Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1

    • FastPass n00b
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,846

    8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    Went to Disneyland for the first time in 4 years yesterday and was kind of surprised. For one thing, and I know this is heresy, but I actually had more lighthearted fun at DCA than Disneyland. I don't know what it was, but DCA's atmosphere is just so much more lively and fun with the music and everything. I think it might have been because I was expecting the world from Disneyland whereas my expectations for DCA were highly deflated. I think next time I go my expectations will probably be more evened out.

    I saw Remember for the first time and while it was by FAR the best fireworks show I have ever seen in my life...it's still a fireworks show. I mean, there's only so much you can do with fireworks and I actually preferred Fantasmic better. But OMG, when the Electrical Parade music hit, I got goosebumps and it just sent shivers up my spine to once again hear the music where it's MEANT to be heard. The Electrical Parade doesn't do anything for me in DCA, but just *hearing* the music at Disneyland was enough to make me weak in the knees!

    Now, I know people here always have at least one negative thing and mine took place on the Orange Stinger at DCA. I was waiting with my group near the turnstyle when someone comes from out of nowhere and edged me out of line then signals for someone else to come. I didn't think anything of it because I'd still get on...but then as I tried to get in front of her they tell me I have to wait for the next one. Man, I was pissed but unfortunately I'm spineless too so I didn't confront them. I wanted to tell the CM but I'm not sure if he could've done anything since it would've been their word against ours.

    I was finally able to ride Tower of Terror and, wow, that ride is awesome! I would not venture to say it's a full E-ticket, more like a D-ticket, but the library (LOVED the lightning outside timed with the video) and drop sequence were amazing. Everyone always mentioned how great the boiler room was but there were visible colored light fixtures everywhere and it just looked more like a ride than a real boiler room. The Hotel lobby though, my goodness, I really truly felt as if I had just walked into a real hotel, complete with a front desk. I was amazed at just how quickly the ride drops...even though it's extremely high up, it's over in like one second. I was thinking it would take around 3 times longer to reach the bottom, but it really fools you. I love how it shoots you up then shoots you down, it really increases the air time.

    Overall I was really impressed with the upkeep of the park. The castle cannot possibly be done justice through photos. That castle is truly the centerpiece of the park now and it captures your attention first and foremost. It's painted so beautifully that you really do have to see it to realize just how great it looks...totally different than the pictures. Even though I just ignored the ODV carts, they were a major problem during the fireworks and Fantasmic because every inch is precious when there's 20,000 people trying to go 20,000 directions. There was one point where there were 4 strollers about 15 feet apart all converging into 3 feet worth of space...I'm not kidding, I had to literally jump out of the way and I accidently hit one while I jumped. I felt really sorry for the poor kid inside because it must've been quite a jolt.

    Went to the Golden Horseshoe for the first time in more than 10 years and what a loss that was. The Hillbillies thing was okay for street entertainment, but I was used to the Revue and Jamboree and was completely disappointed...they even removed the section where the small band was in front. Of course, same old tired show outside the Horseshoe with the "Mayor" and everything, didn't even bother to glance at that one anymore. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to see the new pirate music group, I really wanted to but there just wasn't enough time.

    I'm speaking from my own experience that I had yesterday here, but I was *extremely* disappointed in the street entertainment at Disneyland. Granted, I was trying to get on the rides and didn't have time to just sit down on Main Street but I remember there being one entertainer after another 6 years ago. It really killed the atmosphere for me and I'm sure you guys have probably seen a lot of entertainers, but I'm speaking like a tourist who visits once every few years and I didn't see anything more than the Golden Horseshoe outdoor show that I've seen a million times (or what seems like a million anyway).

    I usually take it easy on rude behavior because people seem to get hot under the collar about EVERY little thing and I give people a lot of room to be rude since 99% of the time they don't realize they're being rude. However, there are instances of being *blatantly* rude, one which it is obvious that the person is a jerk and not just a simple misunderstanding. Cutting in line like I mentioned is one of these instances, but this incident went beyond that. An incredibly rude guest asked one of the pirate actors, "How much do you get paid to look like a fool?", to which the actor quickly replied, "How much do YOU get paid to look like a fool?". I applaud the CM for coming up with such a quick and snappy comeback because no one should have to take that from anyone. These guests feel that the CMs are theirs to pick on and they can't defend themselves, but this CM came back and taught the guest a lesson in humility...bravo!

    Pirates of the Carribbean was kind of a letdown for me. The Davy Jones effect was small, the music was not loud enough, and the projector can clearly be seen for that effect. I didn't mind Jack Sparrow at all since he is VERY muted (until the ending, you could almost miss him if you didn't already know he was there), they did an excellent job keeping the feel of the ride intact. But the new effects just didn't do anything for me. It was a marginal improvement and I could go either way, but I slightly prefer the new one better. By the way, did anyone else notice the pistol in the skeleton's hand in the beginning (near the crab)? I'm not sure if it was there or not, and it's partially buried and kind of hard to see, but I thought that was a great tip of the hat to the first film since it was so subtle and almost invisible.

    Space Mountain was interesting, not better but just interesting. It's WAY more like cruising through outer space now. It's so smooth and the stars are so much better. It really feels like you're out in the middle of nowhere. I thought the queue was a step backwards (never mess with John Hench's work IMO) and the ride itself is nowhere near how scary and thrilling it once was. However, the dynamics have changed completely and the fun of it is no longer the "thrill" as it is the *sensation* of flying through space. It's finally achieved what it wanted to do in 1977, feel like a trip through outer space instead of a rollercoaster in the dark. It's interesting because everyone thought the technology didn't exist in 1967 to do Space Mountain, but it turns out that the technology didn't exist in 1977 either...it took 30 years even after that to finally reach the level of technology that would create a true "trip though space" feel.

    I had fun yesterday and the $85 was well worth it for both parks. I would NEVER pay full admission for DCA, but for $15 I got more than my money's worth. The Resort mentality has really changed the way I feel about Disneyland and it's just not the same as when it stood alone. Even the shirts say "Walt Disney World Resort" right next to Disneyland Resort. Disneyland has lost its once unique identity and I hope that somehow, some way Iger fires that Jay Rasulo for slowly turning Disneyland into "Disney Park #001". I am starting to really like DCA though and even though it's changed the feel of Disneyland...it really adds MAJOR variety to the Disneyland Resort.

    Me (left) and my younger cousin...I suck at arcades.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-03-2006 at 10:36 AM.

  2. #2

    • MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,042
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    Great Report! NEED PICS though. Nice read, thank you .
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson



  3. #3

    • Popular Princess
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Stuck in a good book
    Posts
    11,399

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Now, I know people here always have at least one negative thing and mine took place on the Orange Stinger at DCA. I was waiting with my group near the turnstyle when someone comes from out of nowhere and edged me out of line then signals for someone else to come. I didn't think anything of it because I'd still get on...but then as I tried to get in front of her they tell me I have to wait for the next one. Man, I was pissed but unfortunately I'm spineless too so I didn't confront them. I wanted to tell the CM but I'm not sure if he could've done anything since it would've been their word against ours.
    that sucks! i had a similar experience a week ago on a few other rides. people go to the parks and check their brains (and manners )

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I was finally able to ride Tower of Terror and, wow, that ride is awesome! I would not venture to say it's a full E-ticket, more like a D-ticket, but the library (LOVED the lightning outside timed with the video) and drop sequence were amazing. Everyone always mentioned how great the boiler room was but there were visible colored light fixtures everywhere and it just looked more like a ride than a real boiler room. The Hotel lobby though, my goodness, I really truly felt as if I had just walked into a real hotel, complete with a front desk. I was amazed at just how quickly the ride drops...even though it's extremely high up, it's over in like one second. I was thinking it would take around 3 times longer to reach the bottom, but it really fools you. I love how it shoots you up then shoots you down, it really increases the air time.
    i like the boiler room, although everytime i went through the last few times, we've been rushed through so i haven't really noticed anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Went to the Golden Horseshoe for the first time in more than 10 years and what a loss that was. The Hillbillies thing was okay for street entertainment, but I was used to the Revue and Jamboree and was completely disappointed...they even removed the section where the small band was in front.
    we went there too. omg!!! it was HORRIBLE!!! it was probably just me, but it was so obnoxius and it scared my little cousin. i almost fell asleep. the only thing that stopped me was that it was too loud.

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I usually take it easy on rude behavior because people seem to get hot under the collar about EVERY little thing and I give people a lot of room to be rude since 99% of the time they don't realize they're being rude. However, there are instances of being *blatantly* rude, one which it is obvious that the person is a jerk and not just a simple misunderstanding. Cutting in line like I mentioned is one of these instances, but this incident went beyond that. An incredibly rude guest asked one of the pirate actors, "How much do you get paid to look like a fool?", to which the actor quickly replied, "How much do YOU get paid to look like a fool?". I applaud the CM for coming up with such a quick and snappy comeback because no one should have to take that from anyone. These guests feel that the CMs are theirs to pick on and they can't defend themselves, but this CM came back and taught the guest a lesson in humility...bravo!
    yes. i saw so many characters get beat up by little kids whose parents just let them get away with it. the characters were not only hot but also hurt. they were trying so hard to get the kids to stop beating them up. the cm with them finally took the characters away for awhile so they could get a break and allow the kids to calm down.

    one last thing...give us pics please! i'd love to see them!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland




  4. #4

    • Neep meep beep
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seven miles from Disneyland/DCA!
    Posts
    6,991

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    $85 for both parks? Isn't a parkhopper $79? Otherwise, great trip report. I always like hearing the impressions of guests, whether good or bad. Good job.

  5. #5

    • Silly Bird?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The empty rafters of Innoventions
    Posts
    273

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    i haven't followed up with anyone about the music in POTC yet, but let me ask you Athlonacon, what was the soundtrack like. I was quite concerned that they would take out the delightfully mischevious tracks from the sixties and replace it with the Hans Zimmer music that I alone abhorr.

    So what was it?
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

    SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

  6. #6

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    I'm sorry, but I have to defend the Hillbillies here.

    Every person that I've taken to that show has absolutely adored it. The show is very much an audience-interaction type of event, so if you as an audience don't give the Billies anything, the show isn't going to be remotely as fun.

    I love to go see them. I love them so much that for my birthday this year, I decided that the main event would be to wait outside in line so we could sit right up and close to the stage. I actually got to sit on one of the wings...and, well, it was one of the most wonderful experiences I had. They totally made my birthday something extra special.

    Aside from that, they're exceedingly talented artists, and just downright funny. Walking in and immediately comparing what used to be there and what's there now isn't really fair to these talented men. You can't compare the old show to the Hillbillies...they're completely different! Appreciate the show for what it is and participate, and you'll have a wonderful time. If you're going to sit there with your arms crossed, well...the only person who is closing their heart is you (generally speaking).

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    Mission Seagull, the old PotC soundtracks have been remastered and upgraded, still the same, delightful old tune.

    The only place one can hear new music from the movie (from what I can recall) is during the battle between the Wicked Wench and the fort. I haven't heard a single person (that includes purists) that have disliked this addition. It makes the scene much more epic and dramatic than it used to be, IMO.

  8. #8

    • FastPass n00b
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,846

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mission Seagull
    i haven't followed up with anyone about the music in POTC yet, but let me ask you Athlonacon, what was the soundtrack like. I was quite concerned that they would take out the delightfully mischevious tracks from the sixties and replace it with the Hans Zimmer music that I alone abhorr.

    So what was it?
    I was REALLY worried that they destroyed the attraction, but the music is really subdued...it plays in the background so you really don't even notice it. In the videos, it's really pronounced but when you're riding it it's totally different, the volume is MUCH lower in real life.

    To tell you the truth, I really didn't notice the music too much because it really is a background thing with the ride. The only new music is really the Davy Jones scene, they took out the 60's style music there, and the fighting scene. Other than that I think the rest of the music remains untouched.

    But you guys have nothing to fear about losing the attraction. I was scared, even after dozens of people told me not to worry, but this attraction is IDENTICAL to how it was before, the Davy Jones scene is the only thing that's noticable, the rest of it is the same attraction we've grown to love.

  9. #9

    • FastPass n00b
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,846

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    $85 for both parks? Isn't a parkhopper $79? Otherwise, great trip report. I always like hearing the impressions of guests, whether good or bad. Good job.
    Yeah, I had to pay $10 for parking so parkhopper (with SoCal discount) plus parking was $85 total.

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    Wow, Sorry for you, that you were let down so much.
    Myself, I am so happy to see the street entertainment back in full force, and have really been enjoying that.
    I have a complete different feeling on most of your points, but thanks for a great in-depth report!
    I leave in 16 days, for a week, Can't wait for Billy Hill!!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

  11. #11

    • Neep meep beep
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seven miles from Disneyland/DCA!
    Posts
    6,991

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    I totally agree with P-Whip (big surprise here), and I absolutely loved the Hillbillies, even though before I went it didn't sound like my kind of thing.

    However, I didn't register disagreement with the original poster's opinion, because it was just that - his opinion. As long as you see the actual act, and then give your opinion, I might be of a different one (opinion), but I think he's entitled to his impressions of the show itself.

    For those reading who haven't seen the Hillibillies - I think you will love it. It's a fun time, and a good way to get out of the heat during the 11-5 long lines period in Disneyland.

    --Frogberto

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    I'm sorry, but I have to defend the Hillbillies here.

    Every person that I've taken to that show has absolutely adored it. The show is very much an audience-interaction type of event, so if you as an audience don't give the Billies anything, the show isn't going to be remotely as fun.

    I love to go see them. I love them so much that for my birthday this year, I decided that the main event would be to wait outside in line so we could sit right up and close to the stage. I actually got to sit on one of the wings...and, well, it was one of the most wonderful experiences I had. They totally made my birthday something extra special.

    Aside from that, they're exceedingly talented artists, and just downright funny. Walking in and immediately comparing what used to be there and what's there now isn't really fair to these talented men. You can't compare the old show to the Hillbillies...they're completely different! Appreciate the show for what it is and participate, and you'll have a wonderful time. If you're going to sit there with your arms crossed, well...the only person who is closing their heart is you (generally speaking).

  12. #12

    • Man of Logic and Reason
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    337

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mission Seagull
    i haven't followed up with anyone about the music in POTC yet, but let me ask you Athlonacon, what was the soundtrack like. I was quite concerned that they would take out the delightfully mischevious tracks from the sixties and replace it with the Hans Zimmer music that I alone abhorr.

    So what was it?
    Try Claus Bedelt (sp?), not Zimmer. Hans wrote the score for the second film and produced the first film's soundtrack. The music in the battle scene is the fanfare heard when Jack makes his entrance in the first film.

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    943

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    I like the Billies Too!!

    DL has Tons more street performers than WDW and for that matter more than I remember from years past...
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

  14. #14

    • Popular Princess
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Stuck in a good book
    Posts
    11,399

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    I'm sorry, but I have to defend the Hillbillies here.

    Every person that I've taken to that show has absolutely adored it. The show is very much an audience-interaction type of event, so if you as an audience don't give the Billies anything, the show isn't going to be remotely as fun.

    I love to go see them. I love them so much that for my birthday this year, I decided that the main event would be to wait outside in line so we could sit right up and close to the stage. I actually got to sit on one of the wings...and, well, it was one of the most wonderful experiences I had. They totally made my birthday something extra special.

    Aside from that, they're exceedingly talented artists, and just downright funny. Walking in and immediately comparing what used to be there and what's there now isn't really fair to these talented men. You can't compare the old show to the Hillbillies...they're completely different! Appreciate the show for what it is and participate, and you'll have a wonderful time. If you're going to sit there with your arms crossed, well...the only person who is closing their heart is you (generally speaking).
    i guess it's just a matter of taste. i've never been a big fan of country music. plus, the one guy put those big teeth in, made a face, and scared my cousin and then proceeded to make fun of her (jokingly i hope). i just have to defend my cousin. i also have to acknowledge that i was wrong. liking that show truly does depend on taste. sorry! to each his own!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland




  15. #15

    • For You!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    7,704

    Re: 8/2 Trip Report (thoughts about Disneyland)

    I'm sorry too that you didn't like Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - my family absolutely adores them!!

    But kudos for liking DCA - I really like it too. It's just more laid back and relaxing most of the time.

    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Slate contributer does 5-day trip report.....thoughts? (Merged)
    By Joe_rocks_socks in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
  2. Meet me tonight on Main Street: Trip Report/Thoughts
    By Wotan in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-2005, 03:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •