Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile If the skyway closed due to disability concerns, what about Main Street Station!

In another post, people spoke of a major reason that Skyway went "bye-way" was due to the limitations that people in wheelchairs and dissabilities could not do the ride.

I don't think this sounds right.

Could you get a wheelchair onto the top of Tarzan Treehouse?

Are there not some rides that inherently are not for less than fully mobile people?

When I was there in June, I took my stroller (YES I AM A STROLLER PERSON --- GET OVER IT!! ) off at the Main Street Station and was shocked to learn of no wheelchair ramp. The CM said it was unfortunate but this station has been declaired a historical landmark and therefore does not have to abilde by legislation calling for wheelchair access.

Is this true? How can a building of 50 years be a historical landmark!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: If the shyway closed due to disability concerns, what about Main Street Station!

The disability thing was just one of the dominoes. I don't think they had to do anything for it, just like they don't have to do anything for the subs but are making a "viewing room" just to be nice. Make no doubt about it, they wanted to shut it down whether or not that was a factor.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I was speculating that a FUTURE skyway would have to have concessions for the AWDA. I think they might have to build an elevator up to the platform, which would be pointless in most occasions (except the elderly, I suppose) since people who need mechanical aid getting up there will usually not be able to get into the cabin.

Smile Re: If the shyway closed due to disability concerns, what about Main Street Station!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    The disability thing was just one of the dominoes. I don't think they had to do anything for it, just like they don't have to do anything for the subs but are making a "viewing room" just to be nice. Make no doubt about it, they wanted to shut it down whether or not that was a factor.
    Could you mention a few other dominoes? This is very interesting.

I rememeber that they closed the very popular shyway at the PNE (Pacific National Exhibition) in Vancouver, British Columbia around the same time and I often wondered if this was a coincidence.

Smile Re: If the shyway closed due to disability concerns, what about Main Street Station!

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I was speculating that a FUTURE skyway would have to have concessions for the AWDA. I think they might have to build an elevator up to the platform, which would be pointless in most occasions (except the elderly, I suppose) since people who need mechanical aid getting up there will usually not be able to get into the cabin.[/quote]

Interesting... I am sure they could built every 15th (or so) cabin to accomodate wheelchairs.

• Minion

Re: If the shyway closed due to disability concerns, what about Main Street Station!

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    Is this true? How can a building of 50 years be a historical landmark!
    Maybe because Disneyland put the O.C. on the map? Maybe because it's the most recognized place in Southern California?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Maybe because Disneyland put the O.C. on the map? Maybe because it's the most recognized place in Southern California?
    And that makes it historical? Is it the most recognized place in Southern California... I mean just the Railway Station. Surely there must be more to it than that. Under that thought, are notoriaous places landmarks too?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

You can argue that the Disneyland Railroad is wheelchair accessible because you can board it at Frontierland/NOS, Toontown and Tomorrowland.

As far as the Skyway, California made changes to the specs required of all Skyway-type rides--wheelchair accessibility was just one component. Those required changes, along with existing maintenance and safety concerns, prompted Disneyland to close the ride.

To my knowledge, nothing in Disneyland has been officially designated as a "historical landmark." Doing so would prevent Disney from making any changes to the park.

I can't speak to the treehouse concern other than to assume Disney is not required to make it wheelchair accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    You can argue that the Disneyland Railroad is wheelchair accessible because you can board it at Frontierland/NOS, Toontown and Tomorrowland.

As far as the Skyway, California made changes to the specs required of all Skyway-type rides--wheelchair accessibility was just one component. Those required changes, along with existing maintenance and safety concerns, prompted Disneyland to close the ride.

To my knowledge, nothing in Disneyland has been officially designated as a "historical landmark." Doing so would prevent Disney from making any changes to the park.

I can't speak to the treehouse concern other than to assume Disney is not required to make it wheelchair accessible.
    So then, the station is not a H-landamrk?

Tarzan was just an example. I am not advocating a lift.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The reason not everything in the park is hanicapped accessable is because they predate the American's with Dissabilities Act. Main Street Station was grandfathered in.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    So then, the station is not a H-landamrk?
    No, it's not. We discussed it on an old thread. Some good info here: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26856

• Minion

Re: Tarzan's Treehouse,
    Didn't they build a ramp on the Pirates side (I remember complaints that it encroaches upon that area of the Pirates queue that wraps around the side of the building) of the treehouse that allows folks with wheelchairs to go to the play area at the base of the tree and experience what fun can be had banging on pots and pans and such? (Is this still there? I haven't been to the tree in quite some time.) Of course it's just a consolation prize, but neither is the Submarine screening room plan the same as actually riding in a sub.
    My finger points.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Title III of the act specifies that alternative accomodations should be made in commercial facilities when "readily achievable." Which means it's easy and affordable to do so.

This is why in newer buildings you see an elevator EVERYWHERE there's a stairway now. On the other hand, putting an elevator in a novelty submarine vehicle does not meet "readily achievable." Disney's viewing booth thing is more a token gesture to disabled folks, as they appear to be actively seeking out a positive reputation for convenience and accessability to people with disabilities.

• Closed Account

Please re-read posts 9 and 12. Those should end the discussion.

• no flash photography...

I thought they closed it because og guests doing stupid things while riding it. Drugs, drinking, spitting or throwing stuff on people below...and that guy that jumped into a tree.....and didn't something happen at the WDW skyway also and now they are both closed.

• A Disneylandian

But just so we're clear, let's understand that skyway did not close because of the ADA (since, as lazyboy970 pointed out, it was grandfathered in). Rather rebuilding the skyway might be hindered by current ADA stipulations.

On a side note, does anyone know if there is any truth in the story that a man purposefully jumped out of one of the buckets in order to sue Disney? I heard somewhere that was why they closed it. Disney lawyers decided it was too dangerous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast