Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Donald's #1 Fan

Sad Does anyone of you think it's all over, and we are looking for something....

...that can't be found anymore?

Maybe everything was over before I was born, the day Walt died. Perhaps the Walt Disney Company was him. I don't know.

All I know is that I see Yesterland, and it's hard not to think it was better in every way.

True. We have many wonderful attractions today. Indiana Jones is great - no way something like it could have been done while Walt was alive.

But, to be honest, most of the things the Disney company has done suck. Hong Kong Disney - a park with no attractions. California Adventure, a park in search of a theme, decent attractions, and people. Disneyland Paris Studios, or whatever it is called - does it have any attractions at all?

Frankly, when I look at Disneyland, I'm really looking forward to the classics. The Haunted Mansion, the Pirates, It's a Small World (yep, I do). The Matterhorn. Stuff like that. As I said before, not everything that has been done afterwards is bad (Fantasyland is something I love, as Star Tours, or Splash Mountain). But the magic is slowly dying.

Take Tomorrowland. They should call it graveyardland. Nothing to see here, folks - at least nothing worthwhile, except for that old classic, Space Mountain. Sure, Buzz is nice, but it has nothing to do with the future. Innoventions is a cheap shopping mall without cash registers. HISTA is painful to even think about. Star Tours has been running without any improvements for.. what? 20 years or so?

I shudder to find out that I go to Disneyland not because of what it is now, but what it used to be and represent. I see what Disney has become, and I now realise I dislike it. I dislike the way they treat their employees, the low wages they pay, the crummy movies they produce, and their attitude.

But wow, how I still love Disneyland.

• Closed Account

Re: Does anyone of you think it's all over, and we are looking for something....

Disney Philosophy 101!

Good points! Have you considered if Walt were alive today would he approve of all the changes that have been made to the park? Has Disney Management continued his legacy in Walt's vision?

<Ponders a moment>

Re: Does anyone of you think it's all over, and we are looking for something....

Let's get the facts straight:
    The Walt Disney Company was not Walt.
    Walt was Walt Disney Productions.
    The Walt Disney Company is a concoction of Michael Eisner.
    Old Disneyland died when Fantasyland was redone.
    Sure, the buildings look better, but it also became the corporate machine.
    And if Walt were alive today, I don't believe there would be a DCA, it would still be the parking lot; or at least a theme park worthy of bearing his name.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• insufferable know-it-all

Ah but Disneyland Paris itself is gorgeous. So yes, it can be done.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Bear
    The Walt Disney Company was not Walt.
    Even when he was alive? I guess all the official and unofficial biographies that I have been reading about him are not true...

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Ah but Disneyland Paris itself is gorgeous. So yes, it can be done.
    The problem with Disneyland Paris is not the park but the location. It is in a climate that is too cold to attract visitors all year. Walt considered too things when picked locations for DL and WDW, available transportation and climate. He wanted a year round park. When he picked Florida for WDW, he wanted it because of the climate and central location to freeways. It was just swaps then. NOW it is a major entertainment center. Disneyland's location was also picked for freeway access and climate.

If Walt were going to build a European Disneyland, I believe he would have picked a location in Spain or Italy, near the Mediterranean. Those are the countries that Europeans go to for vacation since it is warm and sunny most of the year.

I believe that Eisner picked Paris for the prestige. It is just a pride thing. As a business move, it has caused many problems, such as French opposition to having an "American" park in France, high costs for tourists to travel there, a surplus of hotels already there, and so on...
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

I am in agreement with much of what you wrote... but I, just speaking for myself, need to always "work" harder. The magic is not in Disneyland. It is in you. It is in all of us. Walt created a venue for us to feel free to allow it to come to the surface.

We must keep vigilant and allow ourselves to be imaginative and childlike.

I wonder when Walt said "Disneyland is your land...." did he mean, we will be the keepers of the spirit if childhood and imagination, not just ride in a teacup but allow ourselves to lose ourselves.

As we get older and we think about the Old Tomarrowland, and miss the days of our Childhood where there was a Star On The Mattahorn at Christmas, a pirate ship in Fantasyland and lineups to get into America Sings... it is easy to point at the failings of others and the things we have no control over.

But, just as Peter Pan needed to grow up (Well he did in Hook, anyways), we do too, and to keep the magic alive, we must work at it. Yes I get shivers whenever I hear the announments of the parade starting or fireworks beginning, but if I try hard enough now, I get that in everyday life when I say "Good Morning" to my family.

It takes work on our part. Let their part be for discussion but our part be for magic.

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    I am in agreement with much of what you wrote... but I, just speaking for myself, need to always "work" harder. The magic is not in Disneyland. It is in you. It is in all of us. Walt created a venue for us to feel free to allow it to come to the surface.

We must keep vigilant and allow ourselves to be imaginative and childlike.

I wonder when Walt said "Disneyland is your land...." did he mean, we will be the keepers of the spirit if childhood and imagination, not just ride in a teacup but allow ourselves to lose ourselves.

As we get older and we think about the Old Tomarrowland, and miss the days of our Childhood where there was a Star On The Mattahorn at Christmas, a pirate ship in Fantasyland and lineups to get into America Sings... it is easy to point at the failings of others and the things we have no control over.

But, just as Peter Pan needed to grow up (Well he did in Hook, anyways), we do too, and to keep the magic alive, we must work at it. Yes I get shivers whenever I hear the announments of the parade starting or fireworks beginning, but if I try hard enough now, I get that in everyday life when I say "Good Morning" to my family.

It takes work on our part. Let their part be for discussion but our part be for magic.
    I like your thinking.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
    Even when he was alive? I guess all the official and unofficial biographies that I have been reading about him are not true...
    The company Walt was in charge of was Walt Disney Productions, like Brer Bear said.

Frankly I think "The grass is always greener on the other side."

• Minion

I feel like Beatle johnny.
    While I don't always like the changes, or really don't want an attraction removed, I am always looking to the future, and keep the magic in my heart. The park was always meant to change and evolve.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Minion FOREVER!

I don't think the "Magic" is over. (and if it really is over then it's been
    over for a while since almost everything you wrote has been history
    for a while now).

Case in point, the 50th was IMHO very well done. It restored as much as
    can be done of DL's lustre in a very short time. TL today actually is
    much better than 2 years ago. (remember? gold paint everywhere, no BLAB,
    no subs in the works, rides breaking down, yes, we even had labor problems
    then, too!)

HKDL actually although very small and having relatively few attractions
    is by all accounts a very nice park with high quality behind what's there.

TDR still manages to keep high standards and much about TDS shows
    how wonderfully imaginitive and creative Disney can be. (Have you
    seen the *outside* of their ToT?!?)

But WD Company *is* (for better or worse) a much larger company
    than in Walt's day, and it will take very smart businessmen, TLC and
    good imagineers to keep the "Magic" going instead of just fixating on
    the bottom line.

Anyway, my two cents....

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    I like your thinking.
    Me too! And the only forum that we have for this type of input is at the annual stockholders meeting! As a (2) two Disney stock stockholder my input is probably be worth less than 1 billionth of a percent compared to Disney board members. BUT! In mass we can implement change! Look what happened to the evil Eisner! Gone! And mostly from the encouragement of stockholders pushing the board to make a decision (and Roy E as well!)

We need to ban together and request changes since Walt did say that Disneyland is your land!!!!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    The company Walt was in charge of was Walt Disney Productions, like Brer Bear said.

Frankly I think "The grass is always greener on the other side."
    True but Walt had a big part in monitoring the day to day construction of DL until his death. His brother closely monitored the construction of WDW until his death!

Unfortunately there was no other Disney relative to continue on with Walt's vision. That is what happens when something small becomes extremely successful. You lose sight of the customer!

• Banned User

Yet another "things would be so much better if Walt were alive" or "If Walt were alive he'd say and do 'A, B and C'......" thread.
    *Sigh*. 40 years later and people still think like this.
    Last edited by bornagainaz; 08-10-2006 at 01:53 PM.

• Closed Account

Talking Re: Does anyone of you think it's all over, and we are looking for something....

Quote Originally Posted by bornagainaz
    Yet another "things would be so much better is Walt were alive" or "If Walt were alive he'd say and do 'A, B and C'......" thread.
    *Sigh*. 40 years later and people still think like this.
    You mean he's not frozen? I thought he was in cryogenic stasis only to be thawed out when he is really needed.......like NOW!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast