Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• A New Kind Of Villain

"Drawn to the Magic" Review & Photos - Worst DLR Show?

I caught a showing of "Drawn to the Magic" earlier today. This is the show that plays in the outdoor theatre across from 'Monsters Inc.' in the Hollywood Backlot area of DCA. It has to be the most pointless show I've ever seen in DLR. It's basically a 20 minute commercial for the Animation Building, considering they actually end the show with the line "To learn more about Disney Animation, please visit the Animation Building right across the street."

There's no real story. Basically 3 "animators" come out to talk and sing about what they love about animation. The first animator loves heros, the female animator loves princesses and the last animator loves magical companions. A lot of the songs recycle Disney music (Like "A Dream is a wish your heart makes" and "Go the distance") and try to mix them together kind of like the Ariel/Belle/Snow White sequence of Fantasmic without any real point. There is a very mild interactive portion of the show where the animators each pick a kid from the audience and have them pose and say a line as a Hero / Princess / Magical Being (In this case, the Genie).

The only other part that stands out is the final number where a character comes out for each animator and they dance/sing together. The first animator gets Woody (Toy Story), the second gets Cinderella and the third gets Sorceror Mickey. After the show the Woody, Cinderella and Sorceror Mickey have a meet and greet; and the animators go out into the audience and give their drawings to a kid they pick from the audience.

All in all, the show is rather pointless and dull with subpar musical numbers and no plot at all; plus it's outdoors so it's not even a good place to sit down in Air Conditioning to beat the heat. Do yourself a favor; skip the show and head directly to the Animation Building. I love that place. I could spend the entire day in there just watching the videos around the main room change. I can't even give a recommendation for this show to children like I'd recommend 'Aladdin and Jasmine Storytelling Adventures'. It's not very interactive and there's not much to entertain the kids other than the characters coming out at the end.

Best part of the show: The female animator became my hero when as she was walking away from the show, she noticed a piece of garbage on the floor left by a guest and was cool enough to pick it up herself and throw it into the garbage can less than a foot away.

The animators come out and talk about why they love animation:

The animators pick kids to pose and speak as they're favorite character types:

The animators show their drawings:

The animators sing about wanting to be like the characters they love:

The characters they love come out for a grand finale of more singing and dancing:

For more information and for something truly worth your while, check out the Animation Building in DCA's Hollywood Backlot!
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Neep meep beep

Re: "Drawn to the Magic" Review & Photos - Worst DLR Show?

I completely and totally agree. I was sad when I caught this show recently and saw the bottom of the barrel production values. The show doesn't even really make sense, and better presentations take place in the Animation building steps away, daily.

The highlight for me of the performance I saw (I was standing watching) was when Cinderella walked over to me, and said, very sternly, "Hey - you're standing right in my Greeting Space".

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

The origional goal and intent of this 'production' was to get people into the animation building, so it played along the street.

However, after the Hollywood Studios makeover of the back section, they decided to put it on the stage. While it didn't make any sense outside on the street, it didn't have to. However, this 'show' shouldn't be on the stage.
    -Monorail Man

• ...TWO BITS!

^ True it played on the street infront of Animation to bring in more people inside. But this caused a lot of crowds on the street and became inconvenient. So they moved it on the stage.

I like this show. It reminds me of Animazement. True, the only real point is to get people inside Animation building. So you have to think in perspective that this show was made as streetmosphere entertainment that eventually moved on a stage. It wasn't originally designed for the stage. Not sure if that would change your mind just a little.

There's quite a few videos of this show on youtube.

Worst DLR show?? I don't think so.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Premium Youngling and

Well this show wasn't any good in the first place while it was in front of the animantion building but the made it that much worse by bring it to the other stage.

Thanks for the pics Sadako

• Zero Blockout Dates

Caught most of it one day while trying to stay near Monsters Inc., waiting for it to reopen after it broke down. We were so unimpressed and uninspired we fled the area. We're usually good to go with just about any Disney live entertainment in the parks. We like to stop and watch everyone. But we were unanimous on this one "Drawn To Magic" ranks near the top of things/shows we don't much care for.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

I may be the odd ball, but I actually like this show. The mix of classic Disney music is always nice to hear. I must say though, this show did fit much better right in front of the Animation building as a street show. Had a bit more charm to it, because it doesn't really need a full-on theatre. I don't understand why this show would be the WORST show ever. Disney noticed that attendance wasn't too great in the Animation building, so they decided to make a show trying to encourage more visitors to visit the attraction. Aren't they allowed to that? The animation building contains exhibits about ANIMATION hence....an animation show. I think the Disneyland resort needs to have a different variety of shows. All the way from simple street shows all the way to Fantasmic! type shows. If you don't like the show, that's cool because we all have our own opinions. But remember one of the GREAT things about Disney is that they provide things for all KINDS of people.

By the way, in case you haven't seen the show, here's a video from Visionsfantastic. This show was recorded when it was shown in front of the animation building.

VIDEO
    Last edited by dchun2007; 08-13-2006 at 01:30 PM.
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

• Why do you keep talking?

Your not alone dchun2007, I caught a bit before it moved to the stage and I thought it was cute. It's not ment to be Fantasmic! or Aladdin.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Defying gravity

I like "Drawn to the Magic." It's a minor street show - nothing more, nothing less. Last time I saw the show, it was being performed in front of the Animation building. At least it has a stage now.

• 1 Fanboy to Rule Them All

I love the Disney Animation building, but have never seen this show. Still, I'd like to check it out at least once. I'd be sad if it one day disappeared.

Your photos were great. It was like being at the show myself. Thanks for sharing.

that does sound dumb....its like make a decision...do u wanna talk about animation...or do a disney review???

• Why do you keep talking?

Why not both like Drawn to the Magic? Why does it sound "dumb" to you?
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

Altho I respect Sadako's opinion about DTTM, I also totally disagree with her about how the show is dull and pointless, and not worth seeing. The show is meant for it's simplicity and cuteness, and it's not there to *WOW* the guests.

I will admit, I didn't care for the show when it first began. But that's not because I thought it was dull and pointless. But before DTTM, they used to host another street show called, *Chance To Shine* that I absolutely loved. So when they got rid of that one and brought on DTTM, I was a bit stubborn and refused to enjoy it. But after seeing just a few performances, I really began to like it. And now, whenever I'm at DCA during the day, I always make it a point to catch one of their shows!

Whether the show is playing on the out-door stage or in front of the animation building, it's always a fun 20 min show to watch. And I especially like how each of the performers will talk with you or take pictures after the shows. That personal touch is something I've always enjoyed with the smaller street shows.

So if you're wanting a show more on a lavish, up-scale type, then I would suggest Snow White (before 9/5) or Aladdin. Otherwise, check out DTTM and let me know what you think.

ENJOY!

• Earth Intruder

This show is basically Animazement lite. Yes, I didn't particularly like Animazement or this show but they are at least watchable.

As far as bad shows go, I think worse shows in recent memory are Aladdin and Steps in Time. The very worst Disney show I can think of is the one by the farm in DCA, where the "Emcee" of the show would tell bad jokes and then ask the audience "Get it? Get it? GET IT? GET IT?" after every single joke she told. Oh man, you just wanted to shoot that b*tch after two minutes.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast