Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sew the Skys together.

What's with the Matterhorn?

Okay, almost every year, the Matterhorn goes down for a big refurb in the fall. And everytime I ride it after the refurb, the attraction still hasn't been noticeably "fixed". The track is still as bumpy as hell, there is still discoloring were the waterfalls are, and the worst part is, the brakes are extremely hard on your neck and back.

Everytime we exit, I hear people complaining about how rough and bumpy it is, and how it is rather painful. Does anyone know if it will be fixed anytime soon? Because I hate seeing one of my favorite attractions fall apart like this.
    Who was in the kitchen with Dina?

Other names?

Bri-Own?!, Brino, Brye-Bread, Brinoquito, Brian and Brinoceros

• Say no to Assimilation

Re: What's with the Matterhorn?

For as long as I can remember it has been bumpy. I don't think it's something that can be fixed. I don't know what they "fix" each year.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• U. B. Bold

The only way to "fix" the Matterhorn would be to completely replace the track as they did with Space Mountain. I don't think that's in the plans.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Sew the Skys together.

Well, if Disney doesn't do something quick, it seems it'll only get worse. I remember that someone on MouseTimes said that their mother injured her arm rather badly on one of the turns, due to the roughness.

Other names?

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by Brino
    Well, if Diney doesn't do something quick, it seems it'll only get worse.
    I think the bumpiness is part of the ride, and that it has always been that way. It's not "getting worse", it's the same as it has always been.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Neep meep beep

I think it's been bumpy from the beginning. I'm sure that Bruce Bergman can shed some light on this, but I believe that during the refurb period, they inspect the track, inch by inch, and spot weld, or replace, sections of track that have even small cracks. Everything, even the animatronics and cars, probably gets a liberal coating of heavy duty grease as well.

• FastPass n00b

I've noticed that too, it's like it goes down for an incredible amount of time only to have nothing change. It even looks like the waterfalls in some areas have been toned down to trickles of water.

I'd like to see them either fix the bumpiness or stop these long refurbs. There is absolutely no reason these refurbs should last as long as they do when the track is almost the same.

They've been constantly replacing the track... the whole thing has been replaced in phases a couple times since its opening. Also, every time, there's some little effect that gets added or plussed.

• Sew the Skys together.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I've noticed that too, it's like it goes down for an incredible amount of time only to have nothing change. It even looks like the waterfalls in some areas have been toned down to trickles of water.

I'd like to see them either fix the bumpiness or stop these long refurbs. There is absolutely no reason these refurbs should last as long as they do when the track is almost the same.
    Exactly. The refurbs are really long, and it seems like nothing is being done. I know that some of the bumpiness is supposed to be there, but I think it's a little too bumby.

Other names?

I always thought the bumpiness was supposed to feel like it would if you were riding a bobsled down an icy hill.

Well not that this means much although Matterhorn was one of the first steel tubular roller coasters in the world. The coaster designers of Matterhorn (Arrow Dynamics) have built many many other coasters worldwide, almost all of there coasters are pretty bumpy and rough!! If you have been to Magic Mountain, try riding the "Viper" and you will know what I am saying, for those who have been to Cedar Point, compare the ride of Millenium force (very very smooth-built by Intamin AG) To Magnum XL (rough!, Built by Arrow!)
    The rides are fun although Arrow is known for bumpy and rough handling coasters. As mentioned before in a previous post the only way to smooth out the ride would be a complete rebuild Probably not on the books I would imagine!

• Sew the Skys together.

^Very true. Maybe it feels rough because Space Mountain is so smoothe now.

Other names?

The track is twisted into impossibly tight turns and drops due to the size of the Matterhorn. All of the bumpiness is not intentional, but the tight turns, sudden drops, and stops are all part of the ride.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Of course it's bumpy and rough. It's an almost 50 year old "proto-type" of the industry standard. I'm glad they obsess on it annually.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Vehicle rotating backward

I finally rode it in May for the first time in decades. To put it in perspective, this is my first ride since they added Harold and the ice caves. Maybe I just have antiquated memory but it was always this bumpy, even in the days as a mountain full of cables and beams.

And if you think it's too rough, good luck on WDW's Space, which rattles and bumps and feels like it could nearly jump the track in a few places.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast