Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

Pirates: Final Sparrow Animatronic

Sorry if this has been addressed before but I only just went on the newly refurbished Pirates yesterday.

Has anyone else noticed how little the last animatronic sounds like Sparrow. My friend turns to me and asked who voiced him, she had thought Johnny did. I told her Depp did indeed voice him, but I was a little thrown off.

He didn't sound very Sparrowish at all...
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Pirates: Final Sparrow Animatronic

Er...I've always felt that it sounds like Jack...maybe not as heavy with the things he says, but he's lying back on a chair and relaxing, so I wouldn't expect him to.

And yes, Depp did voice him.

• FastPass n00b

I just figured he was so bombed out of his mind on rum that that was why his voice sounded like that. Johnny Depp is a VERY clever actor (I'd go so far as to say the most ingenious of our time) and probably caught on to this fact when he did the voice for it.

What's funny is the man has done mind-blowing performances for the past 15 years and no one's noticed. But under Jack Sparrow, he's got more attention than any movie character I can remember. I *really* hope this doesn't typecast him because he's on the same level as Jack Nicholson, Sean Connery and Al Pacino...I can't wait to see what his performances will be like once he reaches their age. He's already amazing right now.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-09-2006 at 09:52 PM.

• The Marvel Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I just figured he was so bombed out of his mind on rum that that was why his voice sounded like that. Johnny Depp is a VERY clever actor and probably caught on to this fact when he did the voice for it.
    Haha that's a very good explanation.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

I wonder how much he charged just for those couple of lines for the AA? Maybe he did it out of the kindness of his heart?.......NAH!

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• FastPass n00b

There's also the possibility of Johnny Depp not being able to get into character. With the film, he got to dress up, shoot on location and spend all day as Jack Sparrow for months at a time. But with voicing the AA, he shows up, gets locked up in a sound booth, records his voice and leaves.

There's something to be said about on-location shooting and practical effects, it's REALLY helps actors get into character and it is incredibly difficult to just show up in an Escalade and regular street clothes then go into a sound booth to try to record a character.

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    There's also the possibility of Johnny Depp not being able to get into character. With the film, he got to dress up, shoot on location and spend all day as Jack Sparrow for months at a time. But with voicing the AA, he shows up, gets locked up in a sound booth, records his voice and leaves.

There's something to be said about on-location shooting and practical effects, it's REALLY helps actors get into character and it is incredibly difficult to just show up in an Escalade and regular street clothes then go into a sound booth to try to record a character.
    Exactly the reason I wish studios would stop casting big name actors who can't voice act to save their lives and leave it to true voice actors. Voice Acting is like acting under sensory deprivation and it's a completely different beast from Film and TV which requires a completely different skill set.

Perfect Example: Kathy Bates is in the new Charlotte's Web movie. She couldn't convey much under the conditions, but she did it anyway. The vocal track got to the animators who after listening to it determined that it was completely unusable. They couldn't animate around it. They had to hire a professional voice actor to record the lines for the animators to use and once the animation was completed, they brought Kathy Bates back to dub over the already completed animation.

Does this mean Kathy Bates can't act? Not at all. She's an amazing actress who deserves the awards she's accumulated; it's just she's not a voice actress. Plain and simple.

It truly pains me to see characters and films that could have an amazing amount of depth and meaning ruined just because the studio needed a big name to sell their product.

Unfortunately this is just one of the reasons Disney animation films just ain't what they used to be...
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• The Marvel Jedi

Nicely said Sadako. I never really thought about that.

• All you need is LOVE

I agree sadako

• I'm not really here

It could also be the venue that is affecting how the voice sounds: 9.2 THX Dolby surround sound in an enclosed, state-of-the-art theater designed for perfect sound transmission with minimal reflection of noise versus a ride in a Disney park with surfaces that are highly reflective, a roaring waterfall, the clanking of boats on a lift hill and the voice being played through a limited number of speakers that have a limited configuration due to the fact that it's a ride. Also, you are moving through the sound environment rather than being stationary in it as you are in a theater.

I did notice the voice sounding different myself and started trying to think of technical reasons why it might be so. It is definitely him, but just has a different quality to it.

Excellent point about voice acting too... I couldn't agree more. It's one of the reaons Pixar is so good. They get big names and no-names, but they all can use their voice to carry the performance regardless of fame.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I think that it sounds a little off but you can still tell that it is Johnny Depp. I just blamed it on the speakers on the ride. The other explanations make perfect sense though.

• Closed Account

Big name actors brings in the viewers! Look at most of the Disney animated movies that have moved to weekly animated shows on the Disney Channel. Most of the B and C rated actors continue on to those shows just to keep employed.

I say keep using big name actors for the movies but use voice over unknown actors that sound like the real thing for the Direct To Video movies, TV animated series, and other voice over jobs! They need to be employed too!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I think Sparrow sounds like Depp...but Barbossa...doesn't look nor sound like Mr Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    I think Sparrow sounds like Depp...but Barbossa...doesn't look nor sound like Mr Rush.
    Agreed. It's about as close to Geoffrey Rush as the Indiana Jones animatronic is to Harrison Ford!

• The Twilight Zone

i think the last jack sparrow looks different compared to the others i think the first to are great but the last one doesnt have the same gestures as the the others like the second one his eyes shift side to side moving but on the last one he just rocks the chair and waves his hands in a non enthusiastic way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast