Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Timon Lot Frustration

Since DCA was built I have always stayed at hotels around DLR and have not had to worry about parking. Yesterday's DLR day trip was my first chance to deal with the DLR day parking situation. So I and DS13 made good time getting to DLR from 40 miles away and arrived at 7:05AM. I dropped off DS13 at the Harbor entrance in the 15 minute lot so he can get a spot in line while I park (thanks Frogberto!). I had decided to park in Timon because I was right there on Harbor and it is closer to the gate.

So I pull into the Timon lot at 7:15 and am the third car there. Right on schedule at 7:30 a guy comes to open the gate. I drive thru and am one of the first to fork over my $10, and the CM hands me my parking receipt and a small piece of paper which of course I take zero time to read because I am in a hurry to get to the DL gate. The CM does not say a word.

I drive into the lot area and, having never been to Timon before (at least not since it became Timon), I am not sure where to enter the lot. I proceed all the way to the end and realize I am on Disneyland Drive and there never was a place to turn into Timon. The guy next to me at the exit (who was also next to me at the Timon parking gate) rolls down his window and says "What happened? Where was the lot? What B.S. Etc.".

So now I look at the paper which was handed to me and it says "The Timon lot is closed today. Please park at Mickey and Friends..." and then it gives directions to M&F.

So I hustle down Disneyland Drive and make a U-turn to get into M&F and it is 7:35 by this time and there are already two long lines of cars (maybe 20-30??) waiting to get in - although I was into the parking structure at this point. So now I am bummed I may miss 8AM park entry - we wanted to hit Peter Pan with a short line first.

In the end, I got parked in the outside "Pinocchio" lot, caught a tram that I only had to wait 2 minutes for, and made it to the DL gate at about 7:56AM. So the story had a happy ending, but some extra stress and confusion which was disappointing. I wish they put a sign out on the street in front of Timon saying "lot closed today". Then I could have gotten over to M&F 15 minutes earlier and been a little less stressed.

As a side note, we grabbed a Space Mtn FP first - were second to the machines - and then headed back to the hub and PP at a brisk pace. But the castle was blocked off for a pending ceremony, and we circled around to PP and it was not running yet. We came back to PP after Matterhorn and got on PP with a 2 minute line.

Overall we hit a larger number of roadblocks than normal but rolled with the punches and had a great time.

• FastPass n00b

Re: Timon Lot Frustration

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy
    Since DCA was built I have always stayed at hotels around DLR and have not had to worry about parking. Yesterday's DLR day trip was my first chance to deal with the DLR day parking situation. So I and DS13 made good time getting to DLR from 40 miles away and arrived at 7:05AM. I dropped off DS13 at the Harbor entrance in the 15 minute lot so he can get a spot in line while I park (thanks Frogberto!). I had decided to park in Timon because I was right there on Harbor and it is closer to the gate.

So I pull into the Timon lot at 7:15 and am the third car there. Right on schedule at 7:30 a guy comes to open the gate. I drive thru and am one of the first to fork over my $10, and the CM hands me my parking receipt and a small piece of paper which of course I take zero time to read because I am in a hurry to get to the DL gate. The CM does not say a word.

I drive into the lot area and, having never been to Timon before (at least not since it became Timon), I am not sure where to enter the lot. I proceed all the way to the end and realize I am on Disneyland Drive and there never was a place to turn into Timon. The guy next to me at the exit (who was also next to me at the Timon parking gate) rolls down his window and says "What happened? Where was the lot? What B.S. Etc.".

So now I look at the paper which was handed to me and it says "The Timon lot is closed today. Please park at Mickey and Friends..." and then it gives directions to M&F.

So I hustle down Disneyland Drive and make a U-turn to get into M&F and it is 7:35 by this time and there are already two long lines of cars (maybe 20-30??) waiting to get in - although I was into the parking structure at this point. So now I am bummed I may miss 8AM park entry - we wanted to hit Peter Pan with a short line first.

In the end, I got parked in the outside "Pinocchio" lot, caught a tram that I only had to wait 2 minutes for, and made it to the DL gate at about 7:56AM. So the story had a happy ending, but some extra stress and confusion which was disappointing. I wish they put a sign out on the street in front of Timon saying "lot closed today". Then I could have gotten over to M&F 15 minutes earlier and been a little less stressed.

As a side note, we grabbed a Space Mtn FP first - were second to the machines - and then headed back to the hub and PP at a brisk pace. But the castle was blocked off for a pending ceremony, and we circled around to PP and it was not running yet. We came back to PP after Matterhorn and got on PP with a 2 minute line.

Overall we hit a larger number of roadblocks than normal but rolled with the punches and had a great time.
    I entered the Timon lot yesterday too, but it was more a combination of an accident and the fact I don't know my way around outside the berm at all...I was trying to get to the structure. I actually didn't even know it was the Timon lot, I just saw a sign for Disneyland parking and followed it. It wasn't until after I hit the second set of parking booths that I realized I had come in through the Timon lot first. I felt foolish having paid way back in that lot, but I just showed them my receipt and they waved me through. Even though I frequent MiceAge/MiceChat, I probably have more in common with the clueless tourist than the average MiceChatter, lol.

Somehow I *always* manage to find the Timon lot and no matter how hard I try, I never seem to find the parking structure. I personally was actually glad Timon was closed because it prevented me from parking there and led me straight to the structure. It must've taken me like 30-40 minutes from the time I got off Disney Drive to the time I entered the park. That was pretty ridiculous considering I had just driven an hour and a half to get there. I wake up at 5:00 AM and *still* managed to miss the rope drop...I was really frustrated at that. I really love the opening ceremony where they annouce the opening of Disneyland and drop the rope, I even woke up extra early to see it happen and to miss it after all that, I was kind of upset. But I seriously underestimated the time it takes to actually get into the park. It took me 10-15 minutes just to get tickets because I forgot to order them online.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Athlon, did you buy the tickets at the front gates? Is that what you mean?

• A Pirate's Life For Me

I did not want to risk the time getting tickets at the booths so ordered them thru the DLR website about 2 weeks beforehand. It was a good thing too as every minute counted. Sounds like Athlon was not able to do this ahead of time.

And the 7:30AM parking lot opening is absurd. They make it almost impossible to get to the gate by 8AM. It is a no-brainer they should open these at 7AM.

• DisneylandDan

I had the same situation happen to me. It sucked but hey atleast you got to visit Disneyland right. The day I went they ended up opening the Timon later that day which bummed me out. Sorry to hear about your early morning hurdles

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Get there even earlier?

Yabbut, the Parking CM's were already there till two or three in the morning the night before ushering out all the people from House Of Blues - I love the Parking CM's, but they've gotta get some sleep sometime...

(Seriously, they're aleready working them like mad - a 60-hour week is the norm, not the exception. Want to hear a CM scream? Say "I know you were supposed to get off at 1600, but we need you to extend for another two hours - and can you come in for a sixth day?..." )

Staffing the Timon gates makes no sense, except for one thing - if they put out barricades at the street and closed the gates totally, some people would interpret that as "The Park Is Closed For The Day." (Cue the Wally World gags.) This would be bad.

So they put one body working at the Timon toll plaza to take the money and direct people on to the other lot - because it would take 15 to 20 CM's minimum to fully staff the Timon parking lot and a few trams for the day. They can add them to the staff for the parking structure.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Lost in Wonderland

Athlonacon, I am the opposite of you. I always find M&F parking structure, but yet to find the Timon parking lot.

• Loves Disney

Reason Why I always exit ball road and go straight to mickey and friends.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Get there even earlier?

Yabbut, the Parking CM's were already there till two or three in the morning the night before ushering out all the people from House Of Blues - I love the Parking CM's, but they've gotta get some sleep sometime...

(Seriously, they're aleready working them like mad - a 60-hour week is the norm, not the exception. Want to hear a CM scream? Say "I know you were supposed to get off at 1600, but we need you to extend for another two hours - and can you come in for a sixth day?..." )

Staffing the Timon gates makes no sense, except for one thing - if they put out barricades at the street and closed the gates totally, some people would interpret that as "The Park Is Closed For The Day." (Cue the Wally World gags.) This would be bad.

So they put one body working at the Timon toll plaza to take the money and direct people on to the other lot - because it would take 15 to 20 CM's minimum to fully staff the Timon parking lot and a few trams for the day. They can add them to the staff for the parking structure.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Excellent point. Like many suggestions about potential improved service at DLR, more manpower would be required. Being aware of how all the CMs are stretched so thin, I try to be especially encouraging and positive to them. It is really amazing how they still provide such a positive Disney experience with the shortage of people and low pay they receive. I hope the new DLR president can find a way to remedy the situation before it deteriorates any further.

And I understand the point about the potential Timon lot sign I would have liked. My OP was so long I did not wish to lengthen it further with a qualification of how this would have helped me while confusing others. I can see why DLR did what they did so as to confuse the least number of people, but I wish they could figure out an alternative.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Hey, at least you didn't show up on a real busy day.

On those days, folks who use the Timon lot entrance are sent straight to Simba (going straight over Disneyland Drive instead of making a right). They tend to do this first thing in the morning, until the lot is full, as it requires traffic control, and usually an Anaheim Police Officer to direct traffic at the intersection (Rules do not allow Disney CM's to be in the public street). Once the lot is full (or the part they are using for theme park parking, since they do save some spaces for Downtown Disney business in the evening), they can let the Police Officer to leave (and Disney has to pay for their services) and then take the CM's directing traffic at Simba to Timon to start parking there. And then when that is full, then they are sent to the Mickeys and Friends structure, or if it is really busy, Buzz Lightyear (the Strawberry field). Also, Disney tries to get folks to park in Pummba by setting up signs and cones on the westbound lanes of Disney Way headed to the Timon entrance.

You are then parked somewhere near the Paradise Pier Hotel, then have to find your way by foot to Downtown Disney and a long walk to the Main Entry Plaza.

Pummba isn't bad, but has no tram service. They tried bus service, since the bus has to go on public streets, but the buses were very slow loading, and after a parade or the fireworks, etc. A lot of folks were getting very frustrated by having one or two busses with about a 40 person capacity and one door, and folks trying to take strollers thru the aisles, etc... So Disney decided to just make everyone walk, just like if you park in Simba.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Hey, at least you didn't show up on a real busy day.

On those days, folks who use the Timon lot entrance are sent straight to Simba (going straight over Disneyland Drive instead of making a right). They tend to do this first thing in the morning, until the lot is full, as it requires traffic control, and usually an Anaheim Police Officer to direct traffic at the intersection (Rules do not allow Disney CM's to be in the public street). Once the lot is full (or the part they are using for theme park parking, since they do save some spaces for Downtown Disney business in the evening), they can let the Police Officer to leave (and Disney has to pay for their services) and then take the CM's directing traffic at Simba to Timon to start parking there. And then when that is full, then they are sent to the Mickeys and Friends structure, or if it is really busy, Buzz Lightyear (the Strawberry field). Also, Disney tries to get folks to park in Pummba by setting up signs and cones on the westbound lanes of Disney Way headed to the Timon entrance.

You are then parked somewhere near the Paradise Pier Hotel, then have to find your way by foot to Downtown Disney and a long walk to the Main Entry Plaza.

Pummba isn't bad, but has no tram service. They tried bus service, since the bus has to go on public streets, but the buses were very slow loading, and after a parade or the fireworks, etc. A lot of folks were getting very frustrated by having one or two busses with about a 40 person capacity and one door, and folks trying to take strollers thru the aisles, etc... So Disney decided to just make everyone walk, just like if you park in Simba.
    Well, the experience and your feedback here have convinced me to always use M&F in the future if I need to day park. Thanks.

It took me two times to realize there was such a shortcut, BUT, if you go in through the Lion King lot and get sent to Mickey and Friends, you don't have to go all the way down to Ball and do a U-turn. You can turn left at the Downtown Disney light, and then go straight and immediately right after the light for DTD. It's one lane that feeds into Pinnochio and gets routed all the way around the lot into M&F. It's incredibly obscure and common sense tells most people to ignore the tiny theme parks parking arrow at the DTD light, but that's the easy and official way to get routed to M&F. You also skip the toll booths.

This MAY not be open all the time though, it wouldn't surprise me if it were closed in the morning since the only time I've done this was when Timon was already full, not empty.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine
    It took me two times to realize there was such a shortcut, BUT, if you go in through the Lion King lot and get sent to Mickey and Friends, you don't have to go all the way down to Ball and do a U-turn. You can turn left at the Downtown Disney light, and then go straight and immediately right after the light for DTD. It's one lane that feeds into Pinnochio and gets routed all the way around the lot into M&F. It's incredibly obscure and common sense tells most people to ignore the tiny theme parks parking arrow at the DTD light, but that's the easy and official way to get routed to M&F. You also skip the toll booths.

This MAY not be open all the time though, it wouldn't surprise me if it were closed in the morning since the only time I've done this was when Timon was already full, not empty.
    When I entered Pinocchio there was another line coming into Pinocchio from the opposite direction. I had no idea where this came from but your explanation sounds like the most likely reason.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Athlon, did you buy the tickets at the front gates? Is that what you mean?
    After tracking my path on Google Maps, this is exactly what I did: I was coming North on the 5 and got off on Disney Drive, I pulled into the Timon Lot then somehow managed to turn right on Walnut. I turned right on Ball St, recognizing the name from this message board, and then finally turned into the parking structure. I had no idea I was supposed to stay on the freeway until Disneyland Drive. All these stupid Disney-themed street names confuse the heck out of me. There's Disney Drive, Disneyland Drive, Magic Way...I didn't have a clue where any of them led. They really should have one single road, or reserve the "Disney" name for the one that actually goes into the parking structure. Or they should really name the streets "Timon Parking Street", "Mickey and Friends Street" and "Disneyland Hotel Street".

Adormouse, do you come in through I-5 North? Because I think most people come from I-5 South and come the opposite direction that I do (I come in through 5 North since I'm way down here halfway between Anaheim and San Diego).

I got that note they handed out that said the Timon Lot was closed to and apparently it had directions leading to the structure, but I was so busy driving I didn't even glance at it. I mean I think there was a small parking lot I passed by, but other than that there is just nowhere to pull over or stop. I only realized the directions were there after I was standing in line for tickets and needed something to read, lol.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-04-2006 at 08:01 PM.

I really liked the old parking lot (pre-DCA). In the early morning overcast coolness, a zen-like serenity settled over its acreage. Ahhhh.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast