Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• FastPass n00b

Gadget's Go Coaster is no joke

I have always looked at ToonTown as not being a part of Disneyland, more like a "backstage" playground for tiny kids. So when I went on Gadget's Go Coaster for the first time in my life, I was literally laughing at the thing. It was so short and so small, and they only have one train for the entire thing! The part that really struck me as funny though was that the "chain" lift was a bunch of tires that propelled a long strip of metal underneath the cars to move it up the hill. Although it scared the heck out of my just to look at it in 1993, I took it to be a joke in recent years.

Well I can tell you guys, this thing is WAY more intense than it looks. For one thing, the wiseass grin I was wearing quickly turned to slight panic as we *launched* out of the station. Now, this wasn't California Screamin' by any measure, but it does give you a fairly good jolt starting out. Then it wisks you up the tire-powered hill really quickly before you can even catch your breath. And before you even realize what's happening, you get some really intense g forces and come within a few feet of scenery and people. It's a lot like one of those "wild mouse" coasters where it uses its small size to do extreme turns and banks to create huge g forces. But it wasn't just that, the thing really does feel like it goes just as fast as any other coaster 5 times its size.

The main advantage to this coaster is purely psychological. I'm sure it wasn't as fast as I thought, but looking at it you're thinking, "This has GOT to be a joke" and you're just not prepared for the fair amount of intensity this ride packs. I mean, when you see Viper or Goliath at Magic Mountain, you KNOW you're in for some extreme forces and prepare your mind accordingly, but when you see a rollercoaster powered by Michelins and has drops that you can practically jump up to touch, you just aren't mentally prepared for what the ride can do.

Also, I find it quite amusing that it's themed after Rescue Rangers. Thankfully they didn't put much more reference to Gadget other than her name, because I'd be utterly shocked if I saw one kid who knew what the Rescue Rangers are today.

• Neep meep beep

Re: Gadget's Go Coaster is no joke

Thanks. I went on this a couple of times a few weeks ago during a fairly empty Toon Town morning, and was slightly impressed, although it's really not worth the long wait in line.

The long line is what is serious about this coaster. For my money, Mulholland Madness at DCA is a longer ride, better designed coaster, and has a single rider line (and fastpass) - all things that leave Gadget's Go Coaster missing the mark.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    Thanks. I went on this a couple of times a few weeks ago during a fairly empty Toon Town morning, and was slightly impressed, although it's really not worth the long wait in line.

The long line is what is serious about this coaster. For my money, Mulholland Madness at DCA is a longer ride, better designed coaster, and has a single rider line (and fastpass) - all things that leave Gadget's Go Coaster missing the mark.
    You're definitely right. I would not wait more than 15 minutes for this ride (the ride is actually around 30 seconds or so). The trouble is that because it's only one train, the line moves painfully slow so it can take an hour for even a moderately long line. For 30 seconds of a fairly average ride, that's just not worth it. This is definitely a "ride if no one else is in line" type of ride.

I had a great time on Mulholland Madness. I got in the Highway Patrol car with my 11-year old cousin and we were acting so goofy, making siren sounds, faking like we were making a U-turn, and yelling for people to pull over, lol. No one could hear us, thank goodness, but it was a blast! DCA is just raw, untainted fun...it's a lot different than Disneyland's fantasy-style fun which is what I love so much about DCA, it's just a totally different type of a good time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I was always under the impression that the cars in the train we really small. Do you think a 6'3 person would be comfortable riding this?

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

I don't go for this ride anymore and I am amazed that lines for it still reach an hour long. One idea to help capacity might have been a dual loading station (while one is loading unloading another is sent of to ride) or perhaps even seperate load/Unload areas. They could not alter the design too much though as this is an off the shelf design. YOu can find the exact same layout with out the heavy themeing out at Castle Park in Riverside California.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Circle of Ancients

I think it's the fastest coaster in Disneyland (between Gadgets, Space, Matterhorn and Big Thunder).

Of course Screamin' is faster.

haha yeah i used to love that ride....it was the first "roller coaster" i ever tried because it looks so innocent and is so short. its definately a good starter for kids too scared for thunder mountain and the matterhorn. the line is definately too long for us over 10 or those who can enjoy the bigger and scarier rides. the line time in proportion to ride time is definately the worst in the park...people say peter pan isnt worth the wait but gadgets go coaster is one of the shortest if not THE shortest ride in the park with one of the longest waits. i think its worth the wait if ur kid isnt daring enough to try the other coasters but other than that no way. if fact toon town for me is something i skip...u see it on the map and looks so far a way...a waste of energy and time and with no attraction strong enough to draw a crowd...sure i love gadgets go coaster and roger rabbit...the mickey and minnie houses i used to adore! but now none of them can draw me over there...o well

• Just this guy......

It's a cute little coaster and has a lot more speed that you would think looking at it, but it does suffer from being too short and the seats are way too narrow. You can't get two adults into the seats. It sees to be designed for on adult and one very young kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I was always under the impression that the cars in the train we really small. Do you think a 6'3 person would be comfortable riding this?
    Definitely not comfortable. My husband is only 6 feet tall, but he has really long legs and has to ride in his own acorn car so he can sit sideways. And he says it's pretty uncomfortable, but apparently the ride is fun enough that he continues to ride it in spite of the pain.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    A 6'3" person *might* fit, but it would definitely not be comfortable. I am 6' and I barely squeezed into it. In fact, I had to really stretch to bring my knee into the car. When I was getting out, I had to wait for the person next to me to get out so I could swing my legs over and then stand up. It's definitely possible if you're the only one in the car, but if there's another person it's very difficult to fit and impossible to get out until the other person exits.

The funny part is, there were 2 adults in our car. I had no idea how small the cars were and it was too late to turn back so we were squished into that car, there was literally no room whatsoever to move or manuever. It's quite painful going around the turns in this condition, the lap bars are already pushing against you fairly hard so any increased pressure starts to get really painful.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-07-2006 at 12:16 PM.

• Earth Intruder

At least in Gadget's Go-Coaster, unlike Mulholland Madness, you don't end up with massive bruises on your arm if you sit in the wrong seat...
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Space Mountain Fanboy

It's a fun little coaster. Great for introducing the kids to coasters. I had fun the one and only time I rode it. But I don't want to wait in that line again for a ride with only one train. Not worth it.

But if there's a short wait, I'll go on it again for sure.

I used to go on after Fantasy in the Sky ended. Watch the show from small world, then they would reopen Toontown, and many people would not really notice (right away) and all the rides (two) would have short wait times (like 0 minutes), and I remember it as short and well wild as child, until I started going on the Mountains and Indy. But I do not like Mullholland Madness or any wild mouse type coasters because the track is so small and jerky.

• For You!

I love gadget's go-coaster and so do my kids. I think I mentioned once before that they got Chip and Dale to ride it with them once - it was too cute! I just wish the frogs would spit water again - the last few times I went they were all dried up.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Minion FOREVER!

Sorry, it might be a decent coaster. But it has really minimal theming and
    it's themed to something that almost no kid knows!

I guess if the ride was bad, then it could be worse, but to me that doesn't
    make up for the fact that it's taking up valuable space in ToonTown.
    (alas, I don't like what's happened in Chip and Dale or Donald's Boat either).

Also although this has nothing to do with the quality of the ride, I've rarely
    seen this w/o a 60 min wait which makes this an extremely hard ride
    to try to ride to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast