Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• FastPass n00b

The Lockers at Disneyland

Now, because so many of us go to Disneyland on a regular basis, we tend to overlook some of the coolest things at Disneyland that we take for granted. For instance, the lockers are really neat nowadays. Remember back in the day where you'd put in your quarters, turn the key and then remove it to lock it? Well, now they have a fully electronic system that works like an ATM! It is so cool, what you do is you insert a credit card, which you'll need since the fee is $3 to $6 (!) and then select your locker number. There's a button on each locker (no keys at all) and this button blinks when it's ready to be opened. To open it you simply walk up to the central ATM system, enter your PIN number that it's given you, push the blinking button on your locker and, bingo, no keys or quarters whatsoever.

It sounds kind of confusing, and it really is until you get used to it, however it's really neat to watch and do. But after paying the stinging price of $10 for parking and $60 to get into one park, $6 more for a mediocre-sized locker just chafes. Much like the modern coinless Vegas has allowed for 400-credit penny machines and lightning fast spending, the central ATM system in the Disneyland locker facility allows it to charge outrageous prices. Just like no one could sit at a penny slot machine and put 400 pennies into it without coinless technology, it'd be very hard for Disneyland to charge $6 because that's 24 quarters.

I'm sure Walt loves the brand spankin' new technology in his park, but the nickel-and-diming motivations behind it probably have him pretty pissed off. In any case, it's really neat and I just thought I'd mention it for the people who don't make it to the park on a regular basis. Sometimes these small but fascinating things get overlooked.

• Defying gravity

Re: The Lockers at Disneyland

You're right - the lockers in DL are cool!!!

WDW still has the old ones. You pay a CM and then he/she hands you a KEY. A real key - no fancy electronic code like at DL. The lockers in WDW are very dated, compared to the futuristic ones in DL.

• Drunken Disneyland Master

What's real cool is some of the lockers have an electric outlet so you can charge your camera or cell phone!

Yeah...$3-6 is much better than 50 cents.
    Maybe they should move the lockers to Tomorrowland...
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Bear
    Yeah...$3-6 is much better than 50 cents.
    Maybe they should move the lockers to Tomorrowland...
    It should be noted that the $3 to $6 is for all day and you can open and close them to retrieve your stuff as many times as you want. The old lockers required you to plink in more quarters if you wanted to open and close them more than once.

We used them on our last visit and found them very convenient.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Closet DLR fan

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder
    I definitely found the convenience worth the price. I love being able to bring a ton of stuff with me - food, extra water bottles, sweatshirts, sunscreen, etc. - and still be able to walk around the park with nothing but a tiny purse with my park ticket and wallet in it.

• A Pirate's life for me!

We use the lockers on most of our trips.They are very convenient and kind of cool to use. The kids always (beg) want to punch the PIN in to open them up.Hey, maybe they can call the lockers another interactive attraction!!! LOL

I've never used the lockers, I always carry everything in a backpack. They have a locker system like this in Santa Cruz at the Boardwalk. It's pretty cool!

• Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo

I like the locker idea. My friend & I always go together & take the kids, who are 1 1/2 & 3 years old. We have to take SO much stuff with us. We normally hit DCA first & do all the little people stuff there & then around lunch time head over to DLR. We are thinking of just putting most of the stuff in a locker & then on are way to DLR stop & replenish snacks & drinks & have the girls eat lunch (a healthy one that we brought)!

We used to just return to the car to retrieve our jackets, etc. if they were needed. But now that the car is in its own zipcode, the lockers come in very handy and the in-and-out for one fee is a better system then before. However, it would be nice if we could have that feature at a better price.

• is on the rocks

It should be noted that the $3 to $6 is for all day and you can open and close them to retrieve your stuff as many times as you want. The old lockers required you to plink in more quarters if you wanted to open and close them more than once.

*nodsnods*

I don't usually need to use a locker, but my friends and I found them very convenient on NYE. We'd stuff blankets, extra clothing, snacks, a bottle of sparkling cider and plastic champagne glasses. It was nice being able to get in and out of there for no additional charge.

Thumbs up Re: The Lockers at Disneyland

I agree! I'm also one of the people who won't normally use a locker (just keep stuff in my car and run to get my jacket if I need it later), but when I travel with friends or family with small children the lockers work great!. Plus we like the ones over by GRR in DCA since they are free based off the wait time for the attraction, just put everything in there, ride, and go get it for free right after you get off.
    -Wes

Puting the laptop in a locker is great. Not lugging it around all day is great. Sitting in one of the bars with free wyfi, and relaxing for a while, then going back into the park, is great. And not having to go all the way back to the car is great.
    Let the magic continue.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

Plus, if a few (4 - 5) people split the cost of the larger locker, then it only comes out to a couple of bucks each. Plenty worth it, IMHO, if you plan to bring stuff (laptops, etc.) to the parks.
    -Monorail Man

• Lost in Wonderland

I love the lockers at DL I got one every day I was there last Feb, and plan on doing it again in Oct. Yes the prices are a little pricey, but what isn't at Disneyland? You get used to it and pick and choose where you spend your money. It's a lot easier on you to spend the $3-6 (for all day) to leave stuff on Main Street then to drag it around or leave it/retrieve it in your car.

And here I thought DL was behind WDW. I don't remember where I heard this from, but I thought WDW had thumbprints for lockers! Maybe thats for APs and I am getting it confused. Thumbprints would be even easier because you never lose your thumb!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast