Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Banning Liquids from Being Brought onto the Premises

Disneyland already requests that food and drinks not be brought into the parks. Should this policy be expanded to encompass all liquids, and how should such an initiative be implemented?

• Grumpy old man

Re: Banning Liquids from Being Brought onto the Premises

I'm not sure it would be taken well. As was mentioned in another thread, a lot of people will probably see it less as a saftey thing and more as a way to force people to buy their water in the park.

I'd be in favor of restricting liquids from the premises, but the challenge for Disney would be to somehow control the liquids being brought into the hotels.

Disney's security measures around the resort are not what they should be, and Disney's bomb-sniffing dogs are not really able to detect the constituent parts of the types of explosives against which the new airline precautions are intended to protect.

I'd think they'd go with metal detectors or more than a cursory bag search before suddenly banning all liquids... as it is that type of threat could be from something a lot more primitive now.

Sad to think about, but I really, really doubt Disneyland would ever do something that extreme unless there was a specific threat or some reason to have extra tight security. And even then, considering how many folks bring babies with things like formula, medications, and all that, no matter what you do Disneyland just can't be nearly as secure as an airplane.

• insufferable know-it-all

NO. No more limitations. No more stupid rules whose only value is in making stupid people feel safer, while being completely ineffectual in preventing anything. No more extra hassles for nothing.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I don't think that theme parks share the same level of concern over peroxide based bombs as the airlines. As stated by many folks earlier, several people have medical conditions which mandate large amounts of water. Selling dansani at $4.00 a pop isn't going to engender much good will from guests who just shelled out $75.00 to get in. I don't see how they could ban all liquids.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    NO. No more limitations. No more stupid rules whose only value is in making stupid people feel safer, while being completely ineffectual in preventing anything. No more extra hassles for nothing.
    Exactly. It would be seen as a way to bilk people out of money by purchasing beverages in park because *gasp* that's exactly what it would be.

The current "security" lines are a joke. They don't even check people who don't have bags, so anyone could have anything in their pockets. What do we want at Disneyland? Airport scanners? Remove everything from your pockets and place all bags through the X-rays? (Frankly that would create better "security" than right now banning all liquids.... but would cause HELLISH lines to get inside.) Again, simply banning liquids would create zero more security than currently exists.

And banning liquids in the hotels? You have to be kidding me. There are restaurants there. And people actually SLEEP in a hotel, which means they'd actually need toiletries.

Frankly, if Disney does all that then the terrorists have WON. We will be terrorized by our own water bottles. Sorry, but F that.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Ditto.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Drunken Disneyland Master

No.

+3 !

• I'm your huckleberry.

Here here Goonie! My feelings exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

The major concerns involving liquids are: (1.) the use of an explosive device to contaminate a part of the property with radioactive materials and (2.) the use of an explosive device to control one of Disney's large stores of energy.

With attendance in the tens of thousands everyday and the high profile of Disney's properties around the world, to think that they are not potential targets of some doomsday cult or terrorist group is a little naive.

Video recordings of Disneyland and Universal Studios have been found in Afghanistan, and the Japanese cult that killed several subway passengers a few years ago specifically cited the Anaheim property. So, the management has a responsibility to the shareholders, the employees, and the guests, as well as the insurance companies, to secure the site in an effective way. Doing so may be challenging and may require some creative thinking, but addressing those potentialities is certainly not "stupid".

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Disneyland is bordered by public roads and private property. If you want to do some damage drive up and detonate. There is no need to get inside the parks if you want to cause damage.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Doing so may be challenging and may require some creative thinking, but addressing those potentialities is certainly not "stupid".
    Oh sure, and we should walk around all day completely terrorized that something horrible is going to happen to us at any second, and ESPECIALLY at Disneyland. Yes, let's let the terrorists win.

Addressing "what do we do in the event of a terrorist attack" is not stupid. Having Disneyland security try and prevent terrorist attacks by banning all liquids from the parks IS stupid.

And I'm not sure where your financial responsibility argument comes into play. Disneyland has security there, it isn't like there is NOBODY there doing anything. I'm pretty sure they're meeting their standard of care. They don't have a financial responsibility to the insurance companies on this one, as long as they aren't lying about the level of security they currently have. There is no legal or fiscal reason for them to secure the park like an airplane.
    Last edited by Chernabog; 08-14-2006 at 12:05 PM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

i COULD NOT AGREE MORE. And water isn't the only issue here. Sunscreen lotion? Hand cream? Aren't there sometimes liquid medications that people need to have with them? Eye drops? Where exactly would you draw the line...Let's not give the terrorists the satisfaction of living our lives in fear!

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast