Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maximum Capacity

During this past 12-18 months it has seemed that there might be too many people in Disneyland at one time. Is there a maximum capacity at which they do not let in any more guests? Should there be? At what number of people does gridlock start?

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: Maximum Capacity

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMousie
    Is there a maximum capacity at which they do not let in any more guests?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMousie
    Should there be?
    The fire marshall enforces maximum capacity laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

yeah there definately is a maximum capacity i dont know what it is though

• I'm not really here

I don't know what it is either but on opening day for Pirates ride we were there and we asked one of the park security guys around the time of the fireworks if they had any idea how many people were there. He called in on his radio and got the rough estimate of 69,000. Don't know if they made an exception of capacity limits for those days or not, but the parks was packed.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16
    I don't know what it is either but on opening day for Pirates ride we were there and we asked one of the park security guys around the time of the fireworks if they had any idea how many people were there. He called in on his radio and got the rough estimate of 69,000. Don't know if they made an exception of capacity limits for those days or not, but the parks was packed.
    That day was the absolute worst day this summer. From what I remember there was not one attraction under a 40 minute wait. They definetly need their capacity limit under control.

• dL lover from hawaii

So, I've heard they will close the gates if it reaches capacity... do you get "special treatment" when staying at GCH? Do the folks staying at the on site hotels get to go in still or are they turned back also? Does anyone know about this?

Disney doesn't like to talk about 'how many people' they get, or the hourly counts. The largest day (when I worked there) was 86,000, on August 17. Anything over 50,000+ is a deal breaker for me.
    The only 'special treatment' you get is what you pay for.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Bear
    Disney doesn't like to talk about 'how many people' they get, or the hourly counts. The largest day (when I worked there) was 86,000, on August 17. Anything over 50,000+ is a deal breaker for me.
    The only 'special treatment' you get is what you pay for.
    I really love that line about special treatment, it's SO true. People always expect special treatment, but they don't always want to pay for it. This holds especially true in places like Las Vegas.

If you don't mind, I'd like to use that as my sig from now on. It's an ultimate truism.

As for the park's capacity, I've heard the number 80,000 batted around but I'm sure it's much more precise and accurate than that. I bet it really fluctuates based on the number of rides open, number of CMs working and stuff like that.

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by Niele
    So, I've heard they will close the gates if it reaches capacity... do you get "special treatment" when staying at GCH? Do the folks staying at the on site hotels get to go in still or are they turned back also? Does anyone know about this?
    I don't know about the hotel but I did read this entry from Opus1guy from the "Applying for Club 33 Membership" thread when asked about admission into the park if you are a Club 33 member(http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33084).

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    In addition to the many other benefits of Club 33 Membership, Member's can consider themselves as holders of a sort of Super Premium Annual Pass...or a Premium Annual Pass Plus, if you will.

Whether or not they are dining at the Club, a Club 33 Member may sign in themselves and one guest (anybody they wish) 365 days a year on a Complimentary Park-Hopper basis for both persons, whenever the Parks are open to the General Public.

I'll point out another little "plus" of Club 33 admission policy. You're pretty much guaranteed admission with your Club 33 card, even when Disneyland has shut it's gates due to maximum capacity days. This was recently highlighted last year on Disneyland's July 17th 50th Anniversary, when Club 33 sent a letter to it's Members reminding them that no matter if admissions were stopped at the gate for the general public, or Annual Pass holders, or Disney Resort hotel guests, or Cast Members...that Club 33 Members would be guaranteed admission at any time.

Another somewhat little known Admission benefit to Club 33 membership, is that as long as the reservation is made through Club 33, Complimentary Park Hopper Tickets are issued for everybody in the party for those dining at the Vineyard Room at California Adventure. It's an exception to the "everyone in the party must dine at Club 33 to get the comps" rule. This provides the Club 33 Members with a nice dining option if they elect to dine in that Park. And it also provides Members with a nice alternative if they should find Club 33 sold-out on the day they wish to visit the Parks.
    Last edited by LlamaLover; 08-10-2006 at 10:40 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

Maskes sense. Since Club 33 knows how many guests will be in the park for its use, those guests can be counted against the capacity.

It has varied through history as well. It's for safety reasons, and when guests can't get around, due to, say, ODV carts in the walkways, guests NOT in an elaborate queue and are instead in line for another ride, closed attractions or restaurants, cast-member shortages, etc., all these things serve to lower capacity for a given day.
    Increased capacity should mean more revenue, so increasing capacity should be a strategic initiative. You'd think.

Also note that number of guests passing through turnstiles and capacity are not 1-to-1. 80,000 guests could have passed through on a day when 70,000 is capacity. People leave, others come.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Bear
    The largest day (when I worked there) was 86,000, on August 17.
    Wow! I thought the cap was somewhere from 70,000-72,000.

• MINIATURIZATION!!!....

Exclamation All that REALLY matters is the capacity of the RIDES!

Regardless of max park capacity, the real dealbreaker on a crowded day is that there used to be many more higher capicity rides in operation that aren't right now or never will be again...

Adventure Thru Innerspace, Peoplemover, Carrosel of Progress/America Sings, Rocket to Mars, & Subs, in Tomorrowland alone used to swallow up huge crowds on busy days and offered alternatives to wandering the streets and shops, fighting for space with the strollers... Elsewhere, Country Bear Jamboree was a nice respite with a LARGE capacity on busy days and even the Mike Fink Keelboats did their job of packing them in while providing some nice activity on what can now be a rather solitary river.... I also miss the mini Autopia and kid's boats over near Matterhorn.... that was a fun place of activity which swallowed up MANY inattentive crumbcrunchers and kept them from screaming and getting fusssy... this same area now only houses a couple of drink stands that don't even stay open all day and night...

Some of that capacity in recent years has been slightly offset by Toontown, but with only two attractions which either load slowly or break down a lot, the number of guests actually ON rides is lass than in the past and only contributes to the feeling of there being TOO MANY people in the park on a given day.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Niele

Well, I wouldn't call it "special treatment", more like great customer service for their paying guests, but when we stayed at the DL Hotel (which we usually do) last summer we were let in the Park when it was supposedly "at capacity".

We entered through the Monorail Station. All that we did was show them our AP's and our DL Hotel room "credit card". There was a separate line of folks waiting to get in that we were able to bypass.

Of course, once we actually got in the Park, it was so crowded that we really didn't care to stay, so after people watching for a while and meandering around, we went back to the Hotel and enjoyed the Neverland Pool for the rest of the day.

• dL lover from hawaii

Please forget I used the term "special treatment", I just meant if you're staying at GCH do you get entrance to the parks once they reach capacity. Thank you all, especially PirateMickey for your info. I'm hoping if DL reaches capacity that we can still sneak in DCA through the hotel entrance.

Re: All that REALLY matters is the capacity of the RIDES!

Quote Originally Posted by Atomobile
    Regardless of max park capacity, the real dealbreaker on a crowded day is that there used to be many more higher capicity rides in operation that aren't right now or never will be again...
    I also miss the mini Autopia and kid's boats over near Matterhorn...
    The mini Autopia was taken away to make access for "It's A Small World",
    which I think that has more capacity than the cars and motorboats.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast