Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disneyland in Houston, Texas?

I don't know if I'm hearing this from a reliable source, but someone from a different message board told me that a contract's already been signed to build a Disneyland in Houston, Texas.

Can anyone confirm this?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland in Houston, Texas?

A park in Texas is a rather old rumor that I've usually seen either being a Disneyland or the final site for Disney's America. They've ben floating around for awhile and are untrue.

• Shablagoo!

I imagine that if a contract was signed we would hear about it on the news the same day. Afterall they would hold a press conference.

Astroworld just was damaged due to Hurricane Rita. Houston floods badly every few years. I don't see why Disney would build at the site of such consistant destruction. Disneyworld is inland enough to be safe, and Disneyland only is threatened by the rare earthquake.

That's not the reason at all why Astroworld was closed. It was closed because it was dirty and it sucked and nobody ever went. Not much at all in Houston was damaged from Hurricane Rita.
    Just recently got into this,

sorry if i sound dumb,

jenny

• Shablagoo!

Don't forget the fact that Six Flags is in major debt and the land Astroworld sat on is Prime Real Estate. Six Flags made a lot of money selling it to developers.

• Now in Texas!

And the fact that they made the announcement that AstroWorld would close (dated September 13th, per screamscape), BEFORE Hurricane Rita touched ground (September 24th, per cnn).

Sue (used to be in Sacramento, now Houston)

• MC's Graveyard Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer
    Don't forget the fact that Six Flags is in major debt and the land Astroworld sat on is Prime Real Estate. Six Flags made a lot of money selling it to developers.
    The original estimates for the Astroworld land ranged from $100-$140 million dollars. Six Flags ended up selling the plot for $77 million in May of this year.

http://www.sixflagshouston.com/timeline/

The rumors that Disney is going to build a park in (Branson, Houston, insert city name here, etc etc, ) have been around forever. Do I 100% know it's not going to happen...nope. If I was a betting man I would lean in the direction of "not anytime soon/ever" though.

Just my 2 cents of course, your mileage may vary.

SM-

2300+ Theme Park Photos & More

Oh yes, another "Disney is going to/building in/coming to/planning a parK; in Texas/the Midwest/China. No contract has been signed, except that it is a crazy idea.

Sorry, but what a horrible place to build a park. I've been there and my brother lives there, and it isn't were Disney should ever consider to build a park. The weather (Hurricanes and humidity){And I realize WDW gets them too, but over the years they've gotten prep and not high categories, and they don't have horrible floods in Orlando}, The traffic (it is too developed and a lot of roads are under construction), and so on. Yes, you could justify with the population being large, many people would go, but a portion might not be able to afford it.

There has only been one plan for a possible third (well it would have been second) resort in the United States (and in the midwest). It was a proposed and very close plan to build a Western Expansion-themed park at the base of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. Walt Disney himself planned it and wanted to build it indoors too, however when some St. Louis executives heard it was a "dry parK', they didn't like the idea and basically upset Mr. Disney who left with his idea and a possible revitilization for a city whose urban areas were amongst the most problematic in the country. (parts of the idea's possible attractions morphed into the failed Western River Expansion for Florida)

Houston is a big city, but I believe that if Disney were going to expand in the US, it would be further development at WDW and DLR. You might get locals and residents from surrounding states to visit in Houston, but you also siphon off visitors from the other two resorts.

I think everyone would like to see a Disneyland built in the state they live in. I wish they would build one in Northern Arizona! Phoenix is too dang hot, but go north an hour and the temp drops 20 degrees and it would be PERFECT! Ahhh.. you can only wish! California is only a 55 minute flight, so I don't mind that at all!

This rumour is as old as the hills. I live in Colorado, and for at least a decade there's been a rumour swirling that Disney is going to build a winter park here, as purportedly Disney's neice--or something--bought a bunch of land on the Western slope--absolute bullocks. Even if she did, it was probably a sound real estate investment, as I assume most of the Texas rumours are.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty
    I think everyone would like to see a Disneyland built in the state they live in. I wish they would build one in Northern Arizona! Phoenix is too dang hot, but go north an hour and the temp drops 20 degrees and it would be PERFECT! Ahhh.. you can only wish! California is only a 55 minute flight, so I don't mind that at all!
    I'd go up to Flagstaff for that!!

I don't think Disney's America would have worked, but I think that any more "Disneyland" parks in the US would just dilute the brand too much.

I agree.. they have California and Florida, what more could they ask for? Those 2 are packed all of the time, why risk a huge invesment on another one when these are working just fine! One in the central part of the U.S. somewhere may not be bad, but really... why?

Hahaha the only place we have in AZ is Rawhide which is a step above the McDonalds playground... Oh wait.. we have water parks filled with urine too!

Never been to Rawhide, though I've seen ads. Is it a big step above McD's or just a tiny one??

We have a very small water park in Tucson. My daughters love it, but I try very hard not to think about Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach and just enjoy it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast