what the seance room looked like now since video doesn't capture it that well. I especially wanted to see it since almost every ride I went on was improved. Splash was WAY better lit up inside, Star Tours' huge info board with the destinations was working, IASW sounded better than ever with new props I think, and I didn't get a chance to see it but I'm sure the Tiki Room would've been better than ever. It was amazing to ride something and every single time see something new or improved!

One other thing was the parking situation. I had never parked in the structure before (always the Timon lot) so I wanted to park there this time. I'm the type of person that gets lost VERY easily and to be honest, at no point did I ever know where I was from Disney Drive to the parking structure. There's Magic Way, Harbor Blvd, Disney Drive, and Ball Road and I get all of them so confused. I *think* I went to the Timon lot somehow because I paid for a ticket then drove around (by sheer luck the Timon lot was closed so they led us to the structure from that lot) so I drove around and there's TONS of roads for Downtown Disney, the hotels, the parks and the city streets so eventually I found the structure. I had no idea there was a ground-level lot adjacent to the structure, the Pinocchio lot, but I had to park there instead of the structure...maybe next time. They did an excellent job marking the roads, it was just my horrible sense of direction that got me lost. Remarkably, I navigated myself around Disneyland and knew every square foot of it, but that was more because I committed the entire park and its layout to memory than any sense of direction.

I forgot to mention the character encounters too. I almost ran into Cinderella, literally, when I was coming out of the bathroom and there's this narrow space to get to the CM area in the same alley as the bathroom...I forget which land it was in. I wasn't paying attention and this entourage of around 3 uniformed CMs and Cinderella were going back to the CM area and she has that huge dress so it was kind of hard to get over. Then I saw Dale in the Redwood treehouse thing at DCA and it was pretty cool, my cousin was playing with the dials on a radio and nothing happened of course. So Dale came over and started messing with it too and shrugged and shook his head. I love how the rubberhead characters can "speak" so well through actions. I had to walk behind Chip in a relatively confined area (who was in a totally different area than Dale for some reason) and it was kind of weird because it reminded me of that story someone told about how Woody was kicked by an incredibly rude guest. I would NEVER do something like that of course, but it really would give a guest a big opportunity to do it since those characters are highly vulnerable...they can't hear or see as well as a face character. It just felt kind of weird to have to go behind Chip to get through a door after reading that sad story since it reminded me of that.

One character I totally got bummed out on was not finding Push...I didn't see him anywhere and I was looking at every single trashcan in Tomorrowland to see if it said "PUSH" on it. I know sometimes he likes to stay still for a while so I made a conscious effort to seek him out instead of waiting for a crowd to form. Besides the rides, that was the one thing I really wanted to see.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-03-2006 at 01:40 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Oh I don't like being in big groups I prefer small ones . I am not the type of person who likes to watch fireworks or parades as well. So if I were to be in a big group and have to watch the shows or parades when I could be on rides or shopping, I would be bummed .

Hope you get to see HM soon enough though .

• Popular Princess

i hate being in big groups, too. in fact that's how i got dragged into seeing billy hill and the hillbillies! that was totally majority rules. it's also tough to be in a big group because someone always winds up not getting to do something they want to do. hope you get to do more next time you go back!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12