• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Summer at Disneyland Resort

Has anyone got any helpful tips for visiting Disneyland & Disney's California Adventure during the hot and busy Summer months.

Where's the least crowded and shaded place to enjoy the parades?

Whats the best time of the day to ride Splash Mountain & Grizzly River Run?(Talking of Splash anyone got the latest news on whats going on with the Logs)

How long in advance should I turn up at the shows like Fantasmic and the fireworks?

Which way around the parks should I work in order to avoid the crowds?

Whats the best time to enjoy meals?

What sort of treats do you guys enjoy at the parks in order to cool down?

Any other info or advice would be greatly apreciated.I've visited Disneyland on a number of times,but never during the peak season,so any advice you guys can give me about the Summer would be cool,thanks.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin
    Has anyone got any helpful tips for visiting Disneyland & Disney's California Adventure during the hot and busy Summer months.
    Weekdays!!!

Show up at the gate at least 15 minutes before official DL opening. Collect as many FastPasses as possible early in the day (they enforce the start time, but not the end time). Ride as many of the rides that will have a long line later in the day, but don't have FastPass (Peter Pan, Dumbo, Matterhorn, tea cups, Alice. Toad)

About noon, the crowds will start to build. This is the time of day to use FastPasses and to see the shows and to do rides that rarely have a long wait (HISTA, Pooh, Small World, Star Tours, Jungle Cruise, Mansion, Pirates).

About 2-3 DL will be at peak capacity for the day. Time to grap a spot for the afternnon parade or to head to DCA.

I enjoy watching from the curb on Main Street, though not too shady there. The hub has more shade, but can get really crowded with last minute people showing up and standing in front of you.

Whats the best time of the day to ride Splash Mountain & Grizzly River Run?(Talking of Splash anyone got the latest news on whats going on with the Logs)
    For Splash, I never get that wet so just about any time of day is okay.... Just make sure you get your FastPass EARLY!!!! They go quickly!

GRR you can get totally soaked... Noon to 4PM is the best time... also the most crowded time.

How long in advance should I turn up at the shows like Fantasmic and the fireworks?
    Are you going to be there multiple nights? For Fantasmic! (assuming more than one showing), I like to show up at the Rivers just as fireworks start. As soon as Fireworks end, EVERYONE gets up and leaves, and I zoom in and get a front-row, center spot for the second showing with only about an hour wait.

If you want front row center for first showing, you'll be waiting at least 3-4 hours to stake out a top spot... no thank you.

New fireworks, so I don't think anyone can say how early you'll have to show up.... At least an hour, but then hundreds of people are going to cram in all around you at the last minute anyway.

Which way around the parks should I work in order to avoid the crowds?
    This is like asking "Where in the ocean can I go to avoid getting wet".

No such thing. You're not going to avoid crowds. You can avoid waiting in long lines by arriving early, hording fastpasses, etc.... But your going to be cattle in a feed lot starting about 3-4 hours after the park opens until after fireworks.

Whats the best time to enjoy meals?
    Personally, I eat a reasonable breakfast, light snack about 10:00-11:00, BIG lunch about 2:00 or 3:00, heavier snack about 7:00-8:00.

What sort of treats do you guys enjoy at the parks in order to cool down?
    Ice cream... Anyplace that serves fountain drinks will give you a free glass of ice water.

• Minion

We have gone in summer every year for years.
    It is very important to stay in the immediate vicinity.
    We stay right across the street from the main entrance.
    Get in line an hour early, bring your muffin and fruit and coffee.
    The morning is your friend! get as much done then as you plan each day.
    Have lunch, go back to your room and rest, swim, shower.
    Go back in the evening refreshed. Summer can be the best if done right. You have to give yourself several days, no less than three. DCA in the morning, and evening as well, there is no escape from the heat there. At Disneyland, you can do lots of things even in the heat of the day. You have the benefit of everything being up and running, maximum entertainment, and extended hours of operation. Do all those hot weather things, hats, sunscreen, lots of water.

• Banned User

What's all this talk abut heat?!?!

It doens't get above... what?.... 90ish. Heck, that's our April average temperature.

When it breaks 110-115, then we can talk about heat.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    What's all this talk abut heat?!?!

It doens't get above... what?.... 90ish. Heck, that's our April average temperature.

When it breaks 110-115, then we can talk about heat.
    Well yeah, your talking Scottsdale heat, not Anaheim heat!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Hey- I have expereinced both- Anaheim does NOT get hot- even the little bit of humidity doesn't count. Arizona gets its whole category of heat- I lived there my whole life!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Whats the best time of the day to ride Splash Mountain & Grizzly River Run?(Talking of Splash anyone got the latest news on whats going on with the Logs)How long in advance should I turn up at the shows like Fantasmic and the fireworks?Which way around the parks should I work in order to avoid the crowds?Whats the best time to enjoy meals?What sort of treats do you guys enjoy at the parks in order to cool down?Any other info or advice would be greatly apreciated.I've visited Disneyland on a number of times,but never during the peak season,so any advice you guys can give me about the Summer would be cool,thanks.
    Take one of those water packs where you can mist yourself with water, they look silly, but hell, you'll feel better under that hot sun Get fast passes for Splash Mountain and the Grizzly River Run, or go on it during the evening. I'd say start waiting and hour and a half to 2 hours for fantasmic, I havent seen it in a long time, but 2 hours sounds like enough time. Work your way around the park by going through fantasyland first, cause crazy enough, the lines for those rides is just insane! then go and work your way towards tomorrowland, then the others. The best time to enjoy meals is eating before or after the typical lunch and dinner times when crowds have slowed down. Have fun !

• Junior Senior

I've found that if you're at all prone to headaches, it's a great idea to avail yourself of the services of First Aid on a hot summer day - they'll hook you up with free painkillers and the water is icy cold.

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    Hey- I have expereinced both- Anaheim does NOT get hot- even the little bit of humidity doesn't count. Arizona gets its whole category of heat- I lived there my whole life!
    Curious, another similarity. Lived in phoenix for 23 odd years before moving to California. Phoenix was HOT. Worked briefly in Florida for WDW for a summer. Not as hot, but you felt it- trust me, alot those custodial at WDW are just wandering around in a heatstroke induced haze, don't be suprised if they aren't always coherent.
    So far, Anaheim is donwright chilly, all the time! It's bothersome, too rainy too.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by crinklebat
    I've found that if you're at all prone to headaches, it's a great idea to avail yourself of the services of First Aid on a hot summer day - they'll hook you up with free painkillers and the water is icy cold.
    THEY WILL?

I've always bemoaned the days when I forgot to refill my mint tin with extra excedrin and found myself with a nasty headache. :\

Now I know just where to go!

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Anaheim has nothing on Florida's rains...it's been a crappy winter in California, but the lack of rain in the summer will make up for that
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!