Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Back After Missing MC

New Years at Disneyland?

My husband and I are thinking of planning a trip to Disneyland over New Years and wanted to hear from the Disneyland experts what your opinions are of the park during this time of year. I have been to the park during the summer, right before Thanksgiving, and over Christmas but never New Years. Any and all advice is welcomed

Re: New Years at Disneyland?

Do you like big crowds? They will be there too. Kinda like Fourth of July in the cold.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

New Years is one of the busiest times at Disneyland. But if you don't mind crowds (and perhaps have enhanced Fast Passes) it will make a lovely memory. And (trying not to be crude here) although there will be many people, the weather will be cooler so the crowds will be less fragrant.

• Back After Missing MC

We are going in expecting pretty big crowds (we were there over Christmas last year and saw our fair share) but are they extreme enough that it makes it unreasonable to get on most attractions?

• Rock Star Minion

First you have to get into the park. Then get in lines, use FastPass, etc. and DO NOT LEAVE THE PARK!

It's not a great day to be there if it's your only day. Packed to the gills. Hope for rain.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I actually proposed to my wife on New Years at Disneyland eleven years ago. It was more crowded than I have ever seen it. I proposed in front of the castle at midnight and it was so crowded, three other girls in the area said yes.

Seriously, I never thought it would be possible to not have fun at Disneyland but, on that day it got very close. It was far too crowded and the wait times were enormous. Just to get something to eat or drink was an ordeal and forget about going on an attraction. If you don't mind just people watching or trying to find a spot on a bench, then I would strongly recommend not going.

www.magicalhotel.com

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    First you have to get into the park. Then get in lines, use FastPass, etc. and DO NOT LEAVE THE PARK!

It's not a great day to be there if it's your only day. Packed to the gills. Hope for rain.
    We are planning more than one day but are not sure if we should go right after Christmas/before New Years or right before New Years and then stay for a few days into January. One of the main deciding factors will be park hours. The website does not post anything past September but do they normally keep late park hours after New Years?

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

New year Eve you do not leave the park. but if stay one of the DL hotel you can in and out. most of the time the gate close at 11:00 - noon.

If you one day pass you will not get back in Intill 5- 8 Pm .

if you do not get in to disneyland there is DCA.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Artsy Fartsy

I was there for 5 days I got there 2 days before new years. I had the greatest time. I didn't mind the crowds so much. (there was alot of crowds) Warning you will be fustrated at some time in the day. It will be cold and probably raining. So be prepared. And it is true you can't leave the park, unless you don't want to get back in. Good luck.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl
    I was there for 5 days I got there 2 days before new years. I had the greatest time. I didn't mind the crowds so much. (there was alot of crowds) Warning you will be fustrated at some time in the day. It will be cold and probably raining. So be prepared. And it is true you can't leave the park, unless you don't want to get back in. Good luck.
    Thanks and trust me, rain will be a welcome relief from the nasty sleet/snow/freezing cold that I am sure I will leave when I fly out of Nebraska!

• is on the rocks

I've done NYE at Disneyland in '00, '01, '02 and '03. In '04, DH and I went to California Adventure.

When we went to Disneyland, we got there at park opening, and stayed till park closing (8 am - 2 am, or 9 am - 3 am). The park is always packed to the gills with long lines. To give you an idea, one year we picked up fastpasses for Indiana Jones at 11 am that told us to return - at 2 am. But, we always anticipated this and didn't stress out - the idea was just to spend time with friends, in a place where we all knew we'd have fun. The holiday decorations are still up so it's very festive and people are generally in a good mood. The only thing I was uncomfortable with was the crowds dispersing after fireworks. Very packed, almost crushing - and you literally have to go with the crowd, there is no way of getting around that. I'm slightly claustrophobic, so I held on tightly to a friend's hand, and tried to calm myself with deep breaths until the worst of the crowding was over.

California Adventure, as you might have guessed - was not as crowded. I remember that it rained a good deal on the morning of NYE '04, so we waited it out a bit and ventured out around noon when it cleared up. Disneyland was closed off, so we went to CA instead. It was crowded, but not insanely so. DH and I greatly enjoyed it. We did need to bundle up, but it was a lot of fun. The best part of CA was that we could enjoy a real champagne toast.

Can't give you any input on New Year's Day, however - sorry.

• Circle of Ancients

Last year wasn't too bad, probably because of the rain.

We park hopped between DL and DCA and ended up at DCA at midnight. They did a cool fireworks display on the bay. If you stand over by Screamin' you can see the fireworks from DL and DCA.

You can see our NYE pics here:

http://greggandkristi.smugmug.com/gallery/1200412/1

• Back After Missing MC

Thanks Spidergrrrl for the tips. I would agree that part of the reason we want to go is to spend time in such an amazing place so if there are a lot of crowds I don't think it will be a deal breaker for us.

Great photos sir clinksalot! Thanks for sharing and for the DCA fireworks tip, I would have never thought to go over there to see the display!

• is on the rocks

LL,

You are very welcome.

I normally do not like heavy crowds, but there is something different about the holidays. I think it has to do with the festive atmosphere, but also with different expectations. We know it's going to be crowded. We know we won't be able to run around and hit everything. So we just go with the flow and see what hits us, so to speak. It really is beautiful seeing all the decorations, getting to have hot chocolate or hot apple cider and possibly seeing Christmas carolers wandering Main Street.

Oh, and thanks to Sir Clinksalot for the fireworks photos and mention - I forgot about that! We did see the fireworks over the bay, and they are beautiful.

• xmanmom

New Years EVE is always nutty, but we went last New Years DAY and it was pretty darn good. It might have helped that it was raining part of the day, but we managed to get on everything we wanted to get on at both parks AND get into Blue Bayou without ADR!

We didn't expect it to be such a smooth trip or to get into BB, but it was a very pleasant surprise! Good luck and have a great trip!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast