Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Cinderella's Castle: Should it be re-done?

While "our" Cinderella's Castle was the first, and is the flagship of Disneyland in California, it still pales in comparison to the castle's in Florida, Paris and Tokyo. In fact, I believe the only reason that Honk Kong DL's castle is a DL clone is that it allows for a better backdrop for the surrounding mountainside than the larger castles.

As outrageous as this might sound, is it possible that a complete makeover/re-do would be a good idea? Increase the size, look and amenities to bring it up to a more befitting castle? Would Walt have done this?

While I have great memories of the castle over the year's, I just feel that it might possibly be time to think about this. It could be so much better and much more prominent than it is now.

• Just this guy......

Re: Cinderella's Castle: Should it be re-done?

Minor point, but our castle is Sleeping Beauty's Castle, not Cinderella's.

• A New Kind Of Villain

I don't think it needs to be redone other than removing the 50th stuff after the summer. It's Aurora's castle, not Cinderella's, which is why it has a completely different look and feel to it. I especially love the nighttime lighting to the castle. The pinkish undertones make me sigh happily as I walk through the park late at night. I wouldn't want that to change at all.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4jc
    While "our" Cinderella's Castle was the first, and is the flagship of Disneyland in California,
    For the record, "ours" was not the first Cinderella Castle (unless you're talking about the one in Storybookland ).

Ours is Sleeping Beauty Castle.

All the other castles have to be bigger to make up for something.

I love the fact that a lot of multi-park icons are small and very personal in Disneyland. Makes everything feel closer and cozier.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako
    I don't think it needs to be redone other than removing the 50th stuff after the summer. It's Aurora's castle, not Cinderella's, which is why it has a completely different look and feel to it. I especially love the nighttime lighting to the castle. The pinkish undertones make me sigh happily as I walk through the park late at night. I wouldn't want that to change at all.
    Agree with you hands down. Why do we need a big ol Castle. Disneyland is not very big. If we got rid of Sleeping Beauty's castle and made a Cinderella clone, it would look hideous IMO. Everything else would look tiny next to it.

It's fine the way it is!

• Man of Logic and Reason

If you were to make ours bigger it would dwarf the Matterhorn and ruin the scale of the entire park. Big mistake. And Sleeping Beauty Castle rocks all of the other castles, even it's clone in Hong Kong (don't ask me how that's possible).

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Disneyland is home to Sleeping Beauty Castle. No possesive. Same goes for Cinderella Castle.

There's one problem with building a larger castle: the rest of the park. Everything is set at the smaller scale that you see in the castle. A larger castle would literally destroy the look of the rest of the park.

Disneyland's castle is scaled down and matches Main Street's scaled down "forced-perpective" look.

Many feel this is most desireable as it gives Disneyland a rather charming toy-like feel to it.

I personally prefer this (and Hong Kong's) to the full scale versions in Florida and Tokyo.

My favorite Disney castle is sort of a hybrid of both...Disneyland Paris' Sleeping Beauty Castle. It's a great mix of size, scale, color, landscaping, and storybook fantasy, IMHO.

My heart will always be with Anaheim's castle. But I have to say Paris has the finest all-around, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    My favorite Disney castle is sort of a hybrid of both...Disneyland Paris' Sleeping Beauty Castle. It's a great mix of size, scale, color, landscaping, and storybook fantasy, IMHO.
    Isn't the one in Paris belong to Beauty & the Beast?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako
    My sentiments exactly!
    Mike

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

It may seem that way, because the name in french features the name "Belle," but that is merely the french translation of "beauty."

It's Sleeping Beauty Castle in Paris.

Plus, if this was done, what would happen to the Fantasyland buildings? They would need to be demolished to make room for the castle and they would need to get rid of the walkways around the castle to make it bigger, thus reducing capacity. Everything in Disneyland is very small and having a massive castle would just skew things out of whack. (Like the others have said)

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    Isn't the one in Paris belong to Beauty & the Beast?
    Heck no!

It's Sleeping Beauty Castle, or "Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant" if you prefer it's proper title over there.

Perhaps the French language use of "Belle" in there threw you off?

It's Sleeping Beauty all the way...right down to the Eyvind Earle inspired square trees!

The reason Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle doesn't much resemble the one in the movie is because when they were designing it in 1954 and finally had to set the plans in cement...they had yet to approve the design for the one to be featured in the film. You see...Disney's movie of Sleeping Beauty wasn't released until 1959...four years after Disneyland opened!

Sort of like "It's Tough To Be A Bug" attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom. It opened before the film was actually completed, and features a few characters that got "cut" from the film.

Ah...I was just going by how it looked. Didn't know the name of it.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast