Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Popular Princess

Question DCA: Is There Hope for It?

the idea for this thread was inspired by the thoughts expressed by a few people in another thread i started.

dca is a little over 5 years old. is there hope for it or is it doomed to fail?

as far as i'm concerned, at 5 years old, the park is still young. it will grow and change. it has the potential to become great. i mean, look at disneyland at 5 years old. the dl of 1960 is not the dl of today. it has changed and become great. there are many, i'm sure that thought the park would never make it as long as it has.

part of the problem is that dca is next door to one of the world's most famous theme parks so everyone compares it to it's famous neighbor. people need to evaluate dca with an open, clear mind and i feel they will find a park that is trying desperately to succeed and may actually manage to do it.

is there hope for dca?
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• I'm not really here

Re: DCA: Is There Hope for It?

I think there is definitely hope for DCA. I agree completely that it is unfair to compare the 5-year-old DCA to the 51-year-old DL. You simply can't. In those first 5 years of DL's life, think how many things changed and were added. DCA is just getting going.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

But as a counter-point, when Disneyland opened, the Disney company had no real experence running theme parks (they did talk to and get a few people that worked at other parks, such as Knott's Berry Farm to join the company).

But when DCA was designed and built, the company had over 40 years of operating parks, building rides, etc. in 4 different locations, and multiple parks.

And at the same time, Tokyo Disney Seas was designed and built with folks from WDI. Alas, the management at the time tried to use WDI as little as possible for DCA, and came up with a park that failed to deliver, especially compared to TDS.

Of course, there is always hope that DCA will be changed and improved on, but what was delivered over 5 years ago was a sub-par product from a company that had become known as the industry leader. What we got was a park that could easily been built and run by Cedar Fair, Six Flags, Paramount, Universal, etc.....
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 08-11-2006 at 01:50 PM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Down Pluto!

There is always hope...

• ...TWO BITS!

Yes.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Former Epcot CM

Everyone is talking about DCA like it is a disaster. It will probably never reach the brilliance of Disneyland, but it is a functioning, profiting theme park. Far from a failure. Yes, it has a HUGE margin for improvement but it's not Armageddon people.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion FOREVER!

Yup, there always is hope.... and I agree that it's not "bad"... it just that it's right
    next to DL. It really needed to be "great", but management at the time did
    everything to convince themselves that THAT level of spending and effort was
    not necessary.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Everyone is talking about DCA like it is a disaster. It will probably never reach the brilliance of Disneyland, but it is a functioning, profiting theme park.
    Says who?

And a lot can be done with how they split up revenue from ticket sales of the "Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for FREE!" tickets, and the AP and multi-day ParkHoppers.

But company officials have admited the park is "under-performing" and many cost cutting measures have been taken to reign in costs.

Based on my inside sources, the current situation has DCA at about a break-even situation with about 1/3'rd of the ticket revenue being assigned to DCA (other than one day, one park ticket sales). That is not paying the debt and other corporate expenses.

No wonder that Bob Iger went on record during the company's annual stockholder meeting on March 10th, 2006, when someone asked about a potential third park being built in Anaheim. "We're still working to assure the second gate is successful", Iger said, referring to California Adventure. "In the spirit of candor, we have been challenged."

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Going back to the "Hope" question

Yes there is, but lately you have seen more cuts, looks like the DEP is back on Hiatus after Labor Day, BPB is going on Hiatus at the same time for a few weeks (at the end of the fiscal year... can we say BUDGET), and looks like the Screamin' refurb has once again been delayed.

What is needed is for Management to make up their minds, Jim Hill has reported that Bob Iger has agreed in principle to hundreds of millions of investment in DCA to try and improve its profitablity...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32042

I could recommend a lot of things.

Build a real lobby with restrooms and concessions where the current Hyperion Queue is now. Start using the venue for more special events.

Fix the horrible Soarin' queue.

Do something with the Farm area, and build some REAL attractions in the area.

And for image reasons, get rid of the Paradise Pier area.

And that is easier than you might think, if they are willing to spend the money. After fixing up other areas of the park, you can relocate some attractions, shops and food. Such as the Carousel being moved to the Flik's Fair and Farm area, move the Cove Bar to the west end of the Wine Country Tratorria (which is not being used at the present), move Strips, Dips and Chips to the old Farmers Market, and serve Pizza at the old Lucky Fortune Cookery. The San Francisco building can open as a shop instead of the empty space (or the old Xcade).

Build a gate in front of the Golden Dreams Theater (which would be closed), this will allow parades to continue most of the time. Then tear down the entire area, including the lake. Rethink the area and build something that could be found at Tokyo Disney Seas.

Anyways, there is Hope, and I think that with the RIGHT changes, you can see folks willing to pay for the park, instead of waiting for it to be offered for "Free" in the latest SoCal promotion. And I think that was one of many problems when they built DCA, they failed to take into consideration that Disneyland was designed and built in the center of the SoCal area to draw mainly LOCAL visitors to the park.

• Rock Star Minion

There's nowhere to go but up. And there's always the possibility that guests will give up hope and lower their expectations of it down to "Well, it's slightly better than Knott's or SFMM or Uni, and it's right here next to DL so when we can't stand it anymore, at least we can go next door."
    Wait, I think that's already happened.

You'll know that DCA has arrived when there are tons of guests in the Esplanade at an impasse whether to spend their day in DL or in DCA, because both will offer a full day of fun and adventure and magical experiences.

We've got tons of threads (very heavy ones) with tons of advice how to improve that park. To me, that means lots of people have hope for it. (It also means that lots of people don't like it in its current state.)

Meanwhile, DCA has done what it's was supposed to do: cripple the competition by being someplace additional to go with a multi-day parkhopper and AP instead of going to that competition. (See: Legoland for Sale and SFMM for Sale signs.) That doesn't make it "arrived" nor a Disney-level theme park to me. But I have hope. It's all I have.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sea Creature

I heard that Ouimet had plans to change, drastically change the park. Completely overhauling some areas to the point where they weren't recognizable. I think the rumored all mission style front plaza would be nice, but that would also take away the Golden Gate Bridge which I admitedly like. The idea of changing the Paradise Pier theme to a 50's Coney Island-ish theme would be nice if it was nostalgic, not authentic. I also liked the idea I heard here on Micechat of changing the wharf into Chinatown.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I agree with DB on this one. There is no hope for DCA,
    UNLESS Paradise Pier is closed, bulldozed, and something with imagination is added to this huge section.

DCA primarily needs a New Orleans type of area, with a couple attractions with the appeal and longevity of the Haunted Mansion and Pirates. There is no question that DCA will never truly be a Disney park without that kind of spark.

• Popular Princess

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    I agree with DB on this one. There is no hope for DCA,
    UNLESS Paradise Pier is closed, bulldozed, and something with imagination is added to this huge section.

DCA primarily needs a New Orleans type of area, with a couple attractions with the appeal and longevity of the Haunted Mansion and Pirates. There is no question that DCA will never truly be a Disney park without that kind of spark.
    does that include bulldozing california screamin' because without that, i think my hopes for the park would be sorely hurt? as far as i can tell in the threads i've read and started, many people like this ride and would be upset to see it go. although, i do have to agree that some parts of paradise pier need to be gotten rid of and the area does need to be rethought.
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickeddisneygurl
    does that include bulldozing california screamin' because without that, i think my hopes for the park would be sorely hurt? as far as i can tell in the threads i've read and started, many people like this ride and would be upset to see it go. although, i do have to agree that some parts of paradise pier need to be gotten rid of and the area does need to be rethought.
    Screamin' is a great roller coaster, but I can find better at Knott's, SFMM, etc....

A LOT of locals drive by the corner of Katella and Disneyland Drive/West Drive, and they see the same basic image as if they drove by Knott's or SFMM. This has a major impact on the locals.

What needs to be done is to replace Screamin', which is a basic coaster with a THEMED coaster as can be found at Disneyland.

I'm going to dissagree a bit

I don't think DCA is doomed at all

with the local market it is in a bit of rough water (alot of that could be attributed to it's name as well)

but it has increased the amount of guests staying at Disney owned hotels and buying multi day tickets which was objective #1

I don't find it to be a terrible park at all but having made my second visit to it this year I'm going to say it does lack a bit of repeatablity

I do think it will grow with time and that Disney needs to fix several design issues (alot of which are shade related)

I will also agree that along with the name keeping Californians from visiting Screamin does make for a terrible icon in alot of ways

I mean you see the park from the entrance and it has what appears to be a cheesy replica of a California landmark and when you drive past it or look at it from the side you see Screamin so what else is there to think except that it's filled mostly with Carny rides and cheesy replicas of California landmarks

I don't neccisarily support a drastic change in theming as it would make the park a bit conviluted in it's design and exicution I do think that the California theme is reworkable into something that would do better

of course I've written up plenty on that in my numerous threads

anywho I do think there is hope for DCA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast