• Circle of Ancients

Re: Fast Passes are the new Ticket Books

See post #9

or this... http://www.yesterland.com/abcde.html
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Smile Re: Fast Passes are the new Ticket Books

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    Whoops! It seems that the only post I skimmed over was an important one! Sorry bout that!

How many tickets of each did you get in a packet? Were the lines long for the rides that took lesser, more available tickets? The low ones, I'm supposing?

Thanks!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I don't know how the 8 ticket books were divided but in the 11-ticket books one would get 1a, 1b, 2c, 3d, & 4e tickets. In the 15-ticket books one would get 1a, 2b, 3c, 4d, & 5e tickets.

So you see. There were plenty of tickets available for the more exciting attractions. It was the minor attractions that had a limited number of tickets. I laugh when I hear people mention that they have closets full of a and b tickets....because this would mean they were going to Disneyland a lot more than most people and never experiencing the minor attractions. A book of 5 E tickets only was also available inside the park. Anyone who really, really did not want to go on the minor attractions could have purchased one of these to go on E-tickets all day long if they so desired.

When I went there in the Summer of 1979 the only attraction that had a wait longer than 10 minutes was Space Mountain(which was about 35 min.)

The American Egg House in Town Square had a much longer line than any attraction(about 90 min. for breakfast).

• Inhospitable about happy

Going to DL in the summer, in the sixties, meant long lines and not very entertainingly designed queues. It was just part of going to DL back then, and you didn't think twice about it. It was nothing to wait an hour for the Bobsleds. In July or August, the lines for the two runs typically wrapped around the mountain and almost bumped each other.

Disney learned a LOT about moving large numbers of people through attractions with their NY World's Fair exhibits, and beginning with IASW in 1966 they started doing a much better job at designing "people eater" rides. Despite all this, lines could be very long.

The tickets were a means of keeping these lines down at least a little bit, by denying people the possibility of riding big, popular rides over and over.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2
    I'm old. I was there. Tickets stunk.
    I'm old too. Ditto. I believe we can thank Magic Mtn and maybe Knotts for forcing Disney to go to a "Passport" alternative (in 1980?) and then just general admission/no tickets.

• U. B. Bold

The only thing I really don't like about the Fastpass system is that it forces you to run around all over the park to collect them. This breaks up the continuity and the enjoyment of each land for me. In the old days you would do one land at a time before moving on to the next one and you could really immerse yourself in the theme that way. Today you've got to run over to Tomorrowland to get your Space Mountain Fastpass before your Indy time is due and then go back to Adventureland and so on...

I don't recommend bringing back ticket books though. They were a pain. What I would recommend is centrally located Fastpass machines in each land (like the ticket booths of old) where you could pick up FPs for any park attraction that offered them. You would still have to pick and choose and plan your trip, but it would eliminate a lot of the "Land Hopping" that we are forced to do now.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The people who hate FP are the people who walk into the park for just a few hours because they are AP holders who now are flustered their Stand-by line is slower in their perspective. They are only there for a short period and they don't gain from the benefit that FP offers everyone because they are not willing to come back and ride the ride 2-3 hours later like everyone else would.

The other group of FP haters are DL locals who hate FP because DL is so cramped its queue designs couldn't integrate FP easy (like Indy).

For everyone else FP is a huge gain. Nothing used to be the hallmark of Summer Vacations in WDW like the MONSTER lines. Now, an exception instead of the norm.

The only thing I really don't like about the Fastpass system is that it forces you to run around all over the park to collect them.
    BigThunder.. that's only if people are trying to 'maximize' their FP stuff, which of course is a personal preference. There's nothing saying you can't get the FP you want for that area.. then explore the rest of that area while you wait for your FP timeslot.

You can't run around and get them all at the same time anyways (unless you are one of the people trying to maximize your FP tickets due to the way DL and DCA's FP network is setup). For the rest of people, you get a FP and typically don't get your next one till you ride yours, or till you get to another land anyways. With the 2hr wait window, you can't just circle the park and pickup all your FPs for the day.

If anything I'd say one disappointment is the fact that FP allocations can be out by mid-day on top attractions. That's pretty rough.

I certainly enjoy WDW much more now then trying to race your entire group to get on an attraction first so you don't wait 90+ minutes to ride something once.

When we do want to get FPs ahead.. we simply send one person ahead to pick them up. Much easier then moving the whole herd quickly

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by belleariel412
    and i still dont understand the pirates thing...how fps made the line long....
    Someone correct me if I am wrong here but Pirates, in essence, is basically like two rides. If both "rides" are operating at peak capacity the line can be handled much easier. However, if only one "ride" is operating at peak capacity and the other(the fp one) is only loading when the fp holders arrive now and then instead of in a steady stream you end up with a line over twice as long as it should be.

• Say no to Assimilation

Are you referring to the fact that they load 2 boats at once? I know the lines has 2 sides and one side was for fast pass and the other side was for stand by but if there was no one in the FP line, they would still fill both boats with the standby que.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    Someone correct me if I am wrong here but Pirates, in essence, is basically like two rides. If both "rides" are operating at peak capacity the line can be handled much easier. However, if only one "ride" is operating at peak capacity and the other(the fp one) is only loading when the fp holders arrive now and then instead of in a steady stream you end up with a line over twice as long as it should be.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie
    Are you referring to the fact that they load 2 boats at once? I know the lines has 2 sides and one side was for fast pass and the other side was for stand by but if there was no one in the FP line, they would still fill both boats with the standby que.
    Yes I was. My theory is squashed though if they were filling the extra boats with the standby queue. Oh well; somebody must have an expanation.....where's Kevin Yee when you need him?

• Neep meep beep

This has been discussed almost ad naseum on this board - fastpass is a "win win" for both disney and their guests - it gets people into restaurants and shops instead of lines, and rewards guests who plan ahead (and avoids the complaints of people that can't get into the rides they want).

Al Lutz had an update about this recently, and it's agreed that the system, as it's set now, with increases in time according to ride capacity, just spreads out ride capacity over a longer period of time, instead of the usual 11am to 5pm peak hours.

Fastpass is here to stay, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2
    I'm old. I was there. Tickets stunk.
    It depends. If you had limited funds, you ran out of tickets (or at least the good ones). Then you either went home, or hung out at the park enjoying the freebie stuff.

As a result of this lines would get shorter towards the end of the day. If you could fford to buy tor tix, then it was pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    fastpass is a "win win" for both disney and their guests - it gets people into restaurants and shops instead of lines,
    That was the intent. However, they seem to congregate in walkways, especiialy in Adventureland.

Does anyone have any inflation adjusted figures for tickets and admission?
    I mean, how much would it cost to ride an E ticket today?

btw, I was in both eras. FP all the way.

• white and nerdy

The only argument against fast pass that holds water is the fact that the stand by lines, while shorter than normal, are much slower. In truth, you are not waiting longer than you would have, you are just moving slower which can be excruciating.

The old saying about Disneyland was "You need to leave something for next time." Now, with proper fast pass management, you can do pretty much everything you could want, and a few things you don't want, in a day for both Disneyland and DCA. I think it's great.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast