Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Re: Why Does Everybody Hate The Pooh Ride?!

I think my favorite thing about DLR's, or any other, Pooh ride is the myriad of jokes it lends itself to.

I love to get off of the ride and say "I just rode POOh." and giggle to myself
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

There are just so many reasons abound and I'll be sounding redundant at times, but the main issues I see are:
    For the insane amount of money they put into the ride (including construction, planning, and then ride) [which was somewhere around a reported $30 million], it doesn't live up to any of the following titles: "Disney" "attraction" "somewhat C-ticket" "worthy of FASTPASS" "Many Adventures".

Why? Issues with plot, theme, creators, former attractions. It seems reasons are abound (so take your pick), I'm just saying why I dislike the ride...

Compared to other dark rides based on films (excluding those which influence films), the plot is semi or fully incomprehensible. What happens during the ride? I've seen the film "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" which is a basically a collection of three animated shorts. Even if they had just chose one plot it still would have been a fairly good ride, but instead they chose to mush them together so I can't tell which is which.

I wouldn't blame the imagineers or creators, as they were working during an era of follies..one being the original Pooh ride plan (not the 1976 concept, but late 90s concept) What was planned, even before the War out East between the Toad and Bear. There was plans for what appears to be a worthy and exciting successor for the Country Bear Jamboree, as much I would have been upset to see it leave.

However because of a fit, not more-so with the head honcho as some believe, but the one in the local position. (She who has fallen into the Gap). We were left with this...

(Sorry, this is the only picture I could find of the craziness (or no pictures of the 2 minute wait on the busy days).

I think people also long too much for nostalgia or old ways. I mean the Country Bears was one of the very last projects of Walt Disney. Maybe some didn't truly enjoy it (It's like the Tiki Room with Bears in the Country, It was old, or I hate bears because they are godless killing machines). However because it was different, people didn't want to see it replaced with another off the shelf ride, one that had been done before. So people have a reason to be upset. It lacks charm, theming, and new ideas. It could have been based on any other Fantasyland dark ride plans with different plywood figures, music, and paint. I don't know, but I was not impressed with what they touted as so great.

I like the Pooh ride. There's never a line (I think if it was located in Fantasyland, perhaps there might be a line) and it's a nice cool ride to ride on a hot summer day. Especially after getting off Splash with wet clothes--the Pooh ride cools you down going through the blustery day part.

I think a lot people stumble upon it after getting off of Splash Mountain, so maybe a lot of parents with really small children (too short to ride Splash) don't venture back to Critter Country. And even though I realize it replaced a better attraction, the last few times I visited the Country Bear Jamboree, I sat in a pretty empty theater.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmielsen
    And even though I realize it replaced a better attraction, the last few times I visited the Country Bear Jamboree, I sat in a pretty empty theater.
    That may be a reason why it was shut down.

• Banned User

This is a load of hooey: "Disneyland lives by the AP, we are the litmus test for if an attraction is good quality or not."

That's exactly the type of attitude that makes people, both other park goers and cast members, despise certain AP holders.

I find the ride in Disneyland to be superior to the version in Walt Disney World. The natural setting in which the Disneyland ride is located give it an intimacy and charm utterly lacking in the WDW version.

Of course the version in Tokyo Disneyland is going to be far superior ... they spent $100 million! Comparing it to the version in Disneyland is pointless because the parks are owned by two different companies.

• ...TWO BITS!

My friend went to DLR yesterday and said the line for Pooh was long. The group he was with didn't want to go on it, but my friend didn't want to go because he didn't like the story.

Okay, few questions just came up while reading this thread:

1) When you say the story/plot is incomprehensive. Are you talking about all 3 Poohs or just DLR's. Cause they all seem pretty similar to me. DLR: Blustry day, flood/rain, Tigger bounce(?), Pooh sleep, H&W, Honey, waking up, b-day. WDW: blustry day, Tigger bounce, Pooh sleep, H&W, wake up, party, honey tree. TDL: Blustry day, Tigger bounce, Pooh sleep, H&W, wake up, honey tree, painted celebration.

2) At DLR, wasn't the motor boat cruise ALREADY CLOSED?? I think CBJ was closed 2001 and opened 2003. Even though CBJ played to empty crowds, were they still playing with 2 or 1 theaters?? I mean, when it's empty, do they still play with 2 theaters or just 1.

3) So Fantasyland could've had it's every own 100 acre woods the winds under the monorail tracks. But could TDL's version fit in MBC?? The roof of the attraction building could've just had bushes for monorail riders to look at. And we could have still had the outdoor queue & load station. Then we'd still end up with Pooh and CBJ, but I can still see why they'd take CBJ. And then probably have a sort of motor boat cruise for Toontown's lagoon themed as "Tugboat Donald"

4) Aren't the DLR pooh figures the same as WDW's yet people are complainin about DLR's??
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 08-07-2006 at 02:46 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara

Of course the version in Tokyo Disneyland is going to be far superior ... they spent $100 million! .
    Japan invested alot more money in their ride.

• On Autopilot

I happened to like the pooh ride alot more than a few of the other dark rides, but it's nothing compared to Peter Pan's flight.....

But then again, I happen to like alot of the garbage o_O

Gives me vertigo.

• On Autopilot

O_o how is that possible? o.o;;;;;;;

I can see that it can make you dizzy.... but or, is vertigo being afraid of heights or something? (I always think of the movie)

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    Japan invested alot more money in their ride.

Obviously, and it shows, even on crummy YouTube videos.

After seeing the Hunny Hunt video all I want to do is go to the TDR, ride Pooh, try Sea Salt icecream and Curry Popcorn. Paris just slipped on my Disney list.

TDL - Pooh's Hunny Hunt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DypUA6_UV4A

TDR - Pooh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m8Qsqwaiqs
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Country Bears are definitely missed during heat waves like DL has had during the past couple of summers, and rainy days which were plentiful last year. Changing it from an indoor show area with a nice 20 minute plus of enjoyable entertainment (and air conditioning/dryness during hot afternoons/rainy days) to a 2 minute ride thru, BLECH!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678