Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• U. B. Bold

Lightbulb Escape From Critter Country: an idea to alleviate congestion

Ever been trapped in Critter Country? I have and it aint pretty. This is Disneyland's very worst cul-de-sac with only one narrow pathway along the River's of America leading in and out. On busy days it can become the mother of all bottlenecks.

But what if there was another way out? A 'backdoor' so too speak that could improve traffic flow and alleviate congestion for that entire side of the park. Is such a thing even possible? Is there room?

I believe there is. While looking at some ariel photos of Disneyland today (when I should have been working) my attention was drawn to the backstage area on the Northwest side if the park - beyond the berm, that is. I started thinking (a dangerous pastime you know) and it looked to me like some sort of pathway could be constructed from behind the back of Critter Country, around the Country Bears, er... I mean Pooh show building and eventually connect up with the Big Thunder Ranch area of Frontierland.

I'm thinking a fully themed pathway along the lines of Big Thunder Trail between Fantasyland and Frontierland. Call it the Wilderness Trail. On one side would be the already fully landscaped berm of the Disneyland railroad, on the other side, well, you know, a low berm separating it from the remaining backstsage area, some tall trees, a water feature or two (a creek would be nice) and some of those fake rocks that WDI is so good at making. The railroad berm would separate the trail from view of passing watercraft on the River's of America so we wouldn't lose that nice wild country feeling back in there. Add some benches, a bathroom and a few props about Lewis and Clark or Davy Crocket here and there and, voila! You've got yourself a nice addition to Frontierland and a major improvement in park traffic flow.

Could it be done? Should it be done?
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Cool Re: Escape From Critter Country: an idea to alleviate congestion

BT it should be done if not that then maybe some type of themed people mover or something a lone those lines.

• Just this guy......

Re: Escape From Critter Country: an idea to alleviate congestion

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder
    But what if there was another way out? A 'backdoor' so too speak that could improve traffic flow and alleviate congestion for that entire side of the park. Is such a thing even possible? Is there room?
    The distance you are talking about makes for a very, very long walk. Take the train around and see how long of a distance it really is.

• is on the rocks

I like that idea - that dead-end is one of the main reasons I rarely go to Critter Country.

• Can Only Wish For More!

Talking Re: Escape From Critter Country: an idea to alleviate congestion

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrrrl
    I like that idea - that dead-end is one of the main reasons I rarely go to Critter Country.
    I totally agree!

:0(

I love Splash and Pooh. Yes, I said Pooh!
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Atomic Audioanimatronic

Would it be a possibility to add a train station there somehow? Maybe that would make more sense... or some sort of rustic limo service.

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by HotelNeptune
    Would it be a possibility to add a train station there somehow? Maybe that would make more sense... or some sort of rustic limo service.
    I love it! Bring back the stage coach!

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    The distance you are talking about makes for a very, very long walk. Take the train around and see how long of a distance it really is.
    I admit it would be a bit of a hike, but certainly no longer than walking from, say Pooh to Big Thunder Mountain on existing pathways.

There is actually no room for such a trail. The only way a trail like that could be built would be by removing a number of critical support facilities.....a large number, the largest of which is Disneyland's environmental center (read as: trash facility). Also in the way are paint shops, woodworking shops, and Circle D.

sounds like a pretty cool idea

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder
    While looking at some ariel photos of Disneyland today...
    Careful. There are a few Ariel stalkers around here.

Carry on.

Filling in some of ROA for a path (maybe 10 feet or so) would help your solution.

And having some attraction back there besides Columbia and Mark Twain and various stuffed animals to loom at would provide a reason for someone to take that trek.
    Last edited by sediment; 08-09-2006 at 03:53 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• ...TWO BITS!

I had this idea as well months ago, it's in a link under my signature below. Made LOTS of ideas to throw around.

1) Sort of what you have

2) Go under Hungry Bear's Waterfront porch and under the berm (rockwork cave) and continue a path to BTR.

3) Train station in CC would be nice, it's already so close to the original FL train station which is now for NOS. I wouldn't want the NOS to go for CC train station.

So I figured perhaps bringing back a stagecoach ride that comes from BTR area to a new CC area outside the berm. One-way trips between BTR and CC (kinda like SKyway with FL & TL).

And/or instead of a PM style transportation, use gravity cars to go back and forth (see Mill Mountain: http://members.cox.net/4sdowns/DCA%20archive.htm). Either have it like TDS's Electric Car set up (2 trains go back & forth all day, with a center split track to pass each other) or one long train of cars go back and forth all day. Here's another link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_railroad

4) I also answered this poll about what kind of Frontierland I would want. I would put Indian Village & Critter Country in as mini/sub-lands. This is what I wrote: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...08&postcount=5

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8atDisneyland
    There is actually no room for such a trail. The only way a trail like that could be built would be by removing a number of critical support facilities.....a large number, the largest of which is Disneyland's environmental center (read as: trash facility). Also in the way are paint shops, woodworking shops, and Circle D.
    Another discussion made was to purchase land north and little west of DLR. Mainly 1 large hotel and a smaller hotel that is on the corner of DL's Mickey & Friends parking lot: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...00459,0.008905 . With these land purchased, backstage can have more facilities for trash, paint, wood work, etc across the street.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 08-09-2006 at 04:06 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Disney Nerd

i like the idea of using the hungry bear lower patio as the beginning of a path that could edge around the backside of ROA and meet up with the existing big thunder trail. it would be a beautfiul walk, and then a little more could be done with the backside of the island. it would be a lot cheaper than moving long-time backstage facilities to an inconvient location.

People don't seem to realize that it's at least half again as far to go around that way as it is to just go back along the waterfront. It's really not that horribly crowded or clogged anyways, except for the spot right in front of Mansion and the Splash drop. Also, there really, really isn't space.

Unless there was a complete rework on the northend of ROA it would be a long path of, granted pretty trees and scenery bu otherwise nothing else and most guests would not like it. That and the before mentioned lack of space behind that area. Just keep in mind, whatever is not readily visible from a guest, is kept that way for reason, and is probably packed with 10 different uses.
    I agree it is a bottleneck (not as bad as MK's dreaded BTMR and Splash dead end combo) but we're stuck with it.
    Nearterm can just be dividing up the walkway like they do to Adventureland on busy days.
    My blue-sky (ie. will never happen) wish would be for a tunnel leading underground on hte east and west sides of ROA that would lead to the island. Connecting from approx, Hungry Bear to Tom Sawyer's island, and then the next leg on the other side of the island going again under the river and dumping out somwhere on the Big Thunder Trail.
    It'll never happen due to expenses, and it would necessitate the stoppage of canoes, fantasmic!, sailing ship columbia, mark twain, tom sawyer island, and the riverboas for a very very long time.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast