View Poll Results: How did you feel about Light Magic?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I LOVED it! I'm sad to see it gone.

1 1.79%
  • I liked it...but, I think it needed some work.

10 17.86%
  • I really didn't like it...but, I could have grown to like it with some work.

12 21.43%
  • I hated it...I'm glad it's gone!

23 41.07%
  • Other...please explain

10 17.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

This may be A LOT to ask, but is there by chance a video that can be found on the internet?

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    The best articles about Light Magic, and the one with the most details is a series from Jim Hill...

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/artic...cle.php?ID=323

Make sure and read all 8 parts....
    Maybe someday he'll actually finish the series!
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Still wants to be a cat!

Never did see the show....was during my "hate" disney time (over that now)! Got a pin from one of the people who worked on the sound, but that's about it. Doesn't sound like I missed much!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Parmageddon Jim

If anyone can PM me on how to get a VHS recording from television onto the internet, I'd be happy to share my tape of KCOP's TV special with you. The horror does lose something in the translation, but it's nearly the entire show. MickeyJCA's descriptions are right on the mark.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Super saucy pixie!

Ya know, I tried hard to like that, but I thought it was pretty lame. The music wasn't so bad, and that has actually grown on me over the years, but those weird little pixie people kinda freaked me out as well as the children around me. There were some nice aspects of it, I liked the use of color, but overall it was weak in comparison to a classic like the MSEP. There was magic infused in that and it was very Disney. Light Magic just couldn't keep up.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd
    If anyone can PM me on how to get a VHS recording from television onto the internet, I'd be happy to share my tape of KCOP's TV special with you. The horror does lose something in the translation, but it's nearly the entire show. MickeyJCA's descriptions are right on the mark.
    I have that thing on tape, too! Wasn't it, like, 2 hours long and Ryan Secrest was the host... :confused:
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Genteel Amphibian

I havn't seen it either so I voteded other.

• Minion

I'd like to see a video...I might change my mind if I saw it again now!

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    I have that thing on tape, too! Wasn't it, like, 2 hours long and Ryan Secrest was the host... :confused:
    Tawny Little and Steve Someone-or-other, I think. Before Ryan's time, I do believe.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Light Magic was the living proof of creation by commitee (or fiber optics as man's last hope). know someone said "Riverdance meets electrical parade" A druelling mutant of a parade, it staggered down the street like Frankenstein's monster. So misconceived and unintelligible, that it commanded the stunned silence of the audience by inducing shock. The sacharrin Disney video that ran the "magic moment schtick" should have been run Friday nights at Neverland Ranch. As parades go, it was the Hindenburg.. "Oh the humanity..if it only had some."
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

I remember watching some show on UPN before the new Tomorrowland was going to be opened. And I only remembered being afraid that the Pixies were goint to throw glitter in the guests eyes. But thankfully I went a month or two too late to see it.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    This show (sort of parade...) had such potential with such horrid execution. I would actually love to see some of the technology they developed for it utilized in other parades, and I, too, have grown to love the music--I especially love the new orchestration of "Baroque Hoedown" they tacked onto the end, I just got the perception that they maybe forgot to test this show on CMs first, who I'm sure would have offered constructive feedback to get it right. It's just sad that they gave up entirely on having a light show in the Magic Kingdom...there's just something magical about seeing those floats going down Main Street. I would have liked for Light Magic to be successful, it was just horrible planning...and a very bizarre final product.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd
    You have to have your vhs recording transferred to a dvd, then plug the dvd in your pc tower and save a copy of it in your hard drive.
    I do have the entire "Light Magic" show on 8mm home video as well, and may have it transferred to dvd if I can find a place to do it.

As for liking it... I thought it was ok, but my frustration with it was the way the show moved around. Having to park the floats next to the Matterhorn and Castle inbetween performances, then having to see them go all the way down Main Street and U-turn back in place. This alone made the show messy and poorly planned for me. Didn't care much for the music either, but after seening it 3 or 4 times that summer, it was just beginning to grow on me a bit. I would not mind it if they send Light Magic to either D/MGM or WDSP as I think it would fit there as an added nightime offering. Have the floast been dismantled or are they still in storage??

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Never saw it, it was gone by the time I went down there that year...but i had the music on my computer. I half expected Michael Flatley to come mincing out during it. And I saw parts of it on upn during it's opening night...and personally...half-speaking out of opinion, and half speaking out of outright bitterness...The Main Street Electrical Parade (NOT the DCA version...blah! I saw it once, was unimpressed...half the floats are gone. ) was WAY better than Light Magic. I don't see why they had to replace it in the first place--so many people loved it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy
    Paul Pressler designed it. Is that enough.
    Buwahahahahahaha. Paul Pressler. Man was that man a joke. Thank God he's gone. May he never return to stink up Disnelyand or any other Disney theme park again. Unfortunately the Disney Co. is awash in men like him these days, but at least the big one at the top will be gone soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast