Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

Re: If YOU were the new President of Disneyland...

Yes, but I find that to be one of your many endearing features!

• Santa Barbara, CA

I'd redecorate my new office, pick out a new Yukon from the Company Car selection, pick out a new RZR phone, stick on my gold football parking sticker, and finally add my own personal Starbucks to the TDA building. Then I'd layoff enough people to pay for it all.

I guess I'm a sucker for Disney traditions.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    I'd redecorate my new office, pick out a new Yukon from the Company Car selection, pick out a new RZR phone, stick on my gold football parking sticker, and finally add my own personal Starbucks to the TDA building. Then I'd layoff enough people to pay for it all.

I guess I'm a sucker for Disney traditions.
    And you'd fit in a long line of corporate tradition. At least you mentioned laying off people. I don't think people on this board (specifically in this thread), could balance the budget for all the things they want to do!

Actually, I'd follow in the footsteps of a previous president.

Lose the paint cans and brushes, close Space Mountain, close the Matterhorn(too expensive), turn the Billy Hill Show into a generic themed store selling very generic merchandise (think of the profits!!!). I would also give attractions as little maintenance as possible so I can run them right into the ground! I will create a new dark ride with cardboard cutouts that I made myself after closing several other rides. I will close down Fantasyland and revert it back to pre-1983, the facades will be easier to maintain and it will be a huge hit when I close down 5 famous Fantasyland attractions, convert them into restaurants and shops and only open 2 new attractions!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Well, my first priority would be guest services -- I'd make sure that the calendar was ready and available as early as you need it to be for making those pesky priority seating arrangements through Disney Dining.

• ...TWO BITS!

Sorry for a long post. First, gain more power to do what I want. Assemble a team to have discussions with about the pros & cons of the following ideas (some ideas suggested by others):

1) Solve problem with CM turnover. You know the usual fix the CM break room, raise wages, benefits, etc.

2) Festival of Fools and the 2 DCA buildings for special events moved to a special in/outdoor area constructed in Timon Parking Lot Tram stop. Hold temporary scheduled special events in grassy area of DGCH.

3) Steady enhancements/plussing/improvements to all attractions (ala Haunted Mansion).

4) Help develop plans for a new Disney theme park. Not neccessarily for DLR. Park would be like having EPCOT's world showcase. Celebrates the Disney characters, myths, legends, and literary characters that inhabit those countries. In the back will be "Valley of Villainy".

5) Purchase hotel on the corner of Harbor & Katella. Either for new hotel (DLR really needs a new one, or DCA expansion). Or put new hotel, parking, mini-golf, the best of DisneyQuest (??) and water park in the strawberry field (I think GardenWalk is going through this anyway and a new park couldn't fit??).

DISNEYLAND:

1) Arrange for a Wild West comedy stunt show to play in Festival of Fools. Maybe Wild Bill is trying to put on a good show. But he's interrupted by Billy the Kid and other outlaws. Zorro comes in to the rescue... hey, a guy can dream. (I already know about copyrights issues with Zorro, so no need to go into that). After several years of this show, convert this area and backstage for Western River Expedition (still keeping BTR & zoo). Later on, construct pathway north of the river to connect to Critter Country, and other placemaking/ attraction addition projects. (refer to thread in signature)

Fix up Burning Cabin & Fort (F! boat storage moved to north end of TSI for pathway extention along river). Billy & Hillbillies perform at BTR and new GH perform similar to original show. Laughing Stock continue to be streetmosphere or share the same stage as Billy & Hillbillies.

2) Convert Motor Boat Cruise for TDL's version of Pooh ride. But the queue and station would still be similar to what is now in Critter Country.

3) South end of DCA's Redwood Creek Trail be used for 1 new & improved Country Bears. North side of RCT be new Brother Bear stage.

4) Oct 2006-Oct 2007 continue Fantasyland Theater for Disney Princess Fantasy Faire. Nov 2007-2008 demo and build new indoor FL theater on west side and Mickey's Philarmagic on east side (taking up old theater queue/ planter area and be for Toontown's Opera House or Community Playhouse- a good transition from FL to TT considering train station is TT). New entry/exit for FLT use old CM backstage alley between old FLT & Storybook land).

1st new FLT show to be "Wizards' Duel Tournment". Merlin, Blue Fairy, and other good magic people come to musical impress audience with their magic acts to win the tournment. Jafar, Maleificent, and other black magic villains come to crash the contest. They are turned away in a climax. Audience choose their favorite good magic act. The theater will be designed to look like a cross of Medieval stone construction and Festival of Fools tents, poles, flags, etc.

5) Add more trees to Toontown. Refer to Toontown improvement thread in signature link below.

6) Refer to Tomorrowland ideas thread in signature link.

7) Return Tahitan Terrace with occasional Disney characters and Dole Whip served in in a pineapple with fruit & Bengal BBQ menu- instead of rubbing lamps in Aladdin's Oasis, rub Tiki idols

DCA:

1) Convert DCA's Burger Invasion, MM, Orange Stinger, GZ, games, & play area to Discovery Bay (have to change PP hotel theme). Inventors have come to DB to share their inventions. OS new site for GZ to represent aviation. Journey to the center of the Earth type attraction but with a story surrounding St. Helen, earthquakes, & San Andres Fault line. Not sure what type of water attraction yet. New restaurant on 2nd level (good view for lagoon shows). GZ is new site for walk-through and quick service lighthouse. Will also have a Skyway station from here to a new 2nd floor on top of CA Screamin' queue.

2) Skyway station above CA Screamin queue. Queue themed to ship, surfing, or something... Mailboomer demo to be replaced with a fake hot air balloon attraction. More Victorian themeing. Midway Mania is coming. Beside this show building and also taking up more Boardwalk games will be a Disney Love Tunnel attraction. With boardwalk games, if guests do not win, earn a pin (this is done at TDS). Occasional street performer.

Beside CA Screamin's maintenance building is I think the parade float building. Convert this for bay area to lagoon shows. Construct parade float building elsewhere. Also space near Ariel's Grotto/ also under the walkway be used for more boat storage for lagoon shows. Day time parade have Victorian style speedboats & water skiers. Something goes wrong and water skiers end up on waterboards. Night show similar to TDS's show where Disney characters have their own boats. Add Belligo style water. Discovery Bay's lighthouse used in night show.

Also talked to a reader about building a Little Mermaid dark ride using Aquatopia tech right behind the wall that's between Ariel's Grotto & CA Screamin queue. But the vehicles would have same capacity as TDL's Pooh ride.

3) San Fransico Bay- the unused outdoor staging is used for jugglers, acrobatics, sword-shallowers etc. PP is good backdrop for this. Golden Dreams converted similar to TDS's Little Mermaid show, but with Circle Vision as part of show. New show is "Palace of Cultural Arts". Every season or several years, the show changes to reflect the different people's cultural hertiages that come to CA. For example, China, Ireland, etc. The empty SF buildings across from this opens up to sell cultural items- could reflect the show.

4) West of "Palace of Cultural Arts" would be an International restaurant. Serving food from around the world in different menus. Or to make it easier, a Chinese restaurant. The restaurant would be the 2nd level (good view of lagoon show & parade) on top of a Mulan dark ride. Queue is a Chinese museum and you ride dragons or carts and be enlightened by "The Legend of Mulan".

5) West of the Chinese restaurant & Mulan dark ride would be a converted MM into a Cable Car Chaos attraction. Guests enter the Cable Car museum and board their own car. Chaos ensues when at the top of the lift, the car breaks free and runs amock through the streets of San Fransico! The tracks would run in and outside (ala Matterhorn) and pass by famous SF sights.

6) Convert Pacific Wharf's Chinese Fortune Cookie factory to a similar Disney character restaurant show in TDS's American Waterfront. Add a hands-on ship in the water for guests to explore (similar to TDS's Explorer Fort ship). Add Incrediles robocoaster ride (built in Timon Lot). Add a water dark ride to follow Moby Dick, The Old Man and the Sea, and other watery literature tales (built in Timon Lot).

7) Connect TOT to FFF, close gates when parade needs to pass through backstage... Bountiful Valley Farm converted to water coaster flume ride (smaller scale than Sea World's Atlantis) themed as a irrigation system. BCF can still theme the queue's theme. And the children's show could be moved and still play.

8) Golden Dreams moved to rumored area, but with a museum type-visitor's center waiting area (similar to Lincoln) so guests can read about California and look at the miniature model of DCA. The rest of Sunshine Plaza's rumored transportaion hub/ Walt Disney's 1st CA experience is greenlight. But put the Wave fountain up front where its the first thing you encounter after the turnstiles. This way, the fountain blocks the view into the rest of the park. The fountain would say the park's name on the front and "goodbye, come again soon" on the other exiting side.

9) Enough with MuppetVision3D. Tear it done and rebuild as Muppet Movie Mayhem (Great Muppet Movie Ride). Playhouse Disney transform back into a jazzy 1920s-40s restaurant with jazz band and if there's space, dance floor. Maybe have 2 levels and themed to Brown Derby. Redo Hyperion Theater's queue- such an awful mess. Don't know yet what to do with Millionaire & H&D.

I know I will have more ideas or haven't typed up all my ideas. SO, if you read EVERYTHING, congradulations!! WHat do you think?

EDIT: Forgot to mention keep the big CA letters; CA wave fountain (similar to current one in hub) in entry plaza making a visual barrier and first thing guests see- welcomes and thanks you for visiting the park; in the hub, either Mulholland fountain or HKDL's entry fountain; transportation cars (similar to DL's Main Street) travels from Transportation hub and follows the parade route to circle around San Fransico area or Discovery Bay (with stop) and back again; San Fransico & Discovery Bay will have a NOS feeling; Condor Flats' road to DTD will have another gate to block guest view; Soarin' Over CA will add sheilds on the sides of the gliders so guests can't look back; trying to find space for the conversion of Jumpin Jellyfish to a Parachute ride & plane spinner ride in Condor Flats... maybe spinner in (I think) the west extention of Taste Pilot and parachute beside the rocket tester??; add more lights, rigging, cranes, props, cameras, chairs, etc in HPB,; I think I'm done.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 08-08-2006 at 01:27 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Banned User

Lol, if I was to answer what I would do, my post would be 50 times longer than filmfreak11's is.

• now on the mainland

Priority #1- Fix TL by bringing back the Peoplemover, putting Rocket Jets back on top of the PM and getting rid of the rocks and gold paint. Then I would apologize to the public for the grand mistake of TL '98

Priority #2- Get rid of all things with movie tie-ins outside Fantasyland. Have Tomorrowland actually repersent an idea of the future. Frontierland actually feel like old west. Probably get rid of Toontown. Get rid of Tarzan treehouse and replace Swiss Family.

• Minion

Fix the rest of Tomorrowland - - not in some potential future - - NOW!!!!

Bring on a new leader for the HR department with a higher budget to create a better quality work environment.

Bulldoze current Rocket jets ride and place it back up where it belongs away from the entrance to Tommorowland.

Have people analyze all sections of the park and determine ways to enhance the show in ways that do not require heavy capital investments.

Change the horrible new lighting recently installed in Tomorrowland Terrace.

Make the stores more themed and have purpose instead of just hawking the same goods available at every other store, take away the mall feeling.

Continue to paint and keep the park looking good.

Keep the atmosphere bands in the park, AKA: Side street stutters, Main street band etc.

Return Tarzan to the jungle and bring back Swiss Family Robinson in time for new film release.

Restore penny arcade to its original glory, while kids these days may not find the traditional arcade with 10 year old video games fun, everyone can appreciate the old penny arcade games of yesteryear.

And last but not least the most radical and important change which should really be first on the list but I will save it for last since it is probably going to make people flame is to Enhance security to esplanade with metal detectors and x ray machines. Profiling only go's so far and maintaining a more secure park in this day and age is the right and necessary thing to do. If security screening was kept before main gates it would not ruin the show at Dland entry since this is just to get into the entrance plaza.
    Last edited by CAspace; 08-08-2006 at 07:53 AM.

Wink Re: If YOU were the new President of Disneyland...

I'd go unfreeze Walt..........

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    As most know by now, Disneyland got a new President this month. If you were the new president what would be your first decision? What would be your priorities for this summer, for this year?
    My first decision, and main priority, would be to insist that I be given the ability and power to make decisions and set priorities. Because as long as Jay Rasulo and his happy band of idiots are usurping initiative, creativity, and the bottom line, nothing good is going to happen.

If you don't have the power to effect real change, there's no point in trying to do anything.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    As most know by now, Disneyland got a new President this month. If you were the new president what would be your first decision? What would be your priorities for this summer, for this year?
    1. Rework the marketing plan. So it does the following: a. lower prices for admission to DCA, b. raise prices for admission to DL. c. Illiminate So Cal select AP's. D. Increase prices for PAP.

2. Develope a 1st class nightime spectacular for DCA.

3. Actively work on a better deal for employees... Essencially the problem is that Union is not representing the needs of the workers... Think of it as a strike without a barganing organization representing the workers interest... It means sweetening the deal, not though gimmics, but with substanative changes untill there is a rention rate that is workable. It may mean letting go of key people in HR... (which isn't a bad thing... HR people aren't always the brightest jems in the treasure chest.)
    Check out my other blog:

I was just joking, I know he wasn't frozen.......

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri
    I was just joking, I know he wasn't frozen.......
    Well then, what were all those "Walt Disney On Ice" shows I used to see advertised all the time?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast