Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Small Projects Team

Disney Scrapping Imagineering?

It seems like this must've been mentioned by now but I didn't see it.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...7/25/4475.aspx

I figured this would happen eventually.

Given WDI's poisonous corporate culture (Not to mention how free some Imagineers seem to be with money), Bob Iger has reportedly decided that it's time to make some pretty significant changes at 1401 Flower Street. Similar to those 650 jobs that will soon be cut at Walt Disney Studios as Iger radically revamps operations on that side of the Mouse House, rumors are now flying that Bob is looking to let 200-300 people go from Walt Disney Imagineering. Which would effectively gut this division of the company.
    "And what would happen after that?," you query. Well, according to what I've been hearing, Iger would leave only a few key executives & creatives in place at WDI. And these folks ... Well, they'd then have to rebuild Walt Disney Imagineering as more of a project-management-based operation. Where artists & designers would only be hired to work on a particular project and then let go as soon as their assignment was complete.
    Last edited by mattjbhs; 08-04-2006 at 01:08 PM.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Re: Disney Scrapping Imagineering?

Sounds like Eisner.....not good!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Small Projects Team

Personally, I'm somewhat thrilled since my Dad works in one of the smaller businesses around the valley along with other former imagineers and this could mean that Disney will be outsourcing to them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Oye.

What a discouragement to those who would genuinely bring creativity to the parks.

• Small Projects Team

Well, like I said, it will most likely be former imagineers doing all the same work, they'll just be working for different companies. According to the article, we will be seeing this happening around late August/early September. However, many imagineers will probably find it difficult to find work in the industry right away, I know it can be difficult if they don't know the right people.

• Banned User

They need to clean house at Imagineering. Starting with the removal of Don Goodman, Tom Fitzgerald, and anyone else who thinks attractions like "Stitch's great escape", "Winnie the pooh", "Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters", and DCA are acceptable.

• Animatronic

On the bright side, if they outsource everything, then fans can use the same sources and build their own Disney rides in their backyards!

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    They need to clean house at Imagineering. Starting with the removal of Don Goodman, Tom Fitzgerald, and anyone else who thinks attractions like "Stitch's great escape", "Winnie the pooh", "Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters", and DCA are acceptable.
    You when you put it in those terms I have no choice but to agree. Even though we like Buzz and LOVE DCA (California Screamin' is a GREAT ride), neither is particularly "Disney" nor shows WDI in the greatest light. Defiantly not the quality of work done by the WED Imagineers that built Disneyland.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• U. B. Bold

Sad if true. But I take everything Jim Hill says with a large grain of salt.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• FastPass n00b

Sounds good to me, WDI is beyond repair and getting rid of it to focus on the design aspect of things will be a huge leap forward. The entire reason for WED being formed is that no one had ever attempted what Walt was trying to do and they had to create a new field from scratch out of pure necessity...kind of like what George did for Star Wars. But nowadays, theme park designers are a dime a dozen and all you need to do is submit the plans and they'll do the rest.

It's not like WDI will be going away, they're job will simply change from internal development to more of a creative role of concept design. The rub, however, comes from the fact that they won't be able to be as innovative as they once were. Things like Indy, Star Tours and Space Mountain couldn't possibly have been designed by the standard theme park technology of the time. These rides created their own types of rides and I don't think WDI will have the power to innovate those types of things if someone else builds them.

Hopefully when the corporate politics of WDI are gone and every trace of Eisner is wiped out, we can get back to the WDI we enjoyed back in the 1980's and early 90's. But WDI really does need to wipe its slate clean for the time being...endless Pixar-based rides and shooting galleries are not innovations in theme park attractions.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-04-2006 at 08:06 AM.

• Minion

I'll take the wait and see approach.If WDI is wasting money (sounds a little fishy with the way the purse strings are held in check), then maybe you need to look at things.We have heard this out sourcing rumour of late anyway, so it is probably coming.I see it two ways:It could see a small group of talented people forced to work together, due to the small department size. They could develop a close knit, great working relationship, and really feed off each others collective gifts and energies!Yes, we will see a revolving cast of artists, but eventually Disney would choose their favorites, and would use them again and again. Somewhat putting a cohesive signature on the work. Sigh, it could happen...Or, The whole department just dries up, and they send send scouts out to theme parks and just copy everything from a catalog of "theme park rides".They have seen this does not work, thus having to rescue DCA, so lets just hope and pray!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Collision speed....FULL!

WDI is has a lot of projects going on and people coming in.Usually when a project is finished, some people go and some people go to the next project. My dad has worked there since January and he says things are getting better that Pixar has come on board.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Well like I said in the other thread, there is no point for Disney to pay employees they don't need.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I really think this is a bad idea. The way Jim Hill makes it sound it comes across to me that WDI could come up with the general concept, but the vast majority of the rest of the work in detail would be left to the third party.

• For You!

I keep seeing this and I'm thinking another disney scrapbooking thread!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast