Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Re: Why Does Everybody Hate The Pooh Ride?!

I don't hate it. On the other hand it's not a great ride either. It seems to me it was just made as cheaply as could be. More like a carnival ride than a ride that should be at DL.
    Mike

• For You!

If you think it's carnival quality - you obviously haven't been to a carnival lately! It has the same type of characters as PeterPan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Roger Rabbit (and better ones than Mr. Toad). So, if you don't like Winnie the Pooh, you have to complain about the other rides. I think it was made in classic disneyland style. I'm sorry it took away Country Bears, but they could pop up elsewhere. And I never remember the Country Bear theater being full either.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Gay Man

If you've been on Tokyo's Pooh and saw what a great ride we couldn've had, you'd hate it too. Compared to Tokyo, DL's Pooh IS a carnival ride. They just missed out on a great opportunity for a wonderful ride when they built Pooh.

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1
    I don't hate it. On the other hand it's not a great ride either. It seems to me it was just made as cheaply as could be. More like a carnival ride than a ride that should be at DL.
    you must have some nice carnivals o_o anything we get up here is flatrides last time I saw a sudo darkride it was almost like walking up to one scene that was completly flat and then turning and looking at another and there weren't even walls seperating the scenes for the most part you could look out and see the whole thing

I normaly don't care much for Pooh but my g/f likes the characters alot

when I took her to DL for her first time this summer Pooh almost ended up being the ride we rode the most (mostly because we kept ending up in that corner of the park for one reason or another and Pooh always had the shortest line)

she actualy thought the Pooh darkride was pretty cool and it was one of her favorates, the only other darkride we rode almost as much was Buzz (boy I really should do a trip report on this stuff)

• Banned User

The only reason i like the pooh ride is...

To take photos
    To look at the CBJ tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    I have noticed a lot of threads that have people saying that Pooh is the worst ride in the park. Why do you hate it so much? Just because it replaced a classic? Just because it's not "new technology"? Just because Eisner was in charge? Just because you didn't like Pooh in the first place?
    Those are good reasons to start with.
    Although Pooh is 'one of the family', he belongs in Fantasyland, not Critter or Bear Country.
    CBJ was entertaining; Pooh is not.
    An E ticket attraction was replaced with a C ticket attraction, thereby, cheapening the area. (There goes the property values and the neighborhood...)
    It may be true, CBJ had to go. The lack of a waiting line proved that; but if it has to go, best yourself...put something worthwhile. Walt took out the Viewliner and replaced it with the Monorail. He took out the Midget Autopia and put in "It's A Small World". It would be like taking out Lincoln and replacing it with the Main Street Cinema.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

I've been on Tokyo's incredible Pooh attraction. No question that that's a fantastic experience. But it's also a different "Ticket." A different class of attraction. Not every attraction built is an "E-Ticket."

As a traditional and simple Disneyland "Dark Ride"...I don't have a problem with Anaheim's Winnie The Pooh attraction. I think it's of the same high quality and experience level (or better) as any of the other "C Ticket" Fantasyland dark rides.

I think that a lot of resistance to the attraction here on this board comes from three main things which I like to call the "Shut Out, Short Changed, and Strange Site" theory:

1. It "shut out" Country Bears, which was very popular with some folks.

2. Many expected a "Wow" E-Ticket attraction like Tokyo's (or perhaps at least a "D Ticket") and feel short changed.

3. I think that many folks unconsciously associate this type of dark ride with being only in Fantasyland (and it's Toon Town extension). And outside of those areas...they subconsciously don't think they "belong" and are in a strange site for that type of attraction.

But the fact is that it was never meant to be anything other than a simple "C Ticket" attraction at Disneyland. It was never meant to be Tokyo's.

But as a "C Ticket" type attraction...I think it's just great, and matches or exceeds similar over in Fantasyland.

Edited to add: Look at that! Brer Bear and I were writing much of the same opinion at the same time!
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 08-05-2006 at 10:55 AM.

I love Winnie the Pooh, always have, my kids nursery was done in classic Pooh, so I'm sure I'm biased in thinking that Pooh is the best dark ride at DL. However I also know that my 10 year old daughter and my 8 year old son loved the Winnie the Pooh ride, they went on it multiple times while the rest of us went on SM. We didn't ever venture into the sweet shop there, but after hearing about all the yummy stuff that is there, you can bet we will be visiting it in November!
    Michelle

• People move me

Its an ok ride IMO but it does irk me that it replaced Country Bears. Kinda like desicrating an indian burial ground...
    Dont be frightend, I'm just a friendly Monster....

• CM for 4 years!

I hate Pooh because it replaced one of my all-time favorite attractions.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Minion

Walt Disney's "Winnie-the-Pooh and the Honey Tree" and "Winnie-the-Pooh and the Blustery Day" are classic, wonderful, rich and evocate animated films, and both a seminal viewing experience for me as a child of the 60's.

They are so far superior to the cheap and tacky little ride that was stuck-in there it's impossible to compare. The ride has none of the visual charm, whimsy and beauty of those films. The hideous design of the Heffalumps and Woozles room is worthy of Videopolis, not Pooh - - why not make it look cool like the film?

As a ride, there is even more to disappoint - - no full motion animatronics (how cute would that have been?), poor storyline, cheap effects and ugly design, short run time, no surprises or modern technological thrill or illusion.

Third, a better version had already been designed for Tokyo and they were too cheap to do it that way - total cynicism on the part of the investors - - and it backfired.

Plus they had the nerve to take out a beautifully designed Marc Davis classic, the Bear Jamboree, to put this cheap excuse for a store in - - and spent too much money doing it to boot!

Plus it belongs in Fantasyland, not in the American wilderness so it spoils Disneyland too.

It's a failure on every count, compared to what it SHOULD have been and what was possible. A total disappointment in every way.

Shame on them, for Pooh, the Bears, the guests, Marc, Walt and every other honest Disney idea or image betrayed by the cynicism of those who designed, funded and built that ride as is.

I'll bet your kids would have liked a GOOD Pooh ride even better. Why settle for less? I say UPGRADE the thing with some real show elements or put back the Bears.

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    I've been on Tokyo's incredible Pooh attraction. No question that that's a fantastic experience. But it's also a different "Ticket." A different class of attraction. Not every attraction built is an "E-Ticket."

As a traditional and simple Disneyland "Dark Ride"...I don't have a problem with Anaheim's Winnie The Pooh attraction. I think it's of the same high quality and experience level (or better) as any of the other "C Ticket" Fantasyland dark rides.

I think that a lot of resistance to the attraction here on this board comes from three main things which I like to call the "Shut Out, Short Changed, and Strange Site" theory:

1. It "shut out" Country Bears, which was very popular with some folks.

2. Many expected a "Wow" E-Ticket attraction like Tokyo's (or perhaps at least a "D Ticket") and feel short changed.

3. I think that many folks unconsciously associate this type of dark ride with being only in Fantasyland (and it's Toon Town extension). And outside of those areas...they subconsciously don't think they "belong" and are in a strange site for that type of attraction.

But the fact is that it was never meant to be anything other than a simple "C Ticket" attraction at Disneyland. It was never meant to be Tokyo's.

But as a "C Ticket" type attraction...I think it's just great, and matches or exceeds similar over in Fantasyland.

Edited to add: Look at that! Brer Bear and I were writing much of the same opinion at the same time!
    Exactly! Very well put.

• I met Walt Disney!

I agree with what I am reading. Country Bears was such a classic attraction! On a recent trip to WDW, I think I saw it four times. It makes me sick to see Disney getting rid of great attractions, like CBJ, America Sings, etc., to replace them with something inferior. If they are going to change something, make it be for the better, like replacing Superstar Limo with Monsters Inc.

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

I really like this ride! I love the psychedelic, surrealistic scenes (I also love Elephants on Parade).

Fluffy Club Member

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    I have noticed a lot of threads that have people saying that Pooh is the worst ride in the park. Why do you hate it so much? Just because it replaced a classic? Just because it's not "new technology"? Just because Eisner was in charge? Just because you didn't like Pooh in the first place? I may be the only one but my self and the rest of my family thinks it's one of the best dark rides Disneyland has IMO. Why?

-Since it's pretty new the ride has nice bright colors.

-Neat effects like:

-The rain, looks really neat, along with the Water falls
    -Even though WDW has had it along time, I like the "floating" vehicles system, (like IJA), instead of a just a vehicle going along the track.
    -Theres's alot of projections that other rides don't have like the swirling honey pot and Pooh "dreaming away"
    -and there's the Pepper's ghost effect, where Pooh dreams away.

-The ride has nice transistions between scenes, instead of just opening a door to the next scene. Your in a windy a place, then it starts to rain, so you have to go in Pooh's house to stay dry, but Pooh has fallen a sleep and you get caught in his dream, ect..., ect...

- And the ride has 3-D figures instead of plywood flats like some of the other rides.

I think most of you think of the ride as something that took out a classic, and they put in something you hate, and not think of the ride itself. It may not be as high tech as indy or the next POTC, but I like the ride.

Everything DCA haters say about DCA is how I feel about Poop's Acid Adventure. Done on the cheap, replaces something beloved with trash, it's a step down from what was there and effectively kills that section of the park, rendering it useless. We don't really care for Splash Mountain (it's just not worth the wait times...some days even with fastpasses) and having nothing else but Poop in BEAR COUNTRY gets you a thousand strollers in a dead ended area of the park.

Poop should have gone into Toon Town where he'd have made more sense.

The Evil Eisner, that vile Harriss woman and her pet flying monkey Pressler should be locked in stocks, publicly ridiculed and have garbage thrown at them by passing crowds for taking out the Country Bear Jamboree. Then they should be forced to ride Poop till they go bat shyte crazy and die for replacing the Bears with that wimpy limey poofta of a little b "Bear".

your mileage may vary
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast