Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The antidote for the "pigs" and the "line-jumpers"

There are always a lot of postings regarding the guests who litter, line-jump, step on you , push past you. The people full of self entitlement and hubris. All kinds of boorish behavior. There is not a way to stop people from behaving this way,but...we can be the ones who make a statement for good behavior and try to return Disneyland to being The Happiest Place on Earth. Let's try THANKING the sweepers as they pick up the trash, Let's THANK the bathroom cleaners ( the most difficult and thankless job in the Park). Let's be bold and speak up to line jumpers and point out their rudeness. Let's tell parents that are exhibiting good parenting skills that we notice and congratulate them on their patience. Let's smile at the CMs (even if they don't smile back). Let's THANK them as we are helped onto the ride and as we exit. I realize this might be too much of a Pollyanna moment for some people, but then do not be too quick to complain of other's bringing down the atmosphere at the Park. You are there too. Oh, and maybe the most important act of positive thinking...when a stroller gets run up the back of your legs, and it isn't the first time or the tenth, turn and smile, say thats okay, It IS crowded today. We make a game of it. The person in our group that gets whacked by a stroller the most frequently gets a treat at the end of the day. If everyone here who loves Disneyland, and all for which it stands, made an effort, maybe it wouldn't make a difference to anyone but ourselves, but it would make a difference.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: The antidote for the "pigs" and the "line-jumpers"

Good ideas. I know my daughter and I always make it a point to pick out at least one CM every visit for whom we write up a complement card at City Hall. There's always at least one CM who does something "magical".

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Been there...Done that.

With the exception of the stroller scenario, you have described the way that we act when we visit the Resort. Including the compliment cards at City Hall.

The strollers on the other hand though, cross the line for us. As with being vocal about the line jumpers, I don't waste any time telling the person who rammed us multiple times what I think about them and their "driving" skills.

Once, is considered an accident and quickly forgotten. Twice, gets noticed. And a third (and final time) brings out the "best" in me. I guarantee there won't be a fourth "accident".

And if anyone so much as taps my wife with a stroller (who has had reconstructive surgery on her foot and ankle) they don't get a second chance to do it, if you know what I mean... (hey, I've got to protect the ones that I love)

Thanks for bringing this stuff up!

• Banned User

You know what is actually funny, my mother has said that the bathroom cleaners and the lower positions know more about Disneyland itself than any other position out there.

That being said, I think they should get a lot of respect - that job is hard.

• I have Disney Love!!!!

I think that a lot of the things that you said people should do about being nice and smiling at people is how people should act anyways. If everyone was nice to just a few people in the day, you never know maybe one of those people you said hi and smiled to was having a really horrible day and you made it better. Or one of the parents that DON'T let their child be rude and annoying to people you say you have a beautiful child, you just prevented them from beating their kid. I was raised to treat people the way I'd like to be treated no matter what.

Thats some good stuff you posted Retromusie.I always thank the the sweepers and go to them if I need any info.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    Good ideas. I know my daughter and I always make it a point to pick out at least one CM every visit for whom we write up a complement card at City Hall. There's always at least one CM who does something "magical".
    We do that to And while my wife is sometimes busy with kids and such and doesn't have the chance, I always thank every CM we come in contact with. Even the ones just standing by the line and counting guests.

And so true about the janatorial/cleaning CM's knowing all about the park. Another great place to get ANY kind of info is the first aid station behind the Plaza Inn. We go in there at the beginning of a day and ask where characters will be and when and they always call it in on the radio and get us a list so we don't have to waste time looking for them. It's great.

I like the ideas about thanking other guests that are being good guests. I'm going to start doing that. Thanks for the thread and the suggestions.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• decorating

I ignored advice to stay off this board, as the people tend to be negative.
    I have really had an earful, and can't believe how some people seem to really think that Disneyland is more for the regulars than the tourists.
    Not to mention the patience needed by anyone there when such a vast blending of cultures can meet (don't let me get on about my London Underground experience) and what people consider appropriate. If you can't handle the crowds, don't go! If you can't handle the trash, remember how little you are actually seeing for the amount of people. It's insane how clean the park really is.
    Strollers, well, you're angelic with the strollers.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMousie
    I realize this might be too much of a Pollyanna moment for some people, but then do not be too quick to complain of other's bringing down the atmosphere at the Park.
    Not at all! Though I have been accused of being a bit of a Pollyanna myself. So I love what you have said here! I love it and I live it, not just when I am at DL, but even when I go to WalMart or the grocery store -- just any old place.

Oh, and since you mentioned the bathroom cleaners, let me just share real quick here.... I met the most remarkable person cleaning in the upstairs restroom at the PPH. You know, the restroom right at the top of the stairs, kind of above the movie room? No? Well, I only went in there for a quick stop after check out, before we jumped on the 5 for the dreaded drive home. She had just cleaned the restroom and I could tell she had been cleaning outside by the pay phones, because they were sparkling and each phone had a perfectly placed notepad and PPH pen. She had such great pride in her work, the place was just glowing. I told her how gorgeous it looked. The restroom looked beautiful and I wanted her to know how much I appreciated it.

As for the stroller rammers, I am always as nice as I can be, unless I am truly hurt, and even then I am pretty darn forgiving. The only time I get a little snarky is if the rammer looks at me like I am the one at fault. Then I have been known to apologize and ask them sweetly if I am in their way. Evil, I know. I do try to be understanding, because I remember when I had my two in the double stroller, and it was hard to maneuver through the crowds. I had some people weaving and cutting me off, making it difficult to avoid them when they jammed in front of me only to have to stop short due to whatever obstacle was obstructing my progress in the first place. (I wasn't one of those stop-in-the-middle-of-foot-traffic-stollerpeople, I swear I wasn't)!

I haven't been to Starbucks today, but am feeling rather loquacious, having wandered *ALL* over this topic.

• Self-Described Good Guy

Smile Re: The antidote for the "pigs" and the "line-jumpers"

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Lover
    I think that a lot of the things that you said people should do about being nice and smiling at people is how people should act anyways. If everyone was nice to just a few people in the day, you never know maybe one of those people you said hi and smiled to was having a really horrible day and you made it better. Or one of the parents that DON'T let their child be rude and annoying to people you say you have a beautiful child, you just prevented them from beating their kid. I was raised to treat people the way I'd like to be treated no matter what.
    Very well said, and bears repeating. Thank you!

• Minion

Excellent food for thought!
    Thank you for planting that seed, although I do some of the things suggested regularly, I fall short in some areas, and will begin to remedy that next week when we are there.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• xmanmom

Good stuff and perfectly timed for my trip on Thursday. We typically are very polite people in the first place, but these is a good reminder for anyone.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    I tried doing this on my last trip, and the line for city hall went down the steps. And there was only one cast member behind the desk at the time. Who do you complain to about not being able to compliment someone!!

Wait...er...

In any case, I didn't see these cards of which you speak. Do you have to wait to be handed one by a CM, or are they supposed to be on the counter?

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    The strollers on the other hand though, cross the line for us. As with being vocal about the line jumpers, I don't waste any time telling the person who rammed us multiple times what I think about them and their "driving" skills.

Once, is considered an accident and quickly forgotten. Twice, gets noticed. And a third (and final time) brings out the "best" in me. I guarantee there won't be a fourth "accident".
    I think that these ideas are great. I need to make sure that I am leaving compliment cards for the great CM experiences that I have.

On another note. I don't understand how anybody could hit somebody more than once with a stroller. I have a two year old and a stroller. First, I bought the smallest stroller I could find so that I would be able to see where the wheels were at all times. Second, I have only hit people once or twice and it was always in the congestion after Fantasmic or the fireworks. How you could hit somebody and then hit them again is beyond me. Truly amazing that somebody could be so detached that they could repeatedly ram you.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    In any case, I didn't see these cards of which you speak. Do you have to wait to be handed one by a CM, or are they supposed to be on the counter?
    You have to ask for them at City Hall. They really should leave them out on the counter or something!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast