Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Popular Princess

Re: What's with the Matterhorn?

i thought it was supposed to be a bumpy ride. that's the way it's always felt to me.
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Minion

I think its true about when they added a car, because I know it changed slightly, but it was always jerky and bumpy, and I love it that way! You do have to hold on correctly, and brace your feet as you get older, because you do feel the bumps more! Also, Fanatasyland is a little smoother I think, and a little faster maybe?And Tomorrowland side has a particular little drop turn thing, that you better be ready for! It's where it kinda feels like it will come off.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    You can always ask them to just drain the splashdown pool.
    The pool is actually part of the ride's design to slow down the cars. Otherwise it will feel curiously like Star Tours. "Brakes! Brakes!! Where's the brakes?!!! AAAAHHHH"

• Banned User

I actually like the bumpiness.

Hey, you think the Matterhorn is bad?

Get your butt down to Six Flags Magic Mountain and go ride on Psyclone - now that is one rough ride!

• I'm not really here

I love the bumps and tumbles through that mountain. It adds to the illusions of being out of control and careering down the slopes. That being said, last month the brakes didn't fire about half way down the mountain as they usually do and we absolutely flew down the lower half of the track. It was incredible. We ride that ride at least 8 or 9 times a trip and it is one of my favorites. This was a very noticeable increase in speed on the lower runs. Really caught us off guard but was a lot of fun at the same time.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Sew the Skys together.

Okay, don't get me wrong, safety does come first, so if thats what the refurbs are mainly for, I have no problem.

But, IMO, some of the extremely rough turns need to be a tad bit smoother. And like I said earlier, the fact that Space Mountain is so much smoother now, is the main reason every other ride feels bumpier.
    Who was in the kitchen with Dina?

Other names?

Bri-Own?!, Brino, Brye-Bread, Brinoquito, Brian and Brinoceros

• Popular Princess

maybe part of the refurb is checking the brakes because they have not been firing as well as they should be recently. the last time we did it we went flying, too. all i know is that the bumpiness is part of the ride. the bumpiness is what makes the matterhorn, the matterhorn!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

like alot of the die-hard Matterhorn fans are saying here...(just to reiterate)... I love the bumpiness.. and the Matterhorn isn't the Matterhorn without it.. ALSO... well-put, 'A Disney Dreamer'... Psyclone over at Magic Mountain.... YIKES... now THAT'S just f#%!@ painful/ridiculous!!!! (seriously!)... I can't even deal with that one!

Ok, too many people keep saying that the reason why the ride is so bumpy is because of the track. I'm here to tell you, no, it's not the track. Have you ever noticed while riding that there are wheels in the middle of the track? Those wheels are the reason. The rails themselves are fine. Whenever you go over these wheels, especially when you are going up hill, you will feel these bumps. Remember, Matterhorn Bobsleds is a gravity-weight attraction, meaning that the bobsleds are not propelled by magnets or computers. Ever wonder why in the first part of the ride on both sides, it looks as though you're level with the ground, but you begin to pick up speed? That's because you are going down. Those wheels in the middle of the track help propell the bobsleds upwards and to give it more speed. Without those wheels, the ride would seem like a kiddie roller coaster. When you're in line, watch the bobsleds in the station. They're still going downhill. And at the end of the ride, remember you still feel the bumpiness; it's still those wheels. Next time you go on Matterhorn, watch for those wheels.

• Animatronic

As a kid, I distinctly recall riding the Matternhorn in "Race Mode" with the start lights and the two sides starting at once. It was a single car at the time and it was much smoother as you only felt the bumps of a single car. It was also great fun to race. The next visit had two cars linked, and it was a bit less fun and a lot more bumpy. A single car gave a lot more personal experience to the ride as everyone was in the "front car" so to speak. That one change dropped the ride from an E-Ticket to a D-Ticket in my mind, much like when they overpack the boats in Pirates.

• I met Walt Disney!

I've read that the track use to feel radically different before a particular rehab in the '60's. It was at that point that the ride got bumpier..... or was it smoother.... I don't remember. If anyone has details about this, please post.

It WOULD be a bummer to lose the double rider option. I remember wanting to go on the Matterhorn whenever I took a girl to Disneyland for the first time. It was an excuse to get close :-) On second thought.... as father of a pre-teen girl, maybe they SHOULD take out that option! lol

Also... the bobsleds have wheels on two sides but rubber stops on the underside of the rail for breaking. The sleds are braked by the stops catching the rail when the brake units push the sleds up.. That said, they have more vertical play than most roller coasters, so it juggles around a lot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123