Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Was 2005-2006 just a fad for Disneyland upkeep?

With all the recent changes in executive park staff and reductions to the live entertainment I wonder if now that the 50th is winding down and Matt O is gone, are we going back to the days when Disneyland was going down the tubes? Will the paint still be kept up, will the music return to the quiet streets once the musical acts are removed from the park? Please say it ain't so! Will it just be another indoor/outdoor shopping mall with rides and vacation sale booths?
    Things were looking sooooooo bright, now I cannot help but wonder what the future holds for our beloved park.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Was 2005-2006 just a fad for Disneyland upkeep?

Well, I like to believe that as long as people can complain here, things will get fixed and kept up.

Entertainers are, for the most part, a dime a dozen in SoCal.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

With a global spotlight on the park for the 50th promotion, it looks like that's what it was...a white wash. I hope I'm wrong...
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Hahaha.

Goodness. Ye of little faith!

We cannot assume anything for what the future holds. We need to see what our new Disneyland Resort President Mr. Grier will do before we can make any guesses.

Considering that Nemo is opening up next summer, along with an additional refurb for Pirates and the 3rd premiere, I think the parks will continue to be taken care of for at least another year, with all these plans about. To be honest I can't really imagine new management coming in to see all this glory about and then just let it die.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace
    With all the recent changes in executive park staff and reductions to the live entertainment I wonder if now that the 50th is winding down and Matt O is gone, are we going back to the days when Disneyland was going down the tubes? Will the paint still be kept up, will the music return to the quiet streets once the musical acts are removed from the park? Please say it ain't so! Will it just be another indoor/outdoor shopping mall with rides and vacation sale booths?
    Things were looking sooooooo bright, now I cannot help but wonder what the future holds for our beloved park.

I've actually thought the same thing but then I try to remember that Ed Grier has worked with Oriental Land Company. They keep everything up to date and new. I hope he realizes that it has to be done here also.

• Closed Account

Yes it was! And WDW was Walt's way of saying "screw you" to the man in charge of environmental preservation in the waterways of Florida!

• Senior Minion

If it was, then one could argue that the leadership of WDC is comprised largely of people with Altzheimers, who cannot remember anything past five minutes ago.

One can easily argue that the success of the 50th was attributable largely to the work which was done to fix up and clean up the park (which, sadly, did not carry over to WDW).

I can see where some, however, can and will argue that people would have flocked no matter what was done or not done, and that given the enormous amount of money that was spent in the 18 months, it's time to go back to squeezing the margins and every last drop of tourist blood.

There's no real way to know which way management is leaning on this; however, it would not be surprising if there is a fair amount of institutional resentment over the money that was siphoned into the parks for this that others wanted to spend elsewhere.

Either way, it sure was a "magical" time, wasnt it?

• I'm not really here

I have high hopes actually. Matt O did things that weren't strictly necessary for a "50th sprucing up". Like having the Lily Belle restored. That had nothing to do with the 50th... was just something he was really sad to see had slipped into such disrepair. I think he did things for the right reasons, because they should have been done.

I get the feeling that E. Grier will be the same way. TDL has really good upkeep and what others have said of the OLC is true. I'm pretty sure he will bring that attitude over with him and keep things going. I certainly hope he does in any case.

As always, time will tell.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

i think they just have to get their footing back after all that money they spent in the last 18 months. Hopefully by the end of the Holiday season we'll see things back to the way it should be. Atleast I hope...

• U. B. Bold

I hope it was not a fad. I have painful memories of what DL was like before Matt stepped in. Faded and pealing paint, graffitti, trash, Splash Mt held together by old chewing gum (shudder). It should never be allowed to get that bad again.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• It's all about Theme!

Nobody who care's about the park would see it through to go backwards.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Married and happy again!!

Time will tell, time will tell. One hopes thoughs days are gone forever, but you just never know. I hope the same mood (the mood to fix up not the neglect everything mood which seems to be the one that has caught on)catches on at WDW and soon.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

Attendance is the key, and the boom in attendance DLR saw under Ouimet will, more than likely, be more associated with the spit and polish applied to the park rather than the 50th marketing campaign. Since a steady flow of people into the park is analogous to a steady flow of income, any drop in attendance will likely be attributed to Grier deviating too far from the proven methods (in terms of success) implemented during Ouimets' tenor. Thus, in the spirit of Homer Simpson, no people and no money make Iger go crazy. Matt Ouimet raised the bar, and if Grier has any interest in job security, he will probably make a good effort to keep that bar up there.

• șoș Tom șoș

I would say the recent report by Al on the time table of improvements being set back was an indication that they bit off more than they could chew.

I believe we may not see the grueling pace we did over the last year but you must remember Quimet came into power after 5 years of stalled efforts to turn the park into a shopping mall. That was what 5 to 10 years of a 50 year history filled with a history of pride in the products and parks.

Also marked by a change in leadership attitudes at the top like removing Eisner from power, the aquistion of Pixar, putting Lasster in charge of the parks, the recent announcement to re-open the 2d studios---all reflect a company that has gotten back in tune with their audience and I would expect that momentium to continue and follow a better structure and less of the scrambling we experienced over the last year.

But thats just the bigger Disney picture applied to the one park so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Also marked by a change in leadership attitudes at the top like removing Eisner from power, the aquistion of Pixar, putting Lasster in charge of the parks, the recent announcement to re-open the 2d studios---all reflect a company that has gotten back in tune with their audience and I would expect that momentium to continue and follow a better structure and less of the scrambling we experienced over the last year.
    Wells and Eisner did what they were hired to do, which was breath financial life into a company that was bludgeoned to death by enormous dept. If you look at the corporate history over the course of the Wells-Eisner years, things began to go down hill when Wells died tragically; however, from that point on (somewhat liberal time frame), the company did not need blitzkrieg financial resuscitation more than it did visionary leadership. Disney was a pioneer, with his gaze always fixed on the horizon; whereas Eisner was unable to shake the "get lots of money and get it really fast" (for lack of a better phrase) mindframe -- after all, thats why he was hired. The acquisition of Pixar is a case in point. While other studios were stealing control of the animated film industry away from Disney with CG movies, Disney was releasing straight-to-video traditionally animated features with titles like "Pinocchio 2 - The Sequel." Walt would have embraced CG as the future of animation. Eisner didn't, and when it was too late, Disney-Pixar relations were by that time soured due to, you guessed it, financial disagreements.

I feared that Bob Iger was going to be an Eisner puppet. I can happily say that I was so utterly and totally wrong. Iger is a visionary, and thats what the company needs right now.

Wow, didn't mean to ramble on like that. Not to get off topic or anything... so, yeah, I don't think we are going to see a return to the dark age of Pressler/Harriss, and I think a lot of that has to do with Iger being top dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast