Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Twelve Regular FastPasses In One Day - A Recent Experience

I made a recent day trip to DLR and on another board someone asked me how we got so many regular FastPasses (not the Enhanced kind which are easier to get). I decided to respond to the question with detailed explanation. And some people have an anti-AP bias, so for the record I am not an AP holder hogging FPs away from non-AP holders. We bought single day hopper tickets. In any case, I thought someone here might find our FastPass collecting that day of interest. So here is a copy of my post.

Sorry, in my effort to summarize I did not give details and thus confused you.

For regular guests using FP, you can get another FP set 40-120 minutes after you got your most recent FP. So on Aug 2 here is how we did FP (this is not a list of everything we did at DLR - just the things related to FP or will help one understand our schedule related to FP):

8AM - got Space Mtn FP (return window 8:40-9:40AM - next potential FP at 8:40AM) and then headed to Fantasyland

8:50AM - tried to get Splash Mtn FP, but the ride was down and when that happens they turn off FP machines. Decided to not lose the FP opportunity and headed to Indiana Jones to get a FP there

8:55AM - got Indiana Jones FP (return window 9:35-10:35AM - next potential FP at 9:35AM)

9:35AM - got Splash Mtn FP - the ride was back up (return window was about 10:30-11:30AM)

10:15AM - hopped into DCA - DL FP windows do not apply at DCA

10:20AM - got Soarin FP (return window 11:00AM-12:00PM - next potential FP at DCA at 11:00AM)

10:25AM - got Grizzly RR FP (this is disconnected from the DCA FP network and thus the next 11AM FP time did not apply - the return time for GRR FP was 11:05AM-12:05PM)

Rode Monsters Inc and then California Screamin thru standby and when we got off Screamin it was almost 11AM and I could get the next DCA FP at 11AM.

11AM - got California Screamin FP (for a second ride later - return window 11:40AM-12:40PM - next potential DCA FP at 11:40AM)

Rode Soarin with FP and had lunch.

11:55AM - rode California Screamin for 2nd time, this time using FP - although the standby line was not that long - maybe 15-20 minutes

12:00PM - got off California Screamin and got a second FP set for Screamin just in case we came back to DCA later that day - we were thinking about hopping back at 5PM for the Block Party Bash which we had never seen - return window was 12:45-1:45PM - next potential DCA FP at 12:45PM

12:05PM - rode GRR with FP

12:15PM - got second set of FPs for GRR for same reason as Screamin in case we came back - and once again could do this because GRR is disconnected

2PM - hopped back to DL

2:15PM - got Buzz Lightyear FP (return window 3:05-4:05PM - next potential FP at 3:05PM)

2:20PM - used Space Mtn FP from first thing this morning - standby line was 60 minutes - we waited 10

3:05PM - while DS13 held a seat for the 3:15 Parade of Dreams I got a second FP set for Space Mtn - return window 8:40-9:40PM - since the window was 5+ hours away (i.e., over 2 hours away), the 2 hour rule applied for next potential FP and hence I could get the next DL FP at 5:05PM

3:15PM - watched Parade

4PM - used Splash Mtn FP from early morning - standby line was 60 minutes - we waited 10

4:30PM - used Indiana Jones FP from early morning - standby line was 45 minutes - we waited 10

5PM - Hopped back to DCA to watch Block Party Bash in Sunshine Plaza

5:35PM - used second California Screamin FP set to ride Screamin for third time (I like this ride but once would have been enough for me - DS13 pushed for the second and third ride and we were able to work it in). The standby line was about 25-30 minutes if I remember right

5:55PM - used second GRR FP set to ride GRR for second time

6:10PM - hopped back to DL

6:15PM - could have gotten another DL FP set at 5:05PM if we were in the park, but we were at DCA. So now I got a second FP set for Buzz Lightyear even though we had not yet used the set I got at 2:15PM. The return window was 7:10-8:10PM. The next potential DL FP was at 7:10PM.

6:20 - had dinner

7PM - rode Buzz Lightyear using first set of FPs

7:15PM - rode Buzz Lightyear a second time using second set of FPs

7:30PM - went to Big Thunder Mtn RR to get a FP set (which we rode standby at 8:45AM with a 2 minute wait). BTMRR always has FPs available at this time of day, but the FP machines were turned off. I was so surprised by this that I asked the CM and at first he gave me the easy answer that BTMRR had run out of FPs for the day. When I responded that BTMRR never runs out of FPs at 7:30 in the evening he agreed and gave me the more complicated answer that someone had tampered with the BTMRR FP machines in some way and they had to close them down. The standby line was posted as 35 minutes so we decided to skip a second ride on BTMRR. If we were so inclined at this point we could have gone back to Buzz Lightyear and gotten a 3rd FP set there but we decided to call it quits for FP that day.

7:40PM - decided to give Splash Mtn another shot. We had already rode it once this afternoon with FP. The standby line was now 60 minutes and we did not have any Splash FPs. Since there were only the two of us today, we decided to do something I have never tried before which was use the Splash Mtn single rider line. This is where you agree to have your group split up when they need a single rider to fill a log. We went to the FP return line and asked for single rider passes of which we got two - one for each of us. We were directed to walk into Splash Mtn thru the exit and when we did this we were directed into a special single rider line where there were already two people. After a few minutes they were selected and then we lucked out big time when they needed two people quickly and did not have time to check the regular line for a group of two and told us to hurry to the front log. So we got to ride together after all and we waited about 5 minutes altogether.

8:30PM - found a spot to rest our tired bodies in the hub and waited for fireworks to start (55 minutes away) - could have still gotten a good spot at 9PM but we were not taking chances plus we were pretty tired

9:25PM - watched fireworks

9:50PM - used second set of Space Mtn FPs for a second ride

All in all we got on 22 rides and used 6 FP sets at DCA and 6 FP sets at DL, plus one single rider pass at DL Splash Mtn. And we would have had a 7th FP set at DL Big Thunder Mtn RR but they had to shut down the FP machines early. Plus we got to see two parades and one fireworks show.

The only times we truly hurried was first thing in the morning to get Space Mtn FPs and then to Fantasyland. And then we hurried when we hopped to DCA for the first time. I was planning to get to DCA to 10AM but we got stuck in the POTC line when the ride broke down when we were almost on the ride and this delayed us getting out of DL and into DCA. So we hurried from POTC to DCA. Other than that we just walked at a reasonable pace.

For everyone's info, my detailed FP advice is given here:

"Getting the Most Out of FastPass During High Season"
    http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Twelve Regular FastPasses In One Day - A Recent Experience

Wow.

I applaud your efficiency!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I have a feeling your post is going to help people plan for the Gumball rally.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Closed Account

Holy cow! With three kids and efficiency like the above aformentioned article, your home must be run like a Marine Corps boot camp!

Everyone....places now! Places!!!!!!

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
    Holy cow! With three kids and efficiency like the above aformentioned article, your home must be run like a Marine Corps boot camp!

I have to defend myself here!

The above experience was only with DS13 and myself and so we were pretty nimble with a group of two in good physical condition. When we take the whole crew - we did 10 days at WDW in June - we set a more relaxed pace and take 4-5 hour breaks in the afternoon.

As you are aware, some folks genuinely wonder how to go about collecting FPs. I am not encouraging others to follow my example in detail - just to be aware of what can be done when you pay attention to your return times. If it helps folks around here pick up a few extra FPs then I will have done my good deed for the day...

• Just this guy......

When fast pass is done right (as it was here), it's great!

• DisneylandDan

Good job. Fast pass works great esspecially when theres only 2 people. Even in the middle of summer my girlfriend and I got on everything we wanted because of our efficiency.

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

• Rock Star Minion

I applaud your ability to walk 12 miles!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep

You obviously have not toured with me and my better half. A colleague traveling with us pointed out that the invasion of Normandy was not as well prepared.

The concept of Type-A personality comes to mind.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thanks for your great post! I had no idea that DCA was on a different fast past system, or that GRR was not connected to the network.

But I do now.

• Defying gravity

Wow! As you can see by my avatar, I love FPs too!!!!!!! However, I usually use the FPs as soon as the window opens up. Therefore, the most FPs I have physically had at once is probably 4 or 5.

Everytime FP is available, I use it. My parents and I NEVER wait in stand by lines. FPs for Indy, Splash Mtn., Space Mtn., Autopia, Buzz - EVERTHING!!! I still don't understand why people stand by.

However, unlike your trip, we do ride attractions without FPs (dark rides, etc.)

I do admire your efficiency and am tempted to also collect that many FPs in one day.

A few years ago, we had unlimited FPs through AAA. We rode Indy 11 times that vacation. Those were the days......

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    However, unlike your trip, we do ride attractions without FPs (dark rides, etc.)
    Oh, we did Peter Pan, Mr. Toad and Alice in Wonderland first thing in the morning - plus Matterhorn. They were all 1-2 minute waits. And we did Monsters Inc and ITTBAB at DCA also. It was not all FastPass rides.

• just the beernecessities

I admire your organization and stamina. FP's are really the reson why I have returned to being a DLR fan. Back in the bad ol' days going to DL mean't just going to wait in long, long lines if you went during the Summer or Weekends or Holidays...so we wouldn't go at all. FP's have made all the difference. When I hear people complain about FP's and talk about getting rid of them I just think they must have rocks in their head instead of brains.

Some relatives from back East came by my house on Monday night for some Disneyland advice as they're going to the park today and tomorrow. My wife and I gave them the lowdown, but when they asked about FastPass, I printed out your post here (and the one you linked to on another board) and just let them read that.

On Saturday I'll likely get a report on how it all went.

• Premium Youngling and

Thats exhausting just reading it... Nice job though! I will have to try that next time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast