Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liberace Land

• Banned User

Liberace Land

Am I the only person totally unimpressed with the gold ride vehicles? I for one hate them for three reasons.

First, it shows a complete lack of imagination from the imagineers. Any moron can think, "Since the 50th anniversary is the gold anniversary, things should be painted gold!"

Second, the gold cars are too gaudy! If I wanted to visit Liberace's House of Crap, I'd go somewhere else, but Disneyland isn't meant to be Liberace-land.

Third, this is only going to hold up lines. Every single Annual Passholder (other than me) is going to hold up the line because they have to ride the gold vehicle. I'd say evey guest will do this, but come on guys, we all know it's going to be the stereotypical APs who think they own the place that are holding up the line just so they can "feel special."

Anyway, that's the end of my rant about the ugliest things to enter Disneyland.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tech_Disney
    Second, the gold cars are too gaudy! If I wanted to visit Liberace's House of Crap, I'd go somewhere else, but Disneyland isn't meant to be Liberace-land.
    You read my previous post about replacing Mr. Lincoln with Liberace, didn't you... "I wish my Uncle Walt was here..."

It's wrong, so very very wrong...
    Check out my other blog:

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    One has to remember, a ot of people liked Liverace, Gosh, I wish my brother George were here.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Minion

I'm an AP and I could care less about even seeing one of the gold vehicles, let alone riding in it - - same for the photo murals and crowns. Why does everyone blame that stuff on AP's? These sound like the tacky mischeif of marketers, not actual park goers or Disney buffs.

Now the restoration of the Tiki room and Tomorrowland rides - - that's the real meat to serve with the small golden potatoes. I'm excited about those things - and the return of fresh entertainment offerings, and Buzz and fresh paint. The real longterm Magic Kingdom stuff. On those counts, I'm highly pleased with recent progress and hope for more...

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Now the restoration of the Tiki room and Tomorrowland rides - - that's the real meat to serve with the small golden potatoes.

When I first read that I pictured something else than potatoes...

But I agree with you Merlin... revamping TL is going to do more good than any other kind of investment in DLR...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    I'm an AP and I could care less about even seeing one of the gold vehicles, let alone riding in it - - same for the photo murals and crowns. Why does everyone blame that stuff on AP's? These sound like the tacky mischeif of marketers, not actual park goers or Disney buffs.

Now the restoration of the Tiki room and Tomorrowland rides - - that's the real meat to serve with the small golden potatoes. I'm excited about those things - and the return of fresh entertainment offerings, and Buzz and fresh paint. The real longterm Magic Kingdom stuff. On those counts, I'm highly pleased with recent progress and hope for more...
    Good point. I did make an enormously huge and (for the most part) incorrect stereotype about APs. Although, most normal guests probably won't even know that there are gold cars unless they see it coming around the corner into the loading station.

• Minion

I am totally underwhelmed with the "Gold Treatment." The Mark Twain has lost its dignity with it, don't like the ride vehicles or lamp posts and I'm just waiting for them to gild "Partners" in the Hub. They'll probably do it overnight and just in time for 5/5.

The only thing I do like is the Columbia's detailing with the appliques. Being an artist and craftsman there's a huge difference between gilding and slapping gold paint on something...the latter doesn't age well at all, especially in the SoCal climate.

When you think of the man hours that went into doing this, it's mind-boggling.
    Last edited by desertdweller; 04-27-2005 at 06:59 PM. Reason: grammar

• Minion

Okay everyone, calm down.
    I agree, some of it is like whoa!
    But it isn't forever, and even if its AP's getting their jollies, its not like they don't deserve to celebrate. So its a little gaudy (okay its a lot gaudy), I can see the pixiedust in the little girls eyes when they stare up at the jeweled castle, All the gold is saying something special is happening. I think with all of the back maintenance that had to be done, the buck stopped short at some point. I do agree about dear old Mark Twain, and sadly it will probably stay that way for a long time. But all in all, I know it will be wonderful. We leave in eight days!

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Tech_Disney
    Anyway, that's the end of my rant about the ugliest things to enter Disneyland.
    You obviously didn't see my date on Grad-Night. Of course, that was 1980.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Too late!

Am I the only one who thinks Rod is hot? I mean, he can play the piano while wearing gloves!!!!!
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• The one, the only...

I agree!

Painting the rides gold takes not imagination. It is the Pressler era all over. That was the time when they though that just painting Space Mountain gold with chocolate sprinkles would make it seem new!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Social Imagineer

Then again, as a decorative motif, it's not all that bad. I mean, previous birthdays have had banners and bunting and signs. Is that the same treatment we want to see again for the umpteenth time?

Some of the gold vehicles will be bad (ugh, the Twain is awful) and some might be fine (I'm looking forward to a gold carousel horse). Some of the 50 Fifties will be swell (Splash Mountain) and others will be duds (Pirates). But at least they're trying something different in the way of anniversary decorations, and I give them high marks for effort (not so high, so far at least, for execution).

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Pimp my Disneyland! I like that the touches are at least unobtrusive. Banners and bunting looks cheap and thrown together. I agree with iSm- at least these have some thought behind them and it gives you something to look for. Its classy in its own way.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast