Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• U. B. Bold

Question Event Overload: Too much going on at DLR?

I don't get to Disneyland near as often as I would like. Maybe once or twice a year at best. On our recent trip we only had one day to "do it all" and that was nowhere near enough time. Our next visit will be at least two days.

On the long drive back home I got to thinking that maybe there was just too much going on at Disneyland these days. I'm not talking about rides and attractions or even the mind-boggling number of stage shows and character meet and greets throughout the park. These all have their own venues that they are more or less confined too. No, I'm talking about the really big events that use most or all of the park as their stage: Remember, Parade of Dreams and Fantasmic!

Has it gotten to a point where these big events are just too disruptive to the regular flow of the park? Consider this schedule from 8/1/06:

Parade of Dreams: 3:15 & 7:00 pm
    Remember Fireworks: 9:25 pm
    Fantasmic!: 9:00 & 10:30 pm

On paper this doesn't look so bad, but on a very busy day in the park it creates guest gridlock from about 3:00 pm on. In the past we had just the two daily parades and the fireworks show in the Summer months and you could enjoy the fireworks from just about anywhere in the park.

Parade of Dreams: is a nice parade, but the stops are too long and this leads to guests being trapped on one side of the park or the other or being herded about by friendly but firm CMs. No one likes being herded for too long.

Remember: is amazing, but everyone knows that you really need to be at the Hub to fully appreciate it. This fact has actually led to violence on more than one occasion and the brave, overworked and underpaid CMs assigned to crowd control have all that they can do just to keep the herds of humanity from turning into a riot on some nights.

Fantasmic! is a wonderful show but two performances a night makes that entire side of the park almost inaccessible for those wishing to visit attractions there anytime after 8:30 pm.

And forget about using the Disneyland RR for transportation during these times. During our visit it was a 45 minute wait for a train that had room for us.

My point is that all of this carefully orchestrated spectacle has squeezed a lot of the magic out of the Disneyland experience. The shows are wonderful but when does it become too much of a good thing? The concentrated crowds, the gridlock and the herding now make it necessary to plan your visit like a military campaign, with precise time tables and strategies for being at this place at this time... or else.

For me a big part of the Disneyland magic has always been an escape from the timetables and pressures of the outside world. When a visit becomes all about maximizing your entertainment time a lot of that magic is lost.

My hope is that after the hoopla of the 50th is over, management will scale back the Big Events so that we will all once again be able to enjoy the park at a more leisurely pace. Spectacle is great, but not if you can't see the magic for the pixie dust.

Your thoughts?
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• My cuties!

Re: Event Overload: Too much going on at DLR?

I really don't think you can do Disneyland in just one day now. That is how we did it growing up in the 70s, though. We'd drive up from my grandparents' house in San Diego and be there from open to close.

• Grumpy old man

You bring a very good point, while I didn't encounter this problem when I went (Fantasmic wasn't playing), the amount of huge events that require a "spot" does seem to cause a lot of problems. While Remember and PoD is amazing, they do kind of tarnish themselves with the gridlock they cause.

And yeah, you can't do DL in one day, it's just bound to be stressful.

• Lost in Wonderland

BigThunder you wrote a very interesting post. I agree, especially for the guests who have already experienced any of the above "shows/parades" and want to do rides, it sure does make it hard for them to move about.

I don't know if I'm the only one who noticed, but perhaps since they are taking out the Fantasyland Theatre, they are trying to add more parades/shows instead?

• Newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by adormouse
    BigThunder you wrote a very interesting post. I agree, especially for the guests who have already experienced any of the above "shows/parades" and want to do rides, it sure does make it hard for them to move about.
    That was one great thing about the Skyway. You could sail over the parade and get to the other side of the park.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Hooterville, USA

Too much to do? No. Too much for one day? Absolutely! But that's what Disney wants. Now that they're a resort, they want you there for a week.
    They want your money to stay in Anaheim and not at Knott's or Magic Mountain. The real problem is that DCA doesn't pull enough guests their way to alleviate some of the congestion. In fact, the cross-over from DCA
    to DL adds even more congestion when the fireworks are about to begin.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• U. B. Bold

My point was not that there is too much to do in one day, that's a given. My issue is the traffic problems caused by too many huge events going on in the afternoon/evening hours that make it next to impossible to navigate the park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom
    I really don't think you can do Disneyland in just one day now. That is how we did it growing up in the 70s, though. We'd drive up from my grandparents' house in San Diego and be there from open to close.
    Back in the dark ages (60's and 70's) we had 1 parade, that might go 2x a day. There was also a fireworks show that would be seen from whereever you were in the park. But, there were also all the Friday and Saturday night dance parties. Disneyland was easy to do in 1 day. Now, there are a lot of large events. To me, with the exception of 10pm, the park isn't that hard to navigate. You follow the directions of the CMs, and it may take you a few minutes longer, but you can get around the park.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

I love going for several days, and I love all the entertainment also!
    Even back in the sixties and seventies they had huge traffic jams at certain times, I know, I was caught in many.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

thats how they draw you back to the park, so you can do it all. The park isn't mean to be done in one day.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Neep meep beep

I have to disagree that Fantasmic is a show that uses "most or all of the park as its stage". It's possible to see most of the park without Fantasmic being a problem at all, and even cross back and forth behind Fantasmic without a problem.

So, let me get this straight -- you want to take away the evening entertainment because you feel it makes it too hard to get around at night?

Wouldn't Disney want people to stay in the park even if they're tired from a long day of riding rides (or increase capacity by having dedicated riders in rides while others are watching entertainment)?

The parade has been travelling the same route for years, and parades are part of Disney's history. I don't think it's been a problem.

Same for the fireworks - people have gathered in front of the castle to see Tinkerbell, or the fireworks show, from that vantage point for decades, and Fantasmic has just as loyal a following.

If you're soliciting opinions, I have one -- I don't agree with your plan to minimize or get rid of the evening entertainment. I enjoy the parade and fireworks every time I go, believe it or not.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    I have to disagree that Fantasmic is a show that uses "most or all of the park as its stage". It's possible to see most of the park without Fantasmic being a problem at all, and even cross back and forth behind Fantasmic without a problem.
    I have to agree with Frogberto. Actually, one of the easiest times to ride POTC, followed by HM and Splash is while Fantasmic! is going on. Now, at 9:45pm, following the fireworks, leaving or entering Adventureland/Frontierland becomes impossible for about 15-20 mins. But otherwise, it all depends on how well you know the area and pay attention to the Cms directing you. Yes, it is harder with small children, but with teens and older, we simply make sure everyone knows where we are going next. and we meet there.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• U. B. Bold

I guess I wasn't very clear in my original post. I am not complaining that there is too much to do in a single day, nor am I suggesting that evening entertainment be done away with. My family and I loved the parade, the fireworks and Fantasmic!

All I'm saying is that much of the guest gridlock could be solved by a shorter parade (with fewer stops), one Fantasmic show a night and a fireworks show that can be enjoyed from anywhere in the park.

• done

I dispute your "everyone knows that you really need to be at the Hub to fully appreciate it" comment about Remember. Yes, the Main Street area is the best place to experience it because then you get all the effects, but the view from the Rivers of America and even Small World is good for most of the show. Everyone there seems to appreciate the show pretty much.

And yes, during Fantasmic times is the best time to go on Pirates and Mansion, as long as you follow directions on where to go or know how to do it yourself. Two Fantasmics a night means that there are a lot fewer people on other rides at that times. It might make a "gridlock" in one particular section of NOS, but it's sure a people-eater away from everything else in the park.

• Closed Account

It is entirely possible to do everything in one day...as long as you know what order to hit things. You can do all the rides you want + parade + fireworks + fantasmic if you're a pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast