Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: If the shyway closed due to disability concerns, what about Main Street Station!

Quote Originally Posted by randomnimity_gs
    On a side note, does anyone know if there is any truth in the story that a man purposefully jumped out of one of the buckets in order to sue Disney? I heard somewhere that was why they closed it. Disney lawyers decided it was too dangerous.
    http://snopes.com/disney/parks/skyway.htm

I really do believe the company had long term plans to close all of the Skyways. Ever notice that EuroDisneyland opened without a skyway?

Re: If the shyway closed due to disability concerns, what about Main Street Station!

Look it up on snopes. A guy did fall from the buckets into a tree and was injured. He tried to get some money out of Walt Disney Productions.

It is not clear the situation I am writing about was the "last straw" but I am sure that it factored into the decision to get rid of the skyway. The antics of immature teenie boppers along with the aesthetics of the ride were discussed in previous threads.

• Closed Account

The skyway was closed due to the costs involved with making them earthquake safe.

• A Disneylandian

Ah, thanks. Wow, that WDW story sounds scary!

• Popular Princess

i believe there was no one specific reason. they could have been, though are not limited to:

1. idiotic teenage antics including throwing things, spitting, yelling, screaming, trying to climb out to look cool, drugs, drinking, etc.

2. the unfortunate accidental death of the maintenance person

3. the guy that purposely(?) fell out so he could try to get some money

4. the cost of the upkeep

5. they did not meet ada

6. they would be difficult and expensive to earthquake-proof

i really don't think there can be one specific reason given for their closure, but that is my opinion only, so i'm open to anything.
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by wickeddisneygurl
    i believe there was no one specific reason. they could have been, though are not limited to:

1. idiotic teenage antics including throwing things, spitting, yelling, screaming, trying to climb out to look cool, drugs, drinking, etc.

2. the unfortunate accidental death of the maintenance person

3. the guy that purposely(?) fell out so he could try to get some money

4. the cost of the upkeep

5. they did not meet ada

6. they would be difficult and expensive to earthquake-proof

i really don't think there can be one specific reason given for their closure, but that is my opinion only, so i'm open to anything.
    The bottom line is that management and the accountaneers wanted to cut opperating costs. Although each of the items that you list, wickedisneygurl, played a minor roll in the desision...saving money was at the forefront of a new generation of decision makers' concerns. The disability claim was by and large a smokescreen...in my opinion.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-08-2006 at 08:54 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Animatronic

Re: If the skyway closed due to disability concerns, what about Main Street Station!

The skyway closed for one reason, and one reason alone. The plushie skyway vehicle flopped.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: If the skyway closed due to disability concerns, what about Main Street Station!

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    The skyway closed for one reason, and one reason alone. The plushie skyway vehicle flopped.
    That's probably closer to the truth then most other theories.

I think the skyway closed for the same reason the Keel Boats, Motor Boats, Peoplemover, Country Bears, etc.

Expensive to operate non-E-ticket type attractions don't make any sense to keep around in the post A-E ticket Disneyland
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    So then, the station is not a H-landamrk?

Tarzan was just an example. I am not advocating a lift.
    The train can be better accessed at tomorrowland and new orleans square,of course you still have to transfer to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    And that makes it historical? Is it the most recognized place in Southern California... I mean just the Railway Station. Surely there must be more to it than that. Under that thought, are notoriaous places landmarks too?
    Remember that we're talking about Southern California, where anything more than half a century old is considered downright primeval. We try to hang onto what little history we have.

• Senior Minion

Skyway was closed for other possible reasons. Read this link from Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyway_(Disney)
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Skyway was closed for other possible reasons. Read this link from Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyway_(Disney)
    Thanks, Tic Toc. Looks like a good read. I'll pore over it, tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-08-2006 at 11:12 PM.

• Grumpy old man

I always thought it was just a whole combination of things. It was too costly to retrofit the thing and would've been easier to just tear it out. It wasn't easily accessiable (the point of this thread) (also one of the reasons given for the closure of the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough), if there an emergency it's hard to evacuate people, a lot of trouble and rucous happened up there, such as the man jumping out, teenagers spitting and dumping things on the people under the cars, etc.

It was one of those, this thing has become more trouble then it's worth.

• Senior Minion

You bet. I also read in Mousetales(by David Koenig) that the real reason was because of the fear of lawsuits which is sort of mentioned in Wiki.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    You bet. I also read in Mousetales(by David Koenig) that the real reason was because of the fear of lawsuits which is sort of mentioned in Wiki.
    I read that, too...sometime ago. Caving in to the threat of laesuits is all to commonplace where business is concerned. It doesn't set well with me. Some cities and schools are removing playground equipment such as slides, swings, teeter totters, and merry-go-rounds. Lawyers and frivalous lawsuits are trying to turn us into a nation of micro-managed wusses.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-09-2006 at 12:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast