Thread: Historic Help

• hang on to your hats &...

Historic Help

Does anyone remember what years Disneyland used to have the "Japan Festival?"
    I ask because I'm trying to finish my scrapbook and I have picutres of me when I was very young, dancing down mainstreet in traditional Japanese clothes...I vaguely remember it...I DO remember that all of us who were in the parade got free tickets! I participated in the "Japan Festival" once...but can't remember the years...the only person who really knew was my grandmother who left this world years ago.

I'm positive it's DL too because there's the COW in the background in one picture and in another, we're dancing in front of Coke Corner. Please inform.
    -Grant
    Carpe Noctem

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Historic Help

Quote Originally Posted by nakturne
    Does anyone remember what years Disneyland used to have the "Japan Festival?"
    I ask because I'm trying to finish my scrapbook and I have picutres of me when I was very young, dancing down mainstreet in traditional Japanese clothes...I vaguely remember it...I DO remember that all of us who were in the parade got free tickets! I participated in the "Japan Festival" once...but can't remember the years...the only person who really knew was my grandmother who left this world years ago.

I'm positive it's DL too because there's the COW in the background in one picture and in another, we're dancing in front of Coke Corner. Please inform.
    -Grant
    Well I love WWW
    Search on the Web and this what I found The Year is 1981 sound wright to you.
    ths will take you A web site That have old Disney Cards.
    http://www.perry.com/disney/cards/card27.html
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day o 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

That's neat. I think I was 5 or 6, so 1981 sounds about right. I didn't find that site, so thanks for the help! I'll just put 1981...who's gonna know?! LOL
    Carpe Noctem

• Minion FOREVER!

Hmm. don't remember for sure, but I could have thought that they did this
    several years. I know that they definitely held it because my parents
    went to do something in it. (obon odori, I think)...

I was already in college, so I didn't get to go.

I would have placed this in mid 80s (since my brother was already in school, too),
    but early 80s is a possibility.

Thumbs up Re: Historic Help

You're right Nish! It was like the traditional Japanese "Bon Odori" dances - also similar to the dances that go on during the Nisei Week festival and TOFU festival in Little Tokyo.
    I remember atteding one and watching my grandma dancing and the following year or so I was in it...I remember seeing a "headless Mickey" backstage as the crew tried to get the head on top of the costume...the person inside was a girl! (a headless Mickey is something a 5-year-old probably shouldn't see...)

I would like to remember more vivid images, but the most important thing is that DL holds very special memories in my heart. Walking down Main Street, especially towards Coke Corner and towards the theatre gives me a warm-fuzzy feeling inside. As soon as my friend can scan the old, yellowing photos, I'll post them (somehow), somewhere on this site.
    Carpe Noctem

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Hmm. don't remember for sure, but I could have thought that they did this several years.
    Yep. It was done for several years. I've got several different Cast name badge ribbons that were worn various years for this event in my collection somewhere.

• Boat shoes all day long

I went to the Japan Festival! It was cool because even though I am only 5'10", I was still able to see over the heads of everyone during the parades!
    Horay!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Talking Re: Historic Help

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf
    I went to the Japan Festival! It was cool because even though I am only 5'10", I was still able to see over the heads of everyone during the parades!
    Horay!
    Did you remember seing a little boy (the only boy in the parade) dressed in a blue "happi coat" while everyone else wore purple?... (that little boy would've been me!)
    Carpe Noctem